• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Burning off fogging oil?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes we don't see freezing temps often but have heard from dealers and even Yamaha direct that antifreeze is not needed. Just blow the water out with three short blasts of throttle at at least half power or more to blow the excess water out of the water box and anywhere else it might be pooling.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am curious how many cans of fogging oil should be used to really fog FOUR minutes on each engine?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I fogged for a couple of minutes and used about 3/4 of a can. I think it differs if you talking the new 1.8s vs the older MR1s.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As far as fogging goes, I have to disagree with Will's video of starting it back up after fogging it and replacing plugs pre winter storage. I have always been taught and it makes logical sense to not replace plugs if you are fogging as the oil can foul your new plugs, save them for your post winter start up. Also I fog like Will does loading the motor eventually killing it. Then I would pull the safety lanyard and crank it a few seconds to evenly disperse the oils on the walls and thats it. Post winter storage, fire it up, hook up a hose and get it to temp. Then replace your old plugs with new and enjoy the season. Allowing the motor to run will burn off any oil in the cylinder defeating the fogging purpose. Granted our engines are aluminum alloy along with the pistons but the rings are still high carbon steel and they can rust. If you feel you must start it back up, then I would pull the plugs at that time, give a shot of fogging oil in each cylinder, while plugs are out, crank it a few seconds then replace the plugs, but I would still use the old plugs till I fired it back up out of storage just to save the chance of possible fowling of the new plugs. Other than that, Will's video is a great step by step in my opinion.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
On my 1.8. Am I sucking the oil out the dipstick chamber opening or the cap on the top of the motor

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
On my 1.8. Am I sucking the oil out the dipstick chamber opening or the cap on the top of the motor
Draw it out of the dip stick.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And fill back up through the cap on top iwould assume. Doing it all rt now. Extracting is going very easy so far via dipstick. Any added tips anyone ?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And fill back up through the cap on top iwould assume. Doing it all rt now. Extracting is going very easy so far via dipstick. Any added tips anyone ?
Before you pull the oil filters to exchange, lay a disposable absorbent bed pad (something like this: http://www.northshorecare.com/underpadbeige1.html) under the engine below the oil filter.

You will almost certainly spill a little (or a lot) of dirty, black used oil when you pull the filter. The disposable pad will contain and absorb such spills and more minor drips - such pads are larger than diapers and lay flat, so well fit for this purpose.
When done, crumple up the pad and dispose. This will save you some awkward, inverted cleanup under your engines.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Before you pull the oil filters to exchange, lay a disposable absorbent bed pad (something like this: http://www.northshorecare.com/underpadbeige1.html) under the engine below the oil filter.

You will almost certainly spill a little (or a lot) of dirty, black used oil when you pull the filter. The disposable pad will contain and absorb such spills and more minor drips - such pads are larger than diapers and lay flat, so well fit for this purpose.
When done, crumple up the pad and dispose. This will save you some awkward, inverted cleanup under your engines.
I tried putting a zip lock bag over my filter and had paper towels underneath. Bad idea as I ended up in the awkward, inverted cleanup under my engines position. The zip lock bag slowed me down in getting the filter off and didn't stop the mess. The paper towels are no substitute for a good incontinent pad or the one you list above. If you've got size 6 diapers around those might work too.

I needed to clean down there anyway, so now it sparkles.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You could also take a long screwdriver and pop a hole in the rear of your filter so you can use your extractor to drain it. It won't stop the mess entirely but it will reduce it some.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

CFD3Captain