• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Busy Couple of Weeks - Eight Projects Completed

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is stored under lock and key for the winter where even I don't have access to it. Given that, I've had a number of projects pile up over the winter. I got my boat back the beginning of April and have been busy working on it every chance I get.

The eight projects were:
1. Bimini Pole Quick Release install - Done, no pics

2. Swapped my 900 lumen drain plug light for an 8000 lumen drain plug light. This is the light I wired in to a missile launch switch so it can't be accidentally turned on http://boatpluglight.com/products/the-vega-prd-133-watts-at-8000-lumens

Drain Plug LED.jpg

3. Swapped out my white plastic cup holders for stainless steel cup holders and added RGB LED rings.

Cup Holder.jpeg

Led3.jpeg

4. Added RGB LED accent lights to the seating area and inside each storage compartment.

Led1.jpeg

Led2.jpeg

5. Added a high water alarm to the bilge area.

Alarm Sensor
Alarm.jpeg

Alarm Light and Sound Panel below helm
Alarm1.jpeg

6. Added Fuel/Water filters to both engines.

Starboard Filter
Stbd Fuel Filter.jpeg

Port Filter

Port Fuel Filter.jpeg

7. Installed Perfect Pass.
PP.jpeg

8. Installed SeaDek.

SD1.jpeg

SD4.jpeg

SD3.jpeg

SD2.jpeg

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A couple of notes:

I still have to water test the PP install, I'm sure there will be some adjustments to make.

I used a two channel LED controller for my RGB and I put the cup holder rings on one channel and the seat lighting on the second channel; I was building the wire harness as I went and after I got the back half of the boat seat lights done I tested the system by powering it up. Well, the bare wires that were for the front half of the seat lighting crossed and blew the fuse and the control box. That is why the pics are of green lights - that was the only color that would show with the fried components. I had to order another controller and luckily it all works fine.

While I was pulling the Perfect Pass wires from the Servo to the PP control box I pulled a power and a ground to add a power source for any future projects that will need more power than is available behind the dash. I also installed a fused box to split that power out.

Now I need to got out on the water...and hopefully be there when it gets dark so I can get a pic of the drain plug light!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you have had a busy Spring and you have yourself a new boat! Looking good.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scuba_ref , great additions; I don't see too many people adding the water/fuel filters and I think they should be close if not #1 on the list given the problems we have read about fuel.

Nice work on all mods

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have me wishing I did the solid seadek rather than the teak, looks great! Where did you get the cup holder rings from?

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love your mods, nice work! PP, Seadek, drain plug light and high water alarm are all on my list too.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking fantastic @Scuba_ref .

x2 on the rings, and comments would be appreciated. Are these silicone base? They look great.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What motivated you to install the fuel / water filters? Did you have a problem with water in the fuel? How expensive were they?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What motivated you to install the fuel / water filters? Did you have a problem with water in the fuel? How expensive were they?
@Bruce Last year I struggled with fuel issues. It started at the beginning of the year the first time out on the water after storing the boat with a full tank of fuel and stabil. The @.help feature of the forum helped me diagnose it as bad fuel. then over the course of the season there were three other times that I was immobilized by fuel issues - phase separation. These are the same filters that @Glassman has in his boat and were recommended to me by him. They were about $100 each before buying the extra fuel line and connectors.

Here are the threads documenting my issues last year:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/both-engines-idle-rough-and-then-die.5794/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/so-it-doesnt-appear-to-be-the-spark-plugs-need-some-help-here-resolved.7029/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/disappointing-end-to-the-boating-season-return-of-the-bad-fuel-issue.7521/#post-129927

Last edited:

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have me wishing I did the solid seadek rather than the teak, looks great! Where did you get the cup holder rings from?
@Trevor Shipman I went back and forth between ordering the solid with black border or the teak look. Ultimately I thought the teak would look too busy, although I suspect that the solid look with require more attention to keep looking clean and tidy where the teak look will hide a lot of stuff!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny story: I took the boat out on the water last night to get a picture of the drain plug light and to test the PerfectPass throttle linkages and I noticed that the starboard tachometer wasn't working. I figured I had accidentally disconnected something so this morning I paid $15.00 for the Service Manual for the 2005 230 boats (it also came with the 2007 - 2009 230 boat manual). I looked at the manual and instantly new what was wrong, can you tell by this picture:

Tach Cable.jpg

Here is the picture of the LED, please note that with recent run offs there is only about 12 inches of visibility to the water right now - in fact you can barely see the Thrust Vectors because the water is so murky. And yet this is what 8000 lumens will do!

Diablo Vega Drain Plug Light.jpg

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same water sensor in queue for install in my boat. I was wondering where to put the alarm panel. I debated putting it back under one of the aft benches (facing inside), but was concerned that if it goes off, you can't turn off that really, really loud and high pitched alarm. That would not be handy if you were back in the engine compartment trying to fix whatever went wrong... I really like your location. I think that will be where mine will go, despite the extra wiring required. So thanks for that idea.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought the same thing about wanting to silence the high water alarm. If something ever did go wrong and the alarm went off, I'm afraid it would just add stress to the situation. I debated putting in a switch for it, but just put it on its own circuit so I could just pull the fuse. I still may go back and put a switch in if I ever add an auxiliary panel.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I will add a push button switch to the plate before I install it. Just for the audio alarm, so that it lights red in any event. I bet you could get one of those small enough to fit nicely on the plate. Kinda like a breaker... In fact, if I get a double-throw one, I bet I could wire it so that if the switch is pushed the light comes on (so you know if it was accidentally hit). Hmmm. Need to work on that.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For comparison purposes:

Murky water picture from earlier in the year after installation:

Recent picture in clear water:
20160617_222600.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce Last year I struggled with fuel issues. It started at the beginning of the year the first time out on the water after storing the boat with a full tank of fuel and stabil. The @.help feature of the forum helped me diagnose it as bad fuel. then over the course of the season there were three other times that I was immobilized by fuel issues - phase separation. These are the same filters that @Glassman has in his boat and were recommended to me by him. They were about $100 each before buying the extra fuel line and connectors.

Here are the threads documenting my issues last year:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/both-engines-idle-rough-and-then-die.5794/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/so-it-doesnt-appear-to-be-the-spark-plugs-need-some-help-here-resolved.7029/

https://jetboaters.net/threads/disappointing-end-to-the-boating-season-return-of-the-bad-fuel-issue.7521/#post-129927
Looks awesome...Your "helper" reminds me of my teenage daughter "helping" on the boat...Phone in hand!!

Just a note about phase separation issues. The fuel that's left after the alcohol absorbs water and separates will be of much less octane than you want. Taking the water out is a great start but you need to tackle that issue before it happens. Use E0 if there is any way you can get it. If not, treat the fuel with a good additive for ethanol, Starbrite makes a great one. http://www.starbrite.com/startron

For those that might no know, low octane means detonation which can be catastrophic for an engine...Melted piston catastrophic!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Mrs does not look impressed :)

Looks like a new boat!