• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buy the 255XD or not?

Crfpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hello…
Long time boater here but been away from boats 10 years. First post on this site and hopeful to pull from your collective experiences. Looking to jump back in but deciding on the right boat has been a challenge to say the least. The 2022 255XD has caught our eye but I’m concerned with the quality concerns shared on this forum and on YouTube with regards to Yamaha in general. I suspect the unprecedented demand coupled with the challenges of finding quality workers certainly didn’t help quality control.

I’m the guy that shops around, a lot, to find the right boat and right deal. Obviously slim pickings these days so relying on the internet to judge fit/finish and over all perceived value is a challenge for me. I’m literally ready to hand over my deposit on a 2022 255XD but getting cold feet based on quality reviews.

What do you think…should I pull the trigger or keep looking?
Thanks in advance
Erik-

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
There is a reason all yamaha boats are pretty much sold out, everyone will have an opinion good or bad, at the end of the day it is you hard earn money and your decision. I didn't care about anyone's opinion when i purchased my 3rd yamaha. I new what me and my family wanted and i bought it.

Last edited:

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I purchased a 2021 212XE early this year. I’ve only had a few very minor issues that were easily resolved. The table leg mounting bracket in the cockpit was upside down. The windshield bumper screw came loose. And the steering wheel was off center. The boat has performed flawlessly for just over 50 hours, and we absolutely love it. Like anything man made, sometimes there will be one with issues, but I think Yamaha boats are generally well built, and well liked by owners. I sure love mine!

Crfpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Glad to hear your enjoying your boat. Thank you for the detailed response.

Tony Prwivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Last year we decided to downsize our boat ( opposite of what most do ) so we Sold our Formula 353 Fastech. Which had twin 500HP Mercury racing engines. The boat was just a little too much for my wife and I being in our 50s now. I did a lot of looking and research knowing it was going to be difficult to replace and be happy moving forward with a boat. We ordered a 2021 255XD in October of 2020 received the boat end of June 2021.we were close to ordering a scarab 255ID with twin 300HP but comparing the Yamaha and scarab I felt the Yamaha held a better quality and I preferred the look of the Yamaha. I can honestly say it was worth the wait ( many phone calls to Yamaha and the dealer waiting to see if I would actually get one —- being on this thread now I know we were lucky) and we are overly pleased with the Yamaha. We were not able to put to many hours on it but I don’t have any complaints. Only thing I added was the thrust vectors to help me coming from the stern Drive. The boat has so much more room, easy to run and plenty fast. So far I don’t see any real alarming defects or fitment issues. There was a chip on the bottom of the hull probably from loading and one small defect by the tower mount.a few of my friends have Yamaha 24 foot boats and have no complaints. I would not be worried or scared to purchase the Yamaha. Every manufacturer whatever they produce is having worker issues part supply issues And other obstacles so at the end of it every one Is doing the best they can during these times. The Yamaha 255XD is really an amazing boat , has the ability to pretty much do anything , go anywhere , carry a lot of people ,and I can not be happier.. I plan on owning this boat for a very long time.

Crfpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Last year we decided to downsize our boat ( opposite of what most do ) so we Sold our Formula 353 Fastech. Which had twin 500HP Mercury racing engines. The boat was just a little too much for my wife and I being in our 50s now. I did a lot of looking and research knowing it was going to be difficult to replace and be happy moving forward with a boat. We ordered a 2021 255XD in October of 2020 received the boat end of June 2021.we were close to ordering a scarab 255ID with twin 300HP but comparing the Yamaha and scarab I felt the Yamaha held a better quality and I preferred the look of the Yamaha. I can honestly say it was worth the wait ( many phone calls to Yamaha and the dealer waiting to see if I would actually get one —- being on this thread now I know we were lucky) and we are overly pleased with the Yamaha. We were not able to put to many hours on it but I don’t have any complaints. Only thing I added was the thrust vectors to help me coming from the stern Drive. The boat has so much more room, easy to run and plenty fast. So far I don’t see any real alarming defects or fitment issues. There was a chip on the bottom of the hull probably from loading and one small defect by the tower mount.a few of my friends have Yamaha 24 foot boats and have no complaints. I would not be worried or scared to purchase the Yamaha. Every manufacturer whatever they produce is having worker issues part supply issues And other obstacles so at the end of it every one Is doing the best they can during these times. The Yamaha 255XD is really an amazing boat , has the ability to pretty much do anything , go anywhere , carry a lot of people ,and I can not be happier.. I plan on owning this boat for a very long time.
Thanks for sharing Tony. Interesting story. Glad it’s working out!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you should tread lightly and buy my gently used '17 AR190...........So I can go buy a new 255XD :D

Sorry, I have nothing productive to add on a Friday afternoon about 2hrs shy of beer-thirty.

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Put a deposit on a 2022 255 xe. Super excited about it!
Trading my 2014 Scarab 195 HO. It was my first boat. We wanted something bigger to take two families out for the day.
I messaged every dealer for both brands within a 2 day drive of here and the Yamaha dealer was the only one to get back to me.
The scarab has been great and I would consider a 255 but it seems the Yamaha is better equipped for significantly less.
I also considered a V drive ski boat but my wife wanted a head compartment and where we are on the lake is shallow for a long way out. Also, they are significantly more expensive.
My decision was that it seemed the Yamaha was a good all-round boat. Like the Scarab, I will be doing my own maintenance and repairs as there are no dealers locally.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn’t buy anything right now. Not a house, not a pool, and especially a boat. Everything is hyper inflated because of supply vs demand issues. This will pass. Patience will prevail. I’m in the market for a Searay Sundancer 330-400. I’m gonna watch and wait.

EBreien

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I wouldn’t buy anything right now. Not a house, not a pool, and especially a boat. Everything is hyper inflated because of supply vs demand issues. This will pass. Patience will prevail. I’m in the market for a Searay Sundancer 330-400. I’m gonna watch and wait.
Yeah everything is inflated, but I'm more affraid of what the interest rates are going to be

Crfpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think you should tread lightly and buy my gently used '17 AR190...........So I can go buy a new 255XD :D

Sorry, I have nothing productive to add on a Friday afternoon about 2hrs shy of beer-thirty.

Crfpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Put a deposit on a 2022 255 xe. Super excited about it!
Trading my 2014 Scarab 195 HO. It was my first boat. We wanted something bigger to take two families out for the day.
I messaged every dealer for both brands within a 2 day drive of here and the Yamaha dealer was the only one to get back to me.
The scarab has been great and I would consider a 255 but it seems the Yamaha is better equipped for significantly less.
I also considered a V drive ski boat but my wife wanted a head compartment and where we are on the lake is shallow for a long way out. Also, they are significantly more expensive.
My decision was that it seemed the Yamaha was a good all-round boat. Like the Scarab, I will be doing my own maintenance and repairs as there are no dealers locally.
Congrats on the new boat! When are you expecting delivery?