• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a 2014 Yamaha SX240 in three days , can't find a mechanic to go over the boat

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am driving 5 hours to Long Island from Pennsylvania in three days I am looking at a 2014 SX 240 with 71 hours. It's a killer deal. I haven't been able to line up a pre-inspection with a mechanic. The owner is not opposed to a mechanic's inspection. That in itself is comforting!

In the past, I have read that a good boat test ride will be as much value as a mechanic looking at the boat.

The boat has been well maintained. The aluminum part of the jet drives exhibit no salt water oxidation at all. The owner has claimed he does fresh water flush and spays wd-40 on jet drive components after each use.

Is there any reason to be concerned with such a new boat with so few hours that appears to be so well maintained, to the point to walk away from the deal without the mechanical pre inspection?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would choose a test drive over a mechanics inspection but that is just me. Is the seller willing to let you test drive the boat?

You should be able to get a marine inspection scheulded before you make the trip such that it is conducted while you are there. Have you tried getting a referral from a marina close to the current location of the boat? If it’s at a marina they maybe able to refer you to a company that does such inspections.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you might try a jet ski shop, they could hook up the YDS and tell you any faults and hours on the engines, I would lean towards PWC shop than a prop boat mechanic and have them check compression,

As long as it throws you back when you give it full throttle and doesn't pull one way or the other you're probably ok but it's your money, not mine,

SIRAG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wade,
I bought a boat with low hours but it had been poorly maintained. I took it to a yamaha dealer to get inspected, they charged me less than 300 and gave me a full report. They took apart the pumps, did a compression test, pretty much checked out the whole boat and let me know what they think. I also test drove the boat, but there is a lot of things that we cant see without a deep inspection. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The valuable input from the mechanic also includes a compression test. This and the YDS info is the info that you cannot get by yourself without the right equipment.

If the boat looks great and is priced Right, and goes the right speed at the right RPM, your risks are lower, and I personally was in the same situation 2 years ago, so I borrowed a YDS that was graciously made available to me, and I looked at it as best I could. I bought the boat without a mechanic. There is a fine line between lucky and got a lemon. I was lucky it worked out for me. How lucky do you feel? Best of luck!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the boat looks great and is priced Right, and goes the right speed at the right RPM,
That.

I know compression checks on #3 in MR-1s is a must (older boats), but not sure about 1.8 engines.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a member nearby who could help and tag along? (looking at the member map)

--

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
An accredited marine surveyor can help you. Here is the member locator:

http://www.marinesurvey.org/index.php?option=com_storelocator&Itemid=303&view=map

For my first Jetboat, the surveyor was not deeply versed on the Yamaha jetboat, but he provided a knowledge of engines (conducted a compression test) and inspected all the other boat mechanicals and electronics. He also did the on water test drive/inspection, since I had never operated a boat before.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I live on long island were is it located maybe I could give it a quick look over if its close by almost 20 years on jet boats .

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I live in PA, and bought my boat from Long Island. I was considering financing at the time, so they required I get the boat surveyed. I have a good surveyor up that way, if you need his number. My financing was taking too long, and I was tired of jumping through their hoops, so I ended up paying cash, but the survey was done. Best thing to do is plan to spend a weekend up there. Look the boat over, test drive, etc, and bring it home with you.

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The seller is letting me do a test ride.

I have been in touch with a shop that does inspections, specializes on jet boats. Waiting for THE mechanic to call me back.

Current owner could not be more helpful. Possibly he could take the boat there before Saturday. All hinges on when the mechanic can do it.

The mecanhnic is located between the current owners home and launch point. Only 8 miles away!
I live on long island were is it located maybe I could give it a quick look over if its close by almost 20 years on jet boats .
Cambo: The boat will be at Port jefferson saturday morning 8:30. Will that work?

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had no luck getting a mechanic to look at the boat. None return my call, or they outright say no.

The final evaluation will be the test ride. From what I read, WOT for a sustained 2-3 minutes with maintained rpm without problems pretty much checks out the engine.

Any other high points I should be looking for other than condition of oil, general visual, and making sure all gauges and sound system works?

My boating experience has been 15 years with prop boats and jet skis on Georgian Bay of Lake Huron.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Look for/feel for excessive cavitation while accelerating to speed. It will feel like you are doing a burn out in a car, that is youngive it throttle but it just isn’t getting to the road/the wheels are just spinning. A little cavitation when going from idle to wide open throttle quickly, like mashing on a gas pedal, is not unusual but if you have to baby the throttles all or most of the way to WOT to avoid cavitation something is wrong it could any number of things from debris in the pump on the shaft, missing sealant or a dinged up impeller). It’s fixable and it would not be a deal killer for me, some would argue it’s a reason for a price drop, but I would rather know about such a problem before I bought the boat versus afterwards.

By the way, unless I’m mistaken, the only way you can determine if you have cavitation problems is but driving the boat. If I can’t take it for a ride I insist on doing s compression check. If I can’t do either I don’t even bother to see the boat. This after buying numerous pwcs and four jet boats now. I’ve bought two used pwcs that compression checked and started fine on the trailer but would staying running once they were put in the water/load was put on their impellers.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cambo: The boat will be at Port jefferson saturday morning 8:30. Will that work?
Yes that should work I will PM you my phone number so we can touch base

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all so much! Cambo has graciously agreed to meet me at the boat launch. I'm sure he will add a lot to the process, as I am not familiar with jetboats, and the saltwater environment! I'm sure his 20 year experience will be valuable!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its close by and I had to drop off my kids snowboard and rental skis in the same town. Looking forward to helping out, we get to tear around in Port Jeff Harbor Saturday in the AM the water should be like glass at that time . Great way to start the weekend I will bring my compression gauge if I have enough time that's always a good check to see that they are all close in the compression readings. All gauges vary but does anyone have a general idea what a warm engine compression would be ?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a member nearby who could help and tag along? (looking at the member map)

--
Its close by and I had to drop off my kids snowboard and rental skis in the same town. Looking forward to helping out, we get to tear around in Port Jeff Harbor Saturday in the AM the water should be like glass at that time . Great way to start the weekend I will bring my compression gauge if I have enough time that's always a good check to see that they are all close in the compression readings. All gauges vary but does anyone have a general idea what a warm engine compression would be ?
Looks like 180-190 PSI? (I have never checked mine, but trying to find it in the manual; I guess if it is consistent between all cylinders, that's a good sign)

--

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the boat yesterday. Jetboater.net member "Cambo" was a great help! No, he was an incredible help! Because of his familiarity of what should and shouldn't be, he easily saw that the steering was siff, requiring new steering cables. The seller came down in price $500 without prompting!

Is there a special way that Cambo's help be recognized on this forum?

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations. Fortunately @Cambo behavior is pretty typical around here. We are in this together and looking for ways to help each other.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the boat yesterday. Jetboater.net member "Cambo" was a great help! No, he was an incredible help! Because of his familiarity of what should and shouldn't be, he easily saw that the steering was siff, requiring new steering cables. The seller came down in price $500 without prompting!

Is there a special way that Cambo's help be recognized on this forum?
That is awesome!

If you have a long trek home, I would check trailer tire pressure and bearing grease. But I'm sure you know that! I check wheel/tire/bearing temps (with my hand) everywhere we stop.

--