• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a 2014 Yamaha SX240 in three days , can't find a mechanic to go over the boat

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did put air in the tires. It pisses me off every time I look for how much air to put in the tries. It's never written on the tire!

A guy who has a AR230 said to put 45lbs in. So I did. The guy I bought the boat from has only 10-15 miles from the launch point, so he wasn't being attentive to tire pressure, and there was about 20 lbs. of air in each tire, I had a 260 mile trip on a 90 degree day. I am very glad I put the air in!

While I am at it, how much pressure is everybody putting in their trailers (towing SX240)

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 500 mile trek, taking the boat to Canada. Before I go, I will be taking my trailer to a local RV guy to check out bearings, etc....

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While I am at it, how much pressure is everybody putting in their trailers (towing SX240)
The generic answer around these parts is 50psi. Most have no good reason for that number, and there are alot of blowouts too. That would likely get you home safe though.

The proper answer involves getting your tongue weight dialed in perfectly with appropriate hitch etc. An easier method would be go drive on some scales, make adjustments as needed. At the end of the day, you need to know the weight on each axle. Then find your tires load chart, and it will include your answer. The proper inflation will obviously extend the life and performance of the tires. My old 242 with the tires I had, was at 38psi.

example load chart-

https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trailer-tire-loadinflation-chart

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My life precludes me going into so much depth. Thank you for the information! So............. generic is 50, actual is 38. So the average of the 2 is 44. Probably within the range of safe operation!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was only my actual, with my setup, and my tires. Regardless, I'm sure you'll be fine at 44. I would try to run over some scales though. These things can tow very well setup correctly, or very poorly if not.

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is yinz from Pikksberg, or do youz jess like dem Pens? I've never been dahn tahn to see em skate!
I jess hate when da Pens lose to them jagoff Capitals! I grew up dahn the Mon valley!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hah, nice. From Wellsburg actually, about 40 minutes west of the 'burgh. Moved south 8 years ago, and never looked back.

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I left the "burgh" in 1976. I only knew two Pens fans! I'm living near Harrisburg now. Last year I went to a family reunion and on July 1st we were going to a Pirates game. I only knew one Pirate (McCutchen) so I turned on the radio to 93.7 The Fan to find out about the Pirates. The last 90 minutes into Pittsburgh, they talked about the Pens for 75 minutes, and the Pirates for 15 minutes! LOL! How times have changed! YEah, I'm old enough to remember Mazeroski's home run!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, old man Nutting sure has let em go way downhill unfortunately. :( Which is nuts because if you've met him, you know he's a diehard baseball nut.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did put air in the tires. It pisses me off every time I look for how much air to put in the tries. It's never written on the tire!

A guy who has a AR230 said to put 45lbs in. So I did. The guy I bought the boat from has only 10-15 miles from the launch point, so he wasn't being attentive to tire pressure, and there was about 20 lbs. of air in each tire, I had a 260 mile trip on a 90 degree day. I am very glad I put the air in!

I like the generic answer!
50 PSI, cold pressure, usually max for most trailer tires.
I think 44 is fine. 20 is not.

Also, consider trailer tires are are changed based on dates/time, not wear.

The way I look at it, I'm operating under the assumption MFI/Shorland'r tires are barely adequate, anyway, as far as load rating.

--

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought the boat yesterday. Jetboater.net member "Cambo" was a great help! No, he was an incredible help! Because of his familiarity of what should and shouldn't be, he easily saw that the steering was siff, requiring new steering cables. The seller came down in price $500 without prompting!

Is there a special way that Cambo's help be recognized on this forum?
Hey Wade glad I could help the information people post on this forum has helped me so much in the past with ideas and knowledge.The effort put into a post is a few keyboard strokes maybe inserting some pictures as we try to pass along information to help others out I just stepped it up with a little more effort and drove over to pass my knowledge over verbally in person. It’s obviously inspiring reading how members help each other out your thankful words made my day enjoy your new boat they make amazing memories.

Last edited:

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might look carefully again on the tires for the pressure, I've never seen one yet that didn't list the recommended cold pressure, but very often they are difficult to read. Spraying some water on the sidewall should help.

Agree on checking the wheel bearing grease, and it would be a good idea to just rebuild each one. It's pretty simple once you've done it once. Go watch a YouTube video.

One thing you want to check is to make sure there is no grease on the inside of each tire rim--check by looking across the underside of the trailer at each tire. Grease inside the tire rim indicates seal failure on the bearing housing, and should be dealt with right away if possible, or if it's not possible to rebuild right away, pump more grease in to compensate for the loss.

-Greg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[QUOTE="Wade Guisbert, post: 317128, member: 11808The seller came down in price $500 without prompting!

Is there a special way that Cambo's help be recognized on this forum?[/QUOTE]

I don't know maybe a picture of the gift certificate your about to send Cambo, really he just saved you $500.
It never bothered my to contribute at YBJ because of how much money it saved me.

or maybe just be a good member and pay it forward, keep posting your experiences and help others who post here, I'm sure they'll be somebody who wants a demo ride or needs a tow in,

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cambos' original price was a wakeboard ride. Tide was too low in his favorite spot. He was reluctant to take anything from me, but in the end accepted a Benjamin!

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Wade glad I could help the information people post on this forum has helped me so much in the past with ideas and knowledge.The effort put into a post is a few keyboard strokes maybe inserting some pictures as we try to pass along information to help others out I just stepped it up with a little more effort and drove over to pass my knowledge over verbally in person. It’s obviously inspiring reading how members help each other out your thankful words made my day enjoy your new boat they make amazing memories.
I still talk about your help! I sucked up a dock line in both impellers at the end of the season last year, and snapped the reverse cable. I had them put on the spare steering cables you suggested I have on hand, being located so far from "civilization" on the Georgian Bay". It made a world of difference.

Here is an amazing memory that was made last week with my son's family (yep all 6 are theirs, they are not Catholic either). Those kids had smiles on their faces permanently while on the boat!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey wade great to hear your enjoying the boat memories and some great stories including the helpful long islander that went along for the test ride.