• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a boat across the country

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey everyone, I’m debating purchasing a boat on the other side of the country. a new one from a dealer, has anyone used any shipping service to see costs?

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey everyone, I’m debating purchasing a boat on the other side of the country. a new one from a dealer, has anyone used any shipping service to see costs?
You can get online quotes from uship and citizenshipper. It will be into the thousands with gas prices the way they are. Prob $3-$4 per mile

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A buddy of mine bought a boat from an AZ dealer and had it shipped to PA. He used UShip, rates weren't horrible and it was trailered with two driver's who made the trip in a few days.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gas prices were similar in 2012. I spent ~$700 to uShip a boat from Virginia to Arkansas at that time.

In August of 2021 I spent $1,300 to move a car from Connecticut to Arkansas.

The best deal will be if you can find someone who has dropped a load off near the boat and is headed home to Florida.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Road trip! Go get it! What an adventure it could be!?
I live in central Ohio and I drove to ocean city, Maryland to get my boat. Met a really great guy @OCMD in the process.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have shipped tow boats. Relatively painless and inexpensive in 2012; basically free in 2005 - 400 bucks from NC to MD. Contrary to the assertions above, gas in 2012 topped out at 3.62 at the highest point which is nowhere near the outrageous price we pay now. Presently, gas at my local station in 4.79, which is similar across the USA. Highest gasoline prices ever, and worst inflation in 40 years. So expect to pay a bundle now. I dread the cost of non-eth which is all I use in my boat. I'm certain it will be upwards of 6 bucks. But shipping is a doable "thing" though, and done all the time. Just expect to pay a bundle because of the price of gas.

What's up @mark_m ? The 230 still running perfectly as I told you it would? Next time down I'll race you in my new to me wave runner, which happens to be sitting in the yard at Bayside at the moment.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have shipped tow boats. Relatively painless and inexpensive in 2012; basically free in 2005 - 400 bucks from NC to MD. Contrary to the assertions above, gas in 2012 topped out at 3.62 at the highest point which is nowhere near the outrageous price we pay now. Presently, gas at my local station in 4.79, which is similar across the USA. Highest gasoline prices ever, and worst inflation in 40 years. So expect to pay a bundle now. I dread the cost of non-eth which is all I use in my boat. I'm certain it will be upwards of 6 bucks. But shipping is a doable "thing" though, and done all the time. Just expect to pay a bundle because of the price of gas.

What's up @mark_m ? The 230 still running perfectly as I told you it would? Next time down I'll race you in my new to me wave runner, which happens to be sitting in the yard at Bayside at the moment.
@OCMD 230 is running like a champ still! You and Eric were right, this boat loves fresh water. I changed out her impellers and wear rings this off season and we’re excited to enjoy it again this year!

My daughter is on her 8th grade trip to dc this week; if we can get these kids thru college might be making another trip to bayside again for a newer boat someday.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I’d still consider a road trip for some distance of you could make the price right…. Who cares on some $ for fuel when you can make some memories and friendships, right?

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Uship quotes are around $3,750. It’s about 2550 miles. I calculate if I do it myself I might be close to $2,750 or so in costs all things considered. So sure I save about $1,000 but also carry all the risk.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Uship quotes are around $3,750. It’s about 2550 miles. I calculate if I do it myself I might be close to $2,750 or so in costs all things considered. So sure I save about $1,000 but also carry all the risk.
If your trailer is in decent shape it’s not that much of a risk. Just prep for the distance tow…. In fact, towing interstate isn’t really that awful. First time I ever towed anything it was my boat on that Maryland to Ohio road trip. I might just have to dig up that thread… (one of my first posts)

Easier than dealing with people at the ramps…

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not sure if @Betik would be interested or if he still tows for people.

Were there no boats closer to you than across the country?

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nope, trust me I would much rather buy locally!

I was purchasing a used 2021 from a private seller and the guy backed out last minute so had to start the search again.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nope, trust me I would much rather buy locally!

I was purchasing a used 2021 from a private seller and the guy backed out last minute so had to start the search again.
What boat and colors are you looking for?

Cut2thechase

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We left New Bedford, Ma on a Friday morning. Got to Round Lake, IL on Saturday morning. Test Run, paper work, hooked up and was trailering late Saturday afternoon. Washed 1,100 miles of bug guts off it and was in the ocean by 11:00 AM on Sunday. I'll admit I wasn't willing to travel to Washington state to get the only blue, twin 300 HP model in the US at the time though!

If it's the one you want, go get it! You'll feel more comfortable making the purchase after seeing it in person anyway!!

Good Luck either way!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Preferably 255XD, black and blue. New is more than I want to spend but a used 2021 would work perfect.

This one is a new 2022 252XE in white.
Have you called on the dealers in Florida? RideNow had a black 252XE last week when I spoke to them. If you don't mind a green 255, those have been popping up too. Last week one in Alabama was unspoken for and today there is one in Woodbridge, VA.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I’ve called the dealers in Florida. At least the ones that I know about. RideNow doesn’t have any currently. I would love a 255, but I definitely don’t like the green color. How do you know of these that have popped up?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, I’ve called the dealers in Florida. At least the ones that I know about. RideNow doesn’t have any currently. I would love a 255, but I definitely don’t like the green color. How do you know of these that have popped up?
I call around and stock BoatTrader. Part of it is just timing and luck. Join the Facebook group too, as sometimes people post there when they see something. I too am waiting for a blue 255 - I've found a couple greens in my search, but I just don't like that color.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I call around and stock BoatTrader. Part of it is just timing and luck. Join the Facebook group too, as sometimes people post there when they see something. I too am waiting for a blue 255 - I've found a couple greens in my search, but I just don't like that color.
Seems like we are in the same boat! Well, looking for the same boat anyways.