• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a boat help

rmadrid20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi guys,
Rookie question here, I'm about to pull the trigger on a used boat but don't know what to buy. My intention is use it once or twice a month wit the family (wife and 2 yrs old) and occasionally go out by myself to fish. I also want the boat reach bimini because I live in florida and I want to go there once or twice a year if possible.
Can you guys help me to find the right used boat, my budget is around 6-8k.
Thanks

I wouldnt take a 6 to 8k boat to bimini.
Reliability is key.

Living in FL, are you thinking you will be mostly in the Gulf, the Atlantic or inland? Obviously the Bimini trip regularly may call for a boat with a deeper V than some of the lake boats (I put the Yamaha in this class). If your primary use is out where there is bigger water, a bigger boat designed for such things (and has the proper equipment--like radios, big gas tanks, etc.) may be in order.

under $10k isn't going to get you much.

I’d bet the motor and outdrive will need work within 6mos.

Coming from a guy who boats in coastal water: Brother at that price range I don't know if I'd trust the dependability of a sailboat. Much less a jet/speed boat!

That would be a nice down payment, but I would not trust a boat of that caliber (6-8k) to take my family out on. Bimini would be completely out of the question.

At that price range, you could get a used John boat, perfect for fishing and hitting local quiet spots for playing in the water with the family.

Living in FL, are you thinking you will be mostly in the Gulf, the Atlantic or inland? Obviously the Bimini trip regularly may call for a boat with a deeper V than some of the lake boats (I put the Yamaha in this class). If your primary use is out where there is bigger water, a bigger boat designed for such things (and has the proper equipment--like radios, big gas tanks, etc.) may be in order.
What kind of yamaha we are talking about?

Yamaha jet boat... like mine.

That is a great deal! You've shut me up.
I would definitely have it thoroughly checked out prior to purchasing.

"If it seems too good to be true..."

I looked at craigslist a long time and followed bad leads for years before deciding to buy new. Not that you can't find good deals, but they are very rare.

but they exist. I got an awesome deal on my SX230 that way. I would not take a single engine boat to Bimini. That's just me. Never been to Bimini but my dad used to take me to La Tortuga island in Venezuela which is similar distance from the coast.

Find you the cheapest twin outboard you can find to Bimini, Do what you need to do to make it solid and reliable, and you are all set. Our 24 ft 4Metric Ton boat did very well with rough seas considering its size.

Our was very similar to the attached picture. Not too shabby!!!

Attachments

• 24.jpeg
    24.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That was not aimed at me and it still hurt!!! ouch.

I might have to go to a yamaha dealership

Ok so for for you proud owners of your boats, besides the obviously way to go on craigslist or Facebook market and boat dealers, there another site that I can go and look for a good used 2010 or so yamaha?? Or any other good brand??
Financing I'll have to go thru a credit union, I think is the best way for what I see in this site.

boattrader is great to get baseline pricing and see what's out there.

Back