• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Started the replacement boat search after a 3 year hiatus

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Started the search for a possible spring time purchase. Went and checked out a 255XE this afternoon.

The wife and I sold our 242X back in 2021 when used values were so high. We thought we’d wait until we were able to purchase the lake house we want before buying another boat. But my wife had a major health scare before Christmas, working thru it now, and hopefully in the clear by spring. Kind of made us reevaluate our priorities. You hear people say stuff like live now, you don’t know how long you’ve got. But it doesn’t really mean much until it’s you in the hot seat.

So we kind of decided that another jet boat is the was to go. We’ve window shopped some other stuff, Cobalts, Chaparrals, Centurions. But dollar for dollar it’s kind of hard to beat the features and benefits for the money of a Yamaha.

Since I’ve been out of the game for a few years, I come to you guys for your expertise. I know I want another X model, but is the 255XD worth the price difference over the XE? Looks like the major difference is the Drive system and power steering. Any other differences? Thanks in advance for the help. Oh, I almost forgot….. damn it’s good to be back!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
First, to echo your sentiments above..
DF18054B-EA3D-4233-B876-BE708B08416A.jpeg

Second I thought I’d toss in this handy purchasing flow chart…

8B05A27F-9266-47BF-8438-B3281E68BB3E.jpeg

I think the difference in price on the X model is that it has a form a helm master, but instead of a joy stick it has buttons on the wheel, and I think it has a feature called dock hold where it will keep itself pushed up against the dock while people get on or off the boat. There might be a video in the 2024 model year thread(s).

92811A91-434D-4AF0-AE9B-2FC4D29CEF7C.png

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How about a used 212/242x AND the lake house?

Living life now doesn’t necessarily have to mean giving up on the bigger long term goals. I kinda try to balance it out myself.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That makes since. But my wife has a house plan she has picked out and wants. She absolutely positive that nothing else will do. One day I’ll get it for her so she can enjoy the water from her own dock everyday, and she’s ok with waiting to get what she’s wants. Until then she wants to enjoy the water as much as possible with our daughters.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@F.M. Welcome back and I'm sorry to hear about your wife's scare but prayers coming your way that this spring will be a fantastic time for her and you.

I'm 52(almost 53) and kids are starting to leave the nest but, I couldn't agree with you more. My attitude has shifted a bit about life and just jumped back into living it seems and bought a 255XD. Upgrading from my baby who is a 2014 242LS. Waiting for delivery but I'm super excited I can start to surf and enjoy the boat too.

The boat in my opinion have changed a ton over the years. Lot's have changed and improved in 3yrs and I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time looking at the boats, spending time together and making future plans.

You nailed the timing on selling the boat. Keep an eye out on here. I just went to the ATL boat show and deals are starting to creep back in and you can definitely negotiate more with the dealer for "added" things and prices. Guys are posting from other shows as well.

Welcome back and tell your wife "She's got this!" Y'all enjoy the new boat and let us know what y'all decide on.

Also, don't follow @FSH 210 Sport flow chart...It will cost you money. I used it and bought a new boat 😂:winkingthumbsup" ...I'm kidding, its actually hysterical and my family and I used it to buy our new one.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My wife even got a kick out of the flow chart.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am very glad to hear that your wife is recovering and you will all both be in our prayers for a full and speedy recovery by spring time.

"Kind of made us reevaluate our priorities. You hear people say stuff like live now, you don’t know how long you’ve got. But it doesn’t really mean much until it’s you in the hot seat."

I can only tell you as one grow older, I am now 79, life gets shorter, time passes more quickly, kids and grandkids are grown and you get more unexpected visitors such as Mr and Mrs Arteritis, that come uninvited and don't want to leave. However that said don't stop living and be one of those who wake up one day and say " I wish I coulda shoulda done that". I know to many who have and now there children are enjoying their money.

Claire and I just came back from a week in Istanbul and a med cruise and will now cross the Ocean on a 15 day journey.
Bottom Line Buy your boat enjoy the time on water or even sitting at the dock drinking wine, eating cheese and listening to your favorite songs. Remember "Life is to short not to have fun"

IMG_4240.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Time
Pink Floyd

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today

And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun
But it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way
But you're older
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught
Or half a page of scribbled lines

Hanging on in quiet desperation
Is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again

I like to be here when I can

When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far away, across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells

This needs to be listened really loud and sung at the top of your lungs

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Waiting on one to come in. Local dealer didn’t have a Slate 255XD on order so they swapped a scheduled 255XE for one. Was told it could be an anywhere from a week to a few months before it arrives.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
sorry to read about the health scare. Good luck with the search for a new boat.

If I was in the market I would be looking for the top of the line 27’ Yamaha jet boat. Which means for me I’m CA traveling out of state and figuring out how to get it back in state as quickly quickly/efficiently as possible.

the other boat I would consider because my wife and I like it is a top of the line seadoo switch pontoon boat but with only one engine it would be a harder sell for me.

On a semi related note. One of my wife’s good friends was diagnosed with blood cancer., she just told my wife last Sunday. Now she is reaching out to people she has not spoken to for a while and making travel plans in the hope she is still cleared to fly. She has a lot of regrets, wishes that she had done things instead of just thought about them or put them off for a better time.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
A diagnosis like that will change your perspective real quick. You just don’t understand how quickly until it happens to you, as we found out.

My wife was diagnosed with renal cancer, by accident. Long story short...... we found out by accident, got the best urologist in the country at one of the best hospital in the country.

We were on a trip to MN from AL visiting my mother-in-law for Thanksgiving. My wife was having some pain the her right side and shoulder, but kind of blew it off as muscle ache/pain since we had just started doing CrossFit the week before. On Tues before Thanksgiving, the pain became unbearable so we figured an ER visit was probably best. Upon doing a chest CT they found that she had multiple (4) pulmonary embolisms in her right lung. Apparently there was a new tech that did the CT and in their inexperience also scanned her upper abdomen as well by mistake. The radiologist noticed on the scan that something looked off in her left kidney, so she was taken back for a second CT of her abdomen where they found a baseball size (7cm) mass in her left kidney. A few days in the hospital to treat the embolisms and they sent us home to deal with the cancer in AL.

We were able to get an appointment at CCI with one of the best oncologists in the country within a week of getting home. Oncologist took one look at the scan and basically said that there was no need to biopsy the kidney, the mass was so large and was invading the renal vein and was also dangerously close to the Inferior Vena Cava, that the kidney needed to be removed ASAP and the mass would be sent to pathology after the nephrectomy. But he said that he's 99% positive that its renal cell carcinoma, which is apparently good since it is typically easy to treat and usually responds really well to immunotherapy. Received great referrals from him to Vanderbilt and UAB to see urologists about the nephrectomy.

In the mean time and unbeknownst to us my MIL reached out to a friend of hers that is a retired cardiovascular surgeon. He reached out to a friend of his in cardiology at Mayo in MN. Then we received a call from the urology dept. at Mayo saying that they would like to take a look at the CT scans and asked if we would send those to him. Shortly after we heard back form a local urologist in Huntsville, Vanderbilts urology dept., and UAB, who all turned us away because the surgery would be "too risky" for them with the IVC involved.

Mayo called back a few days later and said come see us, we want your case. We went to mayo for an MRI and lots of other tests on Jan. 2nd. Met with the head of urology on Jan. 3rd. He said the when comparing the CT scans and his MRI, the cancer seems to be completely contained to her kidney and renal vein. He scheduled surgery for Feb. 21st (She needed to be on blood thinners and allow her lungs to fully heal for 12 weeks since she had multiple embolisms). He basically said not to worry, he does this kind of thing every week and that he will be doing the surgery personally with a vascular surgeon on hand to deal with the IFC portion fo the nephrectomy. All the tests indicate that her right kidney is functioning perfect and that she'll be fine without the left. To be honest, the first thing she did was look of the average weight of a kidney and smile at the idea of being a few lbs lighter.

After speaking with her oncologist, and since there is no other sign of cancer anywhere but her kidney and renal vein, there is a good chance that she may not even need chemo or immunotherapy after surgery. But we wouldn't know for sure until the kidney was out and she had a few more scans (PET scans I think).

So continued prayers to The Almighty in the next few weeks, that the surgery on Feb. 21st goes well and she's in the clear. So many unexpected things have happened and doors we didn't know existed have been opened for us throughout this process, that I can't just call it luck or good fortune. No explanation other than prayers have been heard and answered all along the way. The lack of anxiety and the peace we've had over the past few months is indescribable. I don't feel like we deserve to be so blessed, but I'm sure glad HE does. James 5:16, Phil. 4:19

Hopefully the boat she wants will be waiting on her when she returns home a few weeks after surgery. If not, no worries, we'll still have her.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A diagnosis like that will change your perspective real quick. You just don’t understand how quickly until it happens to you, as we found out.

My wife was diagnosed with renal cancer, by accident. Long story short...... we found out by accident, got the best urologist in the country at one of the best hospital in the country.

We were on a trip to MN from AL visiting my mother-in-law for Thanksgiving. My wife was having some pain the her right side and shoulder, but kind of blew it off as muscle ache/pain since we had just started doing CrossFit the week before. On Tues before Thanksgiving, the pain became unbearable so we figured an ER visit was probably best. Upon doing a chest CT they found that she had multiple (4) pulmonary embolisms in her right lung. Apparently there was a new tech that did the CT and in their inexperience also scanned her upper abdomen as well by mistake. The radiologist noticed on the scan that something looked off in her left kidney, so she was taken back for a second CT of her abdomen where they found a baseball size (7cm) mass in her left kidney. A few days in the hospital to treat the embolisms and they sent us home to deal with the cancer in AL.

We were able to get an appointment at CCI with one of the best oncologists in the country within a week of getting home. Oncologist took one look at the scan and basically said that there was no need to biopsy the kidney, the mass was so large and was invading the renal vein and was also dangerously close to the Inferior Vena Cava, that the kidney needed to be removed ASAP and the mass would be sent to pathology after the nephrectomy. But he said that he's 99% positive that its renal cell carcinoma, which is apparently good since it is typically easy to treat and usually responds really well to immunotherapy. Received great referrals from him to Vanderbilt and UAB to see urologists about the nephrectomy.

In the mean time and unbeknownst to us my MIL reached out to a friend of hers that is a retired cardiovascular surgeon. He reached out to a friend of his in cardiology at Mayo in MN. Then we received a call from the urology dept. at Mayo saying that they would like to take a look at the CT scans and asked if we would send those to him. Shortly after we heard back form a local urologist in Huntsville, Vanderbilts urology dept., and UAB, who all turned us away because the surgery would be "too risky" for them with the IVC involved.

Mayo called back a few days later and said come see us, we want your case. We went to mayo for an MRI and lots of other tests on Jan. 2nd. Met with the head of urology on Jan. 3rd. He said the when comparing the CT scans and his MRI, the cancer seems to be completely contained to her kidney and renal vein. He scheduled surgery for Feb. 21st (She needed to be on blood thinners and allow her lungs to fully heal for 12 weeks since she had multiple embolisms). He basically said not to worry, he does this kind of thing every week and that he will be doing the surgery personally with a vascular surgeon on hand to deal with the IFC portion fo the nephrectomy. All the tests indicate that her right kidney is functioning perfect and that she'll be fine without the left. To be honest, the first thing she did was look of the average weight of a kidney and smile at the idea of being a few lbs lighter.

After speaking with her oncologist, and since there is no other sign of cancer anywhere but her kidney and renal vein, there is a good chance that she may not even need chemo or immunotherapy after surgery. But we wouldn't know for sure until the kidney was out and she had a few more scans (PET scans I think).

So continued prayers to The Almighty in the next few weeks, that the surgery on Feb. 21st goes well and she's in the clear. So many unexpected things have happened and doors we didn't know existed have been opened for us throughout this process, that I can't just call it luck or good fortune. No explanation other than prayers have been heard and answered all along the way. The lack of anxiety and the peace we've had over the past few months is indescribable. I don't feel like we deserve to be so blessed, but I'm sure glad HE does. James 5:16, Phil. 4:19

Hopefully the boat she wants will be waiting on her when she returns home a few weeks after surgery. If not, no worries, we'll still have her.
Based on all that info, I’d want to use several emjoi thingies to respond to the several different points you made… but it only allows for one.. especially when you mentioned the inferior Vena Cava, that made me say oooo. For those of you who do not know what that is, it is the main vein that returns all of the blood from your lower extremities to your heart. There is another, the Superior Vena Cava that takes care of the upper part of your body, the two come together and go into your right atrium of your heart.

All I can say is that you have a great network of people and the almighty, and that has led you two to a much better solution back in MN… I’m happy that you two have such an experienced surgeon to take care of this. I’m hoping that there is no other area’s affected and just the surgery to remove the now bad kidney will be all that is needed. Your opening sentence is so spot on about how much that changes your life when it happens to you…. Everything changes and you have that revelation of, in your case initially, could be no more time to do the things that you wanted. I can’t say enough how happy I am to hear that your wife’s condition is going to be taken care of by one of THE best hospitals in the world.

A few people I know have had some bad stuff in the last 12 months, and thankfully none of it turned out to be life threatening! And I‘ve known several folks who have died recently all too early, and throughout my life I’ve known people that died far far too early. And I know other people who have had warnings that their body is unable to cash the checks their ego is writing without chemical assistance, I’ve made that point to them on several occasions, but, unless they change their ways bad things await them, and then it will be too late to do anything about the realization that they had been lying to themselves for many years and then they will not to be able to do the things they always said, oh next year I’ll do that.

So it is my sincere wish that when the love of your life returns home from the Mayo in MN there will be a shiny new 255XD in the driveway, and that you and her have thousands of hours of enjoyment on it!

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a short update on this thread's it is about life. As one its older one finds out how quickly life can change on a dime. In my case I had an insert placed in my chest to monitor my heart rate and for about six months I gave it no thoughts as the monthly reports were not out of wrack.. Yesterday I got the latest report and things changed. It now looks like my heart rate drops for long periods of time while sleeping to the point of dangerous. So off to the heart doctor I go. My point is be thankful for your good health and if necessary change your habits so that you can continue to enjoy your life.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
How far have you expanded your search? I see lots of dealers doing heavy discounts on left over 23s. Do they make a 252XD? I know they have a 252SD. If you're not doing water sports you get some nice features on the S that the X doesn't have.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
How far have you expanded your search? I see lots of dealers doing heavy discounts on left over 23s. Do they make a 252XD? I know they have a 252SD. If you're not doing water sports you get some nice features on the S that the X doesn't have.
They don’t make a 255SD. I want the 1.8L SVHO engines.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They don’t make a 255SD. I want the 1.8L SVHO engines.
If that is the case, are you considering a used 27' at all? Should be in ballpark price of a 255XD.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes we have and are considering the 27 footers.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My wife is out of surgery and in a private room at Mayo! Dr said all went well. No sign of invasion in any of her other nearby organs. She didn’t need any blood during surgery. They want her to get up and walk this afternoon/evening, apparently people who walk to get lymphatic fluids, etc… moving, recover faster and better than if they don’t. They will monitor her blood levels closely for the next 24hrs. Even though she didn’t need blood during, her levels could fluctuate enough that she might afterwards. Since the mass was completely contained within her kidney they are highly optimistic that she may not need chemo or immunotherapy, but they’re leaving that up to the oncologist here in AL. They say if all continues to go well, they expect she’ll be released by Saturday morning at the latest. Thanks for all the prayers!

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife is out of surgery and in a private room at Mayo! Dr said all went well. No sign of invasion in any of her other nearby organs. She didn’t need any blood during surgery. They want her to get up and walk this afternoon/evening, apparently people who walk to get lymphatic fluids, etc… moving, recover faster and better than if they don’t. They will monitor her blood levels closely for the next 24hrs. Even though she didn’t need blood during, her levels could fluctuate enough that she might afterwards. Since the mass was completely contained within her kidney they are highly optimistic that she may not need chemo or immunotherapy, but they’re leaving that up to the oncologist here in AL. They say if all continues to go well, they expect she’ll be released by Saturday morning at the latest. Thanks for all the prayers!
That is very great news. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers for a full and complete recovery