• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying Advice: 2008 AR230

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Salt water or fresh water boat?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@hillcountryview One caveat to my previous post: I live in Florida and my boat has been stored outside since I took ownership. I have always kept it covered in some way. Except for one area on the backrest over the engine bay. the upholstery is in very good condition. If any alarms are thrown, price drops 10k automatically. These boats are difficult to do major mechanical work on.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How many hours?

The current market is crazy...We bought our 07 AR230 HO in 2016 for 23k with galv trailer. Now, we have fixed and added a few things since, listed below. I might just put a for sale sign on ours for $26k and see what happens. I will have to check yds for current hours, somewhere around 200hrs.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought the exact same boat for 21k in January, with all its options the dealer said it gained 10k in value sitting over the winter and if they would’ve known the market now they would’ve never dropped on price.. 27k is probably what he will get for that boat, pending water test. The market is just ridiculous, we are so happy we found one in January and bought then. Definitely get a water test, peak at the pissers while going, check the oil, open the engine hatch on the water and check for any oddities, make sure the bilge actually runs too. And for the love of Pete pull the clean out plugs to make sure they actually come out lol!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So do all 3 prospective buyers get to all go for a test ride at 1 time like a field trip...lol. That would be strange 😂

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crazy situation. I think I'd pass but it just depends how bad you want a boat this year.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't buy it without a test ride but that is the crazy market

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many hours?

The current market is crazy...We bought our 07 AR230 HO in 2016 for 23k with galv trailer. Now, we have fixed and added a few things since, listed below. I might just put a for sale sign on ours for $26k and see what happens. I will have to check yds for current hours, somewhere around 200hrs.
the anticipation is killing us 😂😂😂
We got the boat!! We paid the 27k, and the other guys were there ready to pay it too.

Beside having a little oxidation on the exterior, it’s pretty pristine and runs like a champ! I really appreciate all of everyone’s advice! We went right down the list and checked all the boxes.

I swear- the owner must be regular on the forum. He actually had a laminated checklists that he gave us with everything he does from taking it out of the water to servicing it.

I can’t thank all you enough! Now be patient… I’ll probably be posting again soon with a few owner’s questions!

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We got the boat!! We paid the 27k, and the other guys were there ready to pay it too.

Beside having a little oxidation on the exterior, it’s pretty pristine and runs like a champ! I really appreciate all of everyone’s advice! We went right down the list and checked all the boxes.

I swear- the owner must be regular on the forum. He actually had a laminated checklists that he gave us with everything he does from taking it out of the water to servicing it.

I can’t thank all you enough! Now be patient… I’ll probably be posting again soon with a few owner’s questions!
Enjoy

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations @hillcountryview That is a rock solid boat that will have your family enjoying the water for many years. Check out this link https://jetboaters.net/threads/known-issues-for-boat-years-2003-2009-with-mr1-engines.15464/
Send some pictures!
Thanks! We’re taking it out today and then I will definitely need to spend some time reading thru the link you sent.

Is there a link for basic detailing/exterior care? I’d like to find out what the recommendations are for removing the fresh water oxidation from the exterior and what the preferred products are to protect the paint and bring back the luster. I’m curious to see what everyone is using and whether they are DIY or taking it to a boat/auto detailer.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper brought his boat back to shiny new. Perhaps he will chime in.
Thanks @buckbuck. Yes, I removed the graphics first. And then wetsanded the orange topsides with 3m 1000, then 1500 and 2000 wet/dry paper. At the time I had no rotary polisher so I used my dual action porter cable polisher with a heavy cut oxidation remover to blend in all the sanding. I then used a polishing compound with foam pads and then wax. It took me a whole weekend. If I had the rotary polisher with a wool pad I have now, I could have knocked some hours off of that.

I went from this...

20170415_144822.jpg

to this in a couple of days.

20170525_171920.jpg

20210620_193959.jpg

@mrcleanr6 also has experience in restoring gelcoat to original with power tools instead of wetsanding by hand for a day and a half.

Last edited:

Tyler83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is funny. I was talking to theses people all week. It was listed for $22k a few days ago and I told them I wanted it but had to wait to Sunday (today) to show it. On Friday they merged me and said they had a offer of $25k and they Told me If I’d match it they would take it off the market, I agreed. Last night they messaged me and told me as he was pulling it out of storage someone walked up and offed them $30k cash And they sold it last night.

looks like a real nice boat, I really wanted a orange AR. This hole drama did force me back to shopping last night and picked up a 11’ 242 Limited S that was listed last night. So I guess everything happens for a reason, I still had a good Father’s Day lol.
where do you plan to use the boat? We’re on lake Houston.

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @buckbuck. Yes, I removed the graphics first. And then wetsanded the orange topsides with 3m 1000, then 1500 and 2000 wet/dry paper. At the time I had no rotary polisher so I used my dual action porter cable polisher with a heavy cut oxidation remover to blend in all the sanding. I then used a polishing compound with foam pads and then wax. It took me a whole weekend. If I had the rotary polisher with a wool pad I have now, I could have knocked some hours off of that.

I went from this...

View attachment 154130

to this in a couple of days.

View attachment 154131

View attachment 154137

@mrcleanr6 also has experience in restoring gelcoat to original with power tools instead of wetsanding by hand for a day and a half.
That’s amazing!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly, 27k is a great price for that. I know others will say that's kinda high, but they're not out there trying to buy or sell.

Co grants on the new boat!

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper brought his boat back to shiny new. Perhaps he will chime in.
lp
This is funny. I was talking to theses people all week. It was listed for $22k a few days ago and I told them I wanted it but had to wait to Sunday (today) to show it. On Friday they merged me and said they had a offer of $25k and they Told me If I’d match it they would take it off the market, I agreed. Last night they messaged me and told me as he was pulling it out of storage someone walked up and offed them $30k cash And they sold it last night.

looks like a real nice boat, I really wanted a orange AR. This hole drama did force me back to shopping last night and picked up a 11’ 242 Limited S that was listed last night. So I guess everything happens for a reason, I still had a good Father’s Day lol.
where do you plan to use the boat? We’re on lake Houston.
congratulations on your boat!
That's crazy that you were involved in this too-what a small world! At this point, I've blocked the whole event from my mind. We contacted them within 1 hour of the boat being listed and they committed to us, then the drama began. We probably should have walked, but you know what the market is like around here and I was ready to just get it done. The 30K is a new twist I hadn't heard- that was quite a bluff!!
We took it out on Canyon lake Sunday and are going to try Medina next.