• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying an SX210. What Are the Must-Do's and How-To's?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an agreement to buy a 2012 SX210 from a local person this week. I expect to have it purchased by mid-week. I have never owned or ridden in a Yamaha jet boat but have wanted one. So now I'd like to figure out what are the "must-do's" on a boat like this.

For example, I have seen many people add things like the steering fins on the jets and add things like Sea-Dek. What are the recommended steering assist fins that I have seen and is it something that you would say is a must-do? I have looked at the SeaDek website and I see a "set" that looks like it would fit on the swim deck on the back, but I have seen pictures of that stuff all throughout the boat. How is that done and where can it be bought? When I looked at this boat, I noticed that the head unit appears to be a low-end, older unit. At a glance, it looked like a standard HU that has some kind of cover over it that I assume is to make it waterproof. I do not know what comes in this thing or what the options are. What is the best option that would be suitable for this boat? I assume its a standard DIN mount, but again I do not know. I think it has 4 speakers and I am also assuming that they are original or not high-end. I would like something that sounds good while hanging out on the boat. I do not know if I will go all-out and put in amps/subs just yet, but just knowing some options/configurations from your experiences would be good. The boat does have 2 batteries in it. No idea yet how they're hooked up.

So far, the things on my list to get or at least look into are:

- SeaDek: From the pictures, it looks great so I assume it is. I assume this boat will have carpet but I have not seen it yet. I noticed that the black material on the swim deck did feel a bit worn and maybe starting to get a little brittle.
- Steering fins
- Bumpers (for around the boat for docking)
- Audio (Head-Unit, etc)
- Bilge - I see some mention adding more bilge pumps. Is it necessary?
- Maintenance?: I see mention of things like change spark plugs. So what should be done and how often?

At some point, I will need to find a mechanic for things like winterizing or learn how to do it myself. I know I have a few months before I need that though. I have not towed anything with my truck, so I know I need to practice with that.

What else should I consider getting or doing with the boat, or what else do I need to learn/prepare for?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regarding SeaDek kits for Yamaha boats, highly recommend @JetBoatPilot kits.

Regarding enhanced steering system, highly recommend @Cobra Jet Steering LLC systems

Note neither of these is a must-have. You might try your boat without for a few hours before spending tons of bucks on mods. Lots of time for that later. Good luck and enjoy!

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. So I just glanced at those things and it looks like the cobra jets fins are like $400, but I am not 100% sure that I am looking at the right ones. I couldn't determine if that was the right one for this boat.

For the SeaDek it looks like the kit with the cockpit and the swim platform is like $1250. Does that sound right? Seems pricey but looks very nice.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. So I just glanced at those things and it looks like the cobra jets fins are like $400, but I am not 100% sure that I am looking at the right ones. I couldn't determine if that was the right one for this boat.

For the SeaDek it looks like the kit with the cockpit and the swim platform is like $1250. Does that sound right? Seems pricey but looks very nice.
Pricing sounds about right. Suggest you direct message the two people I flagged to get details and make sure you select the right products.

Also, Will (JetBoatPilot) typically runs a group buy special on SeaDek at the end of the season (September or so)... some very good deals to be had, usually (up to 30% off). Not sure he will do that this year as his guys are very busy making medical PPE.

Similarly, Jeff (CobraJetSteering) sometimes runs specials on his steering systems. Not sure about magnitude and timing. I had his original design on my boat for years and then updated to a newer, much improved design a few years back. His designs and build are top notch.

Both businesses are major jetboat industry supporters and both provide great service / installation support / etc.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't need to waste your money on a steering system, I've had my boat for 10 years and never felt the need.
I replaced my swim deck with a product from Blacktip jetsports which is a less expensive option and I'm happy with it, I have traction mats from the same company on my Seadoos.
Since the head unit has a cover it may be a single din, if not you may have to make your own filler.
A second bilge is personal preference, but if I wet docked I would add one.
Maintenance is simple, oil and filter change, grease some fittings.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree with above. If you truly needed steering improvement, Yamaha would make them that way.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What HU comes in the boat from Yamaha? Is it a single DIN size or different? I assume it’s waterproof?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, what do you guys do about cooler/beverage storage? I have seen some stuff about the 24ft boats but wondering about the 21ft boats.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The only items that I believe you "need" are the EZ Locks to prevent clean out plugs from blowing and replacement of the scupper. If I recall correctly that year still had them below the water line.
Fins are subjective. I have had fins from both vendors and have removed them to get back to the original feel.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only items that I believe you "need" are the EZ Locks to prevent clean out plugs from blowing and replacement of the scupper. If I recall correctly that year still had them below the water line.
Fins are subjective. I have had fins from both vendors and have removed them to get back to the original feel.
My 2010 has the scupper above the waterline and yes Cobra EZ locks are advisable.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody have any experience with the HU/audio and what kind of drink storage you use?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just checked out the plugs. Definitely looks like a good thing to have. I will definitely order those.

Other than the drink storage and Audio questions, I do have another one.

When I saw this boat last weekend, there looked to be a little it of a "fade" at the top of the navy color. The owner told me that it was not fading and that there is some kind of stuff that he uses on the boat once per year that makes the color bright again. That got me thinking about the care for the boat in terms of the body of the boat.

What kind of maintenance is needed for these boats? Is it just as simple as a wash and something like a wax? Do you do it while its sitting on the trailer? I have not experienced this before, so wondering what the right thing to do would be.