• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying AR240 As First Boat & Looking for Some Real Life Feedback

Al_x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

The wife and I have been looking into purchasing our first boat and like what the Yamaha AR240 has to offer. Local dealer just found one for us and it should be here in about 2 weeks. I've been doing lots of research and found lots of useful information on this forum and want to thank all those who post their experiences....good and bad.

Now that the boat is going to be here soon I'm starting to question if this is the right boat for us and after talking to some friends not sure about how reliable and how well the boat will cut through choppy water. Friends have never owned jet boat but have the perceptions that they are slow, don't do well in choppy water and will be too small. I'll give some info about us and what we're expecting so if anyone here with experience with these and other boats could give some real life feedback it would be appreciated.

We're a family of four, kids are ages 6 & 15, looking at spending time together out on nearby lakes and rivers. I figured each kid will probably want to bring a friend and we would take another family of four or so on occasion so we wanted to be able to fit up to 10 on the boat. Want to be able to tow for floats, skis, wakeboard. I like the look of the AR and it seems to be able to do a little of everything. I don't need something fast but wanted to be able to get in the 50's without using up insane amount of gas and cut thru choppy water on busy weekend
We liked the idea of not having prop in the way so kids could jump off back with us worrying about them hitting anything. Also seems like it would be easy to go on and off at both bow & stern. Planning on storing it in side yard and putting up something so it has some shade but will also get a cover.

This would be our first boat purchase and some of our friends think were crazy for buying new and buying jet as first boat. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sounds like a perfect boat for your family to me! Slow...lol. They will be thinking slow when they are eating your wake😂. These boats are the roomiest in their class for the size, I've had 7 people on my 195 more than once and it was perfectly fine

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with that. Slow has never been a valid critique of these boats... Nor the roominess. A comparable I/O will have a huge engine access mat where we have useable space.

Now, choppy water may be an issue, but not as a function of a jet boat, but of hull design. There are two types of hulls: displacement and planing. Displacement hulls are like canoes--steep angle at the bow and then the hull rides in the water and cuts through it. Displacement hulls limit top speed due to the water friction on the hull...

The Yamaha is a planing hull. It is designed to run on top of the water. That gives you more top end speed, but does not cut through the water. Basically it is worse on chop and waves, because it is riding on top.

Many of us added trim tabs to get more of the best of both worlds. Trim tabs push the bow down some, giving you better handing in chop.

As to size and fit for your family, I think you have the right boat. Kids bringing a friend is real. So is your taking out another family like yours. You will appreciate the space on the 240 in these situations.

Safety you mentioned, which is another plus of the jets. The other is how simple they are from a mechanical standpoint. That means lower maintenance costs, less down time, etc.

Be aware that boat stocks are low now. Anyone who promised you a boat in 2 weeks... Well, I would be very skeptical.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm sorry, but your friends have no idea what they are talking about. The acceleration/hole shot of these boats are definitely quicker than an inboard or I/O.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your AR240 will have tons of room. I have an AR210 and I get 9 or 10 in no problem. I have had it out on the great lakes in big chop and rollers as well as inland lakes and it does fine. Yours would handle better. You will not be doing 50 in a heavy chop and large waves. In serious chop and breaking waves I do high 20's to low 30's and do just fine. Any faster and you will feel and also you will get pounded a bit. You will love the boat and they are great to drive. We picked up ours, although I am a couple feet shorter this last May and haven't looked back. Real easy to maintain and very safe for those children with out the props. The rear swim deck is fantastic.

Get the mooring cover. I would order it now so it can come in soon, it usually takes a couple weeks if not in stock. Keeps the boat very clean, protects it and is easy and light weight.

You will accelerate faster than an outboard and I/O easily with a nice shallow deadrise. Pretty sure your friends will be looking at getting one after a few times out on yours.

Franced123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Al_x unless you would be getting a 30 foot deep V center console the chop will feel the same no matter if your on a 24 foot stern drive boat or a jet boat. I was out yesterday on some super choppy very busy lake. I have a chap 223 vrx jet with twin 150's and have had it out in 4 lakes and 1 river in the north east. If lots of chop while your anchored find another place to anchor like a cove or no wake zone. It will be rare that will be cruising for any long distance at 50mph on a boat in most lakes unless you are on a large not so busy lake which is hard to find during the covid era. I was out yesterday and seen countless 100-150k wake surf boats and not one person wake surfing or wakeboarding because the lake was to crowded and too choppy out of the coves. We had ar240 in the past was a great boat had alot of fun, switched to 223vrx because of the look of them handling and swim platform. I was out yesterday with 9 people on board, was stilstill able to pull people on the tube perfect and maneuver around the docs without issue in the chop. If your doing fresh water lake I would say u will be fine with ar240.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sotally Tober Totally agree. A lot of the inland lakes we go on are 1-2 miles across give or take. I love taking off just as another boat, usually wake boat or another with a big I/O, takes off and I see them in my rear view mirror very quickly. Sure they will over take me eventually but buy the time they catch up we are making the turn or slowing down at the other end of the lake. :)

Bssmith1220

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a new AR240 two months ago as my first boat ever. We are a family of 4 with the kids being 13 and 5. We are able to bring our friends family of 5 no problem and have actually had them plus another family of 3 twice. So 12 people (6 being kids) was plenty roomy. As far as the speed thing, it’s not slow. We can run 50 with just my family, and about 45-46 with friends. It’s faster than most other boats where we are. We had ours out on the Chesapeake Bay yesterday and it did fine in the chop of the open bay. Most comfortable cruise out there seemed to be about 25-28mph. Being our first boat ever I have nothing to compare it to but I have zero complaints about anything. It has been a learning curve getting used to the handling at slow speeds but I think have zero experience actually helped. I don’t know what I’m missing with a non jet boat so it seems fine to me!

Al_x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with that. Slow has never been a valid critique of these boats... Nor the roominess. A comparable I/O will have a huge engine access mat where we have useable space.

Now, choppy water may be an issue, but not as a function of a jet boat, but of hull design. There are two types of hulls: displacement and planing. Displacement hulls are like canoes--steep angle at the bow and then the hull rides in the water and cuts through it. Displacement hulls limit top speed due to the water friction on the hull...

The Yamaha is a planing hull. It is designed to run on top of the water. That gives you more top end speed, but does not cut through the water. Basically it is worse on chop and waves, because it is riding on top.

Many of us added trim tabs to get more of the best of both worlds. Trim tabs push the bow down some, giving you better handing in chop.

As to size and fit for your family, I think you have the right boat. Kids bringing a friend is real. So is your taking out another family like yours. You will appreciate the space on the 240 in these situations.

Safety you mentioned, which is another plus of the jets. The other is how simple they are from a mechanical standpoint. That means lower maintenance costs, less down time, etc.

Be aware that boat stocks are low now. Anyone who promised you a boat in 2 weeks... Well, I would be very skeptical.

Thanks for the details on the hull totally inline to what I've read. And since I've got nothing to compare to was looking for some first hand insight so thanks for clarifying. Please let me know where I can find some more details on those trim tabs you mentioned. I'm guessing I prob won't know if I really them until I get some more experience on the water and see how often I actually run into choppy conditions.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Al_x There are two types of tab manufacturers that are typically used. You can just search Trim Tabs here and they will come up. There may be a group buy in the Fall or Spring where you can save a good deal of Money.

What I would recommend is to potential get either Cobra Jet Steering or Thrust Vectors. Search both here and you will come up with a ton of information on them. I personally use Cobra Jet Steering Fins and it was like night and day on the water.

Good luck with the purchase, you will enjoy the boat.

Al_x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your AR240 will have tons of room. I have an AR210 and I get 9 or 10 in no problem. I have had it out on the great lakes in big chop and rollers as well as inland lakes and it does fine. Yours would handle better. You will not be doing 50 in a heavy chop and large waves. In serious chop and breaking waves I do high 20's to low 30's and do just fine. Any faster and you will feel and also you will get pounded a bit. You will love the boat and they are great to drive. We picked up ours, although I am a couple feet shorter this last May and haven't looked back. Real easy to maintain and very safe for those children with out the props. The rear swim deck is fantastic.

Get the mooring cover. I would order it now so it can come in soon, it usually takes a couple weeks if not in stock. Keeps the boat very clean, protects it and is easy and light weight.

You will accelerate faster than an outboard and I/O easily with a nice shallow deadrise. Pretty sure your friends will be looking at getting one after a few times out on yours.

Over memorial weekend we rented a Four Winns Open Bow I think 24' and went about the same in some rough chop in Lake Havasu..it was very rough and took some time to get across from one end to the other. If these ARs were a little smoother and just a bit faster I'd be happy. I'll have to start looking onto that mooring cover...thanks for the tip

Al_x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased a new AR240 two months ago as my first boat ever. We are a family of 4 with the kids being 13 and 5. We are able to bring our friends family of 5 no problem and have actually had them plus another family of 3 twice. So 12 people (6 being kids) was plenty roomy. As far as the speed thing, it’s not slow. We can run 50 with just my family, and about 45-46 with friends. It’s faster than most other boats where we are. We had ours out on the Chesapeake Bay yesterday and it did fine in the chop of the open bay. Most comfortable cruise out there seemed to be about 25-28mph. Being our first boat ever I have nothing to compare it to but I have zero complaints about anything. It has been a learning curve getting used to the handling at slow speeds but I think have zero experience actually helped. I don’t know what I’m missing with a non jet boat so it seems fine to me!
Your situation was same as mine. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I'll be in the same boat soon.

Al_x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Al_x There are two types of tab manufacturers that are typically used. You can just search Trim Tabs here and they will come up. There may be a group buy in the Fall or Spring where you can save a good deal of Money.

What I would recommend is to potential get either Cobra Jet Steering or Thrust Vectors. Search both here and you will come up with a ton of information on them. I personally use Cobra Jet Steering Fins and it was like night and day on the water.

Good luck with the purchase, you will enjoy the boat.
I heard of the thrust vector here few time but wasn't really sure of the advantage. I'll have to check it out some more. Did you do the trim tabs & thrust vectors?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

The wife and I have been looking into purchasing our first boat and like what the Yamaha AR240 has to offer. Local dealer just found one for us and it should be here in about 2 weeks. I've been doing lots of research and found lots of useful information on this forum and want to thank all those who post their experiences....good and bad.

Now that the boat is going to be here soon I'm starting to question if this is the right boat for us and after talking to some friends not sure about how reliable and how well the boat will cut through choppy water. Friends have never owned jet boat but have the perceptions that they are slow, don't do well in choppy water and will be too small. I'll give some info about us and what we're expecting so if anyone here with experience with these and other boats could give some real life feedback it would be appreciated.

We're a family of four, kids are ages 6 & 15, looking at spending time together out on nearby lakes and rivers. I figured each kid will probably want to bring a friend and we would take another family of four or so on occasion so we wanted to be able to fit up to 10 on the boat. Want to be able to tow for floats, skis, wakeboard. I like the look of the AR and it seems to be able to do a little of everything. I don't need something fast but wanted to be able to get in the 50's without using up insane amount of gas and cut thru choppy water on busy weekend
We liked the idea of not having prop in the way so kids could jump off back with us worrying about them hitting anything. Also seems like it would be easy to go on and off at both bow & stern. Planning on storing it in side yard and putting up something so it has some shade but will also get a cover.

This would be our first boat purchase and some of our friends think were crazy for buying new and buying jet as first boat. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Your friends mostly don’t know what there talking about. I have a 2020 AR240. It has tons of room. We regularly have 8-10 people on the boat with room for coolers, gear etc. Everyone always comments how much room there is in our boat. Boat is great for water sports, I would argue getting someone out of the water is actually easier with these boats. It has tons of low end power. Reliable? Hell ya. These boats are so simple, no transmission, lower unit etc. You even have a extra engine to limp home in case something does happen. Slow, well that’s relative. Ya it’s no twin blower motor go fast boat, but the performance is comparable to any other I/O in its class. Low 50s with light load, with 8-10 people/gear expect mid 40s.

Chop-ya there is no trim, but it’s not horrible. I am in one of probably the most busy intercostal/bays in the country every weekend, it gets a little bouncy on the way home, but we can still usually hold 20-25mph in the bay, and I got real little ones on the boat so I am very careful to not hurt them. If it’s just me and some friends I’ll go 30-35 and while it’s bouncy it’s never scary or unsafe. Any faster than that and it starts jumping waves, which is more stress on the boat than I’m willing to put it through.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Over memorial weekend we rented a Four Winns Open Bow I think 24' and went about the same in some rough chop in Lake Havasu..it was very rough and took some time to get across from one end to the other. If these ARs were a little smoother and just a bit faster I'd be happy. I'll have to start looking onto that mooring cover...thanks for the tip
The water will get that choppy at Havasu over a holiday weekend. It's not that way every weekend though.
I've been boating on Lake Havasu for over 15 years with 4 different Yamaha Jet Boats ranging from LS2000, AR210, 212SS and now a 242SE. It is a great boat for Havasu; however, it's hard when the lake is filled with 28-36 ft DCBs, Eliminators, Magics and Nordics zooming by you at 90 to 120mph. Unless you want to spend $150,000 plus the AR240 is going to be your perfect boat for the Colorado river. Especially if you want to venture down to the lowest and shallowest stretch of the Colorado River, Martinez Lake which is San Diego's version of Lake Havasu.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi all,

Thanks!
@Al_x ......jet boats are fast. Jet botrs are safe - particularly for children (no props and when jumping off the stern kids won't land on an outdrive), best swim platforms of any boat that size anywhere. Roomiest interiors by far. The AR240 has a 20 degree deadrise and Yamaha makes a solid hull - IMO - if you need more deadrise and a stronger hull than that you should not be out on that kind of water. BUT....hedge your bet - tell the dealer the deal is contingent on a water test and see for yourself. I think you will be impressed. :cool:

Al_x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The water will get that choppy at Havasu over a holiday weekend. It's not that way every weekend though.
I've been boating on Lake Havasu for over 15 years with 4 different Yamaha Jet Boats ranging from LS2000, AR210, 212SS and now a 242SE. It is a great boat for Havasu; however, it's hard when the lake is filled with 28-36 ft DCBs, Eliminators, Magics and Nordics zooming by you at 90 to 120mph. Unless you want to spend $150,000 plus the AR240 is going to be your perfect boat for the Colorado river. Especially if you want to venture down to the lowest and shallowest stretch of the Colorado River, Martinez Lake which is San Diego's version of Lake Havasu.

Havasu will probably be our regular spot so that's good to hear. Definitely saw those big fast boats during the holiday weekend which looked fun but way out of my league. I thought the AR 240 looked like the best bang for your buck within that price range.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i got plenty of well-meaning comments from friends/family about jet boats, too before i bought our AR240. i had already been reading this forum, though, and none of the comments matched up with what actual jet boat owners said. it's very windy here in north texas and my boat eats whitecap at 40 mph like it's nothing. like another poster said, the roominess of our boats is a feature rather than a concern. the only thing that freaked me out at first was the handling at low speed. i'm in a crowded marina and my performance was sketchy and anxiety high. and that's with CobraJet fins! like everything, though, this improves quickly with practice and 3-months-in i don't worry about it at all anymore.

you are gonna LOVE your boat.