• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying my first boat

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I went and looked at that boat and took it for a test ride/drive. It was very clean outside and inside. Practically looked brand new except for the jet drives. They looked pitted and corroded, but upon further inspection I think it was just a lot of calcium or lime scale build up. I could see it on the impellers also. I had to wait for them to launch it, but did see them start the motors up by the shop first. Im not sure this was normal, but there was a ton of white/grayish smoke. I guess it lasted for 10-15 seconds and the cloud was roughly 30' high. I asked the salesman later on the test ride was that normal. He said it was the first time it was started since it was winterized. I don't know about that. It didnt smoke anymore once in water. We shut it off numerous times trying to get the depth finder to work which never did. But besides that the boat ran flawless. Sounded good took it up 8k and ran about 40-42mph. He was asking 20,950. Only came off the 950. Said 20k was the reserve set by the owner (consignment). I offered 19 which he refused. Then asked if I could get 20k out the door which was also refused. So I gave him my number and left. Im pretty sure the boat will sell for what he has it listed for, but 20k was pushing our boating allowance anyways.

IMG_6797.JPG IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_6794.JPG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is very normal for the engines to smoke as they burn off the fogging oil from the previous year. It is also common for the smoke to leave behind a soot on the fiberglass near the exhaust outlet.