• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying new Garmin Maps

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you already have a charger? If not I suggest considering the Blue Sea BatteryLink 7503/7605 series https://www.bluesea.com/products/7605/BatteryLink_Charger . It has a built in ACR and regulates charging whether it is from AC or the alternator.
I followed up with Blue Seas and it is only a 10amp total. I guess it should still be fine with AGM. He actually said something interesting. It only chargers the second battery once ACR closes and combines. So he actually said have the house wired up to charger output so the house side charges first and closes and tops off Start battery instead of charging Start and then if House is depleted and having a large dead battery to deal with. Will have to think on this one. As I do like I have a dual smart independent shore charger.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
10 amps is plenty for me.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was looking at the add a battery so I get the switch also as I have some corrosion on mine and want to change out to a new switch also. Plus the optional indicator is comes with in the package is nice.

I was referring to an AGM liking more amps in initial bulk mode but if it isn't a true dual bank system only going through ACR then it doesn't matter and will work for me since I will almost guaranteed never have a dead or low battery.

On a side note where would someone wire their float activated bilge to house or start battery?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Has anyone had any experience buying and installing new maps from Garmin they would like to share, or is pretty simple and straight forward? I am looking at the BlueChart g2 Vision HD VUS010R-Southeast Florida. I am thinking my system has not been updated from 2011 era, so a new set of maps and software update is needed, and with the likely hood of doing a Abaco/Exuma trip in the future. Thanks in advance.
I'm looking to do the same trip and was wondering about the maps. Did you find the VUS010R upgrade was worth the investment? My Garmin 44Cv show the islands but no info about the waterways. Did you get that info with the upgrade?

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm looking to do the same trip and was wondering about the maps. Did you find the VUS010R upgrade was worth the investment? My Garmin 44Cv show the islands but no info about the waterways. Did you get that info with the upgrade?
I did not buy new maps yet. Mine worked good for the crossing and just being in Bimini and west end.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I did not buy new maps yet. Mine worked good for the crossing and just being in Bimini and west end.
Sorry, my bad. The maps are not the cheap and wasn't sure if they're worth the $$.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have no depths or anything on your charts yes you want the upgrade. If your plotter has the capability to auto chart with the upgrade it’s well worth it. The upgraded charts unlocked that feature on mine and I love it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If you have no depths or anything on your charts yes you want the upgrade. If your plotter has the capability to auto chart with the upgrade it’s well worth it. The upgraded charts unlocked that feature on mine and I love it.
Seriously thinking about it and with your response most likely will. Thank you. I always try to work smarter and not harder which makes my life easier.

But, for the price of the Bluechart G3, I can buy a new unit for a little bit more $$. That's what I'm contemplating right now. Just trying to decide which model AND it must fit the hardware I already have installed on the boat. Decisions, decisions...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seriously thinking about it and with your response most likely will. Thank you. I always try to work smarter and not harder which makes my life easier.

But, for the price of the Bluechart G3, I can buy a new unit for a little bit more $$. That's what I'm contemplating right now. Just trying to decide which model AND it must fit the hardware I already have installed on the boat. Decisions, decisions...
The problem with Garmin in this situation is even if you upgrade the unit you will likely still need to buy the charts for a Bahamas trip. With Garmin your almost better off to buy the cheapest unit that will fit your needs then buy the vision charts to unlock all the features. Some of the other brands will come with navionics charts loaded that have the Bahamas loaded if you buy a new unit I would possibly look at going that route if the Bahamas charts are important to you

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The problem with Garmin in this situation is even if you upgrade the unit you will likely still need to buy the charts for a Bahamas trip. With Garmin your almost better off to buy the cheapest unit that will fit your needs then buy the vision charts to unlock all the features. Some of the other brands will come with navionics charts loaded that have the Bahamas loaded if you buy a new unit I would possibly look at going that route if the Bahamas charts are important to you
The new Bluechart G3 includes the Bahamas. There's my dilemma.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The G3 blue chart is reasonably cheap at hodges marine its $175. To get a chart plotter that has it you will be over $500 and still need a vision card to unlock auto charting the blue chart g3 charts will not unlock that feature. It's a tough call thats for sure.
I don't have the vision version now so I might just get this otherwise I'm looking at purchasing Garmin Bluechart G3 Vision Hd - Vus010r. By chance, would you know if I install this version or the G3 HD, would it overwrite was I presently have to only have this or would this be an addition to what I presently have?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Charts came on sd cards so when I insert them it adds to the charts that are already loaded so my us coastal charts are still there plus the south Florida and Bahamas charts that are on the card

Maccam26

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought the LakeVu G3 Ultra for the West from them. Can't wait for it to get here.
I bought lakevu G3 Ultra East as a download. Are you seeing the Navionics data on yours such as "fishing spots", "Marinas" , "Gas Pumps". I don't think mine is doing that when I compare my map with the Navionics Online Chartviewer ... just curious if there was an issue with my download.