• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying used 242 Limited S 2016 - Things to look for.

mlinton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Considering buying a 2016 242 Limited S, with only 50 hours total run time. This is located in Canada, but it looks like the boat was manufactured in California and might have been registered in Maryland (according to a boat alert history report).

Going to look at it tomorrow, what things should I be looking out for on it?

a) HID matches the stated one.
b) Hours on the motor.
c) Overall condition hull and seats.

Please feel free to add to my list.

Cheers.

Attachments

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2016 and earlier had a few problems with the timing chain snapping its rare but you could pull the valve cover and look for any links that could be going they have layers and will start to snap.

Call Yamaha check for any warranty claims
Reach in and feel the impeller blades
look at the under side for any damage to the keel
With so few hours the jet nozzles should have no oxidation if they do it could have been left in salt water

mlinton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Some additional questions that I could come up with:

- Inspect the hull for any signs of damage
- Inspect the oil dipstick for signs of water
- Inspect the plugs for any obvious corrosion
- Start the engines to ensure they start

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check all the lights.....exterior and cabin
If it comes with a trailer, check the lights and the brake fluid
Check trailer wheel bearings for signs that they have been kept greased
Check shower tank to make sure it pumps water without leaking
Check clean out plugs....if it is out of the water they should be out...check the rubber seals....if they are in, make sure they come out easily
Check articulating keel for damage
Check bilge pump
Check ventilation fan....it should come on automatically when you turn the ignition switch on
Check hinges on seats that allow access to storage compartments....I found many of mine loose when new
Check condition of both bow and stern boarding ladders

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
MFG of August of 2016, that has the new timing chains. It was only slight chance of an issue with models produced in the tailing end of the 2014 model year and 1.8's built up to July of 2015. No worry there.

That address would be for a Yamaha administrative office. As that boat should have been produced in the same plant as the others in the SE. I could be wrong. Looksl like a clean boat. Good luck!

mlinton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bought the boat yesterday, after doing a pretty extensive review of it based on suggestions. The only things that I found were:
  • Both of the intake grills show signs of wear and one of the intake grates on the starboard side is cracked/broken where it connects to the stern side of the bracket (new one ordered)
  • The handle on the stern at the top of the ladder is frayed on both sides
  • One of the bow speakers sound like it is broken and one of the tweeters in the tower isn't working
  • Some light yellowing of the seats is present, looks like probably from just being in the elements and not cleaned completely
  • One of the batteries is flat, but the other is fine - charging now
  • Shower water tank was full when we got it, wondering if it was part of the winterization - but it works
On the plus side:
  • Absolutely no scratches / scuffs / etc on the hull - it looks brand new!
  • Motors both run well and no obvious damage to the impellers
  • Interior is also spotless with no marks on any of the fiberglass
  • No rips in the fabrics or cover
  • All of the accessories look like they've never been used (table, extra cushions, etc)
I was thinking that the first upgrades will be the thrust vector combo. Anything else that is a must-do off the bat?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
get some seadeck or marine mat for the sides of the stern! Makes for great jumping platform.

mlinton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It actually had the lower sides covered with it already, but I'm thinking replacing the carpet with it would be a worthwhile upgrade.
I'm also thinking that the Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters would also be a good idea.