• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cable replacement project

How did u reach the outside nut on the steering cable next to the pump recessed in the little pocket?
You can use a crows foot wrench on the end of a regular ratchet with extension. What I did is use a regular deep socket with a pair of water pump pliers. That way the cable end goes through the end of the socket as your grabbing the side of the socket with the pliers. Plastic nuts are not on real tight to prevent cracking.

I a used past through socket set. But u can't get an extension for it so I removed the pumps and it fit right on.

I a used past through socket set. But u can't get an extension for it so I removed the pumps and it fit right on.
As I mentioned you do use a crows foot wrench on a long extension or a pass through or a regular deep socket without an extension. You grab the side of the socket with a pair of water pump pliers. In any event, glad your process worked. That also allowed you to better inspect the pump, impeller and bearing under the cone cover.

@bronze_10 Is the removal of the floor over the gas tank absolutely necessary for replacing the steering cables? And why so? I was hoping to be able to fish the new cables through by attaching to the old cable using a connecting bolt, like has been discussed in a previous post for replacing the gate cables. Is that not possible? Also, another post mentions a nut on the cable on the inside of the hull behind the pump. Did you have that as well and is that why you needed to remove the cleanout tray?

I need to replace mine soon as i now have about 3-4” of play in the steering in both directions off center. Not sure if that is enough to cause concern of them possibly breaking or not. And was hoping to wait until the end of the season to replace but might need to do sooner.

Thanks

Sure u can do it without pulling it up but a lot of the times as you pull the new cable through to beta hung up as it passes through the bulkhead.. Some times u have to get your hand in the and push the leading edge through the bulkhead to resume pulling it with the code.

@96Pirate , Mike, you are replacing your steering cables for play? I think that may be premature. Old cables usually cause steering to be stiff, not floppy.

First check your bushings where your cables attach to your jets. Someone here (@Bruce ?) replaced those cheap plastic bushings with a real stainless bearing with very good results. But from having read that (eons ago), I wonder if your problem is not that your bushing has worn or disintegrated, rather than a problem with your cable. In fact, I would check the forward and aft sides of the cable before I would replace.

I agree they often make steering stiff but my steering wasn't stiff I just wanted to replace replace it hen before bimini in a 10 year old boat... Once completed my steering tightened a lot. My wife even mentioned it. I used the same bushings.

Fair enough. And if the motivation is preventative before Bimini, can't argue that at all. But to solve a slack problem, I would check the ends first. If they are all good, etc., the cable might be a next step. But any tightness after cable replace is likely due to a less-worn cable and not cleanup of any slack (e.g. you likely have the same slack with tighter steering). IMHO.

@96Pirate , Mike, you are replacing your steering cables for play? I think that may be premature. Old cables usually cause steering to be stiff, not floppy.

First check your bushings where your cables attach to your jets. Someone here (@Bruce ?) replaced those cheap plastic bushings with a real stainless bearing with very good results. But from having read that (eons ago), I wonder if your problem is not that your bushing has worn or disintegrated, rather than a problem with your cable. In fact, I would check the forward and aft sides of the cable before I would replace.
Well yes and no I guess. I was planning on doing it in the off season as preventative maintenance. Mostly because its an 11 year old boat and they are original. Rather not snap them while out on the water. But this past weekend the slack seemed to have gotten worse than the last time out about a month ago. So i was thinking maybe the cables are starting to go. As far as stiffness goes is that at low speed or higher speed? Because a low speed my steering is pretty easy...really no stiffness at all. At higher speeds it gets a little stiff but has really always been like that (thought that was the normal feeling for it). Where it does get stiff is when pulling the 3 person Mable tube and trying to make turns. Gets real stiff and there is a little knocking in the steering. And of course the slop in the wheel. Both had me concerned i was going to snap the cables this weekend. The stiffness while towing the tube happened after either getting the Big Mable or installing the TV’s. Cant remember which. So if the cause of the stiffness is not the cables, maybe its the drag from the tube or drag from the TV’s.

Anyway, after this weekend it just made me think i needed to move up my time table in replacing them. But certainly would rather wait until the off season so i dont miss any more time on the water.

I will certainly check the bushings. Thanks

Mike

I did mine as preventative with Mikes help. I didnt notice a ton of difference in my steering with the new cables, but my old cables were in great shape. Part of it was that i was just not used to the feeling of a jet boat. That being said. I hate the slop in the steering. I have new bushings to put in. I don't think this is going to make that much of a difference. I noticed looking under the helm that there is a good 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slop in just the helm. turn the wheel and it takes a good 1/2 inch or more before the lever under the helm even moved. I've been looking for one from a junk boat to take apart and see if i can figure out how to eliminate the slop in the helm. I've also been kicking around the idea of fabbing in an electric power steering module. i think power steering would be incredible. one day ill get the bug and time and give it a whirl.

I took a look yesterday and bushings seem to be fine, but i didnt take anything apart. Didnt seem to be that much play in the rear to me except for a little bit of play in the starboard cable. Behind the helm...that is where there is play. Definitely seems to be in the steering box somewhere. Not sure if thats my only issue but it certainly seems like something is a miss there. Wondering if there are an gears worn out. The issue is the parts are pricey so hopefully it can be fixed by other means.

Back