• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can a Honda pilot tow a 240 for long distances ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been so excited and focused on finding the perfect Bimini boat, that I might have missed the part where I have to tow from Texas to Florida.

Has anyone towed a 240 on a pilot for 500-1000 miles ?

Our Pilot is 2016 4 wheel drive with the transmission cooler.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depends on your Pilots configuration, it looks like the max you can tow is 5000lbs. The boat is about 3500lbs dry, the trailer about 1000 lbs, and all the boat stuff plus fuel is probably another at least 500 lbs which would max you out on your towing capacity. Short distance I would tow with the Pilot, long distances I wouldn't. I personally want margin of weight below the tow capacity for safe long distances towing, somewhere below 80% tow capacity. To me the biggest thing is the boat while push the Pilot all over the road in heavy stopping situations and winding conditions.

At one point we had a 24' pontoon boat that we pulled with our 2005 4wd Pilot (have since sold the Pilot and pontoon). We only towed about 10 miles to and from the lake and under most trips it felt like the pontoon was driving the Pilot instead of the Pilot controlling to pontoon. I can only image what a 24' fiberglass you have felt like behind the Pilot.

Sorry to be a bummer on the Pilot.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would rather be a bummer now than somewhere in the back roads of Alabama:arghh::arghh::arghh:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Andy S the pilot would probably be ok for short pulls. My Toyota Prius would probably pull my 240 but control and stop it that's another story. If you don't want to upgrade your vehicle for a one time tow just rent a pick up truck or full size SUV for that week it probably wouldn't cost to much (def less than upgrading your tow vehicle) if your returning it to the same spot your picking up from.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I also use the 80% rule.
Expedition and f150 pull my boat so easily that i go through covers.
Fyi the snap on bow cover can handle high speeds.
Fyi i don't tow with the cockpit cover on anymore.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Short answer no....I towed my 242 limited S from Charleston to Atlanta (300ish miles) with my F150 and by god I knew it was back there. That 5.0 was screaming and sucking down some gas!

sx998

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pull my 192 with my Odyssey. Pretty much same drivetrain as the Pilot.
I would not want to pull a 24ft boat dual axle with a Pilot.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Betik - Don't trust the seller of the boat if they told you that you are all good as they have an incentive to tell you that you are ok.

Tow ratings assume a 150lb driver and nothing else that did not come on the vehicle stock. The boat and trailer are rated at dry shipping weight of 5,000 lbs without batteries fuel etc. Add up passengers, batteries, fuel, gear, food, beer, etc and a 242 is more likely around 5,500 to 6,000 lbs. Forget damage to the boat, vehicle, or a break down inconvenience. Instead think about what could happen to other people on the road, you, or your family. Is the risk of the worst case even worth it for short tows?

I go with the total weight of everything plus a 20% buffer as my strategic and operational risk limit.

All that said will a Pilot do the job? Probably. Would I chance it even for a short tow? NEVER. To each their own but when I see a tow setup that is obviously overweight I stay as far away as I can and think to myself which is worse ... a driver who does not know better or one that does. I would not want to go on a marked trail day hike never mind cross the ocean with either one.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Betik - Look at the bright side. Now you have a legitimate reason to get a new truck or really big suv:thumbsup:

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been so excited and focused on finding the perfect Bimini boat, that I might have missed the part where I have to tow from Texas to Florida.

Has anyone towed a 240 on a pilot for 500-1000 miles ?

Our Pilot is 2016 4 wheel drive with the transmission cooler.
The boat & trailer weighs more than your Pilot, not safe, would not put my family at risk or others on the highway. Could it tow it? Yes, safely No!!!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As stated renting a full size vehicle for the week would be doable too. Keeps miles off your vehicle and probably better on fuel. I personally would not tow it with the pilot. I was watching the new ridgeline closely hoping it would have a higher tow rating. If I only had skis I would get that or a small boat. Seems like a neat truck.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Honda AT mated to the V6 engines are notorious for being weak. Even with the cooler, I would be careful putting that much stress on it.
I weighed my SX240 with full tank of gas and 2 batteries(otherwise empty inside) and it came right up at 5000lbs.

Brake is also a weak part of the Honda vehicles. compound for the pad is geared for less noise/dust which means braking capability is reduced. Invest in a new set of pads at the bare minimum to cope with additional weight. 240s will have surge brakes on the trailer to aid braking but still...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some have rented small RVs for the tow. Doing so saves on hotels for the tow. That might be an option for you. I know you do not want to trade your new Pilot for a truck.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Be careful assuming you can tow with a rental. My understanding is most rental agreements/agencies prohibit towing.

I know you can get a rental truck from Enterprise for example that allows towing, but their standard rentals do not.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck I know at enterprise you have to ask for towing. As some of there normal vehicles/trucks are not equipped to tow. They have a special rate and vehicle that are equipped for towing.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck I know at enterprise you have to ask for towing. As some of there normal vehicles/trucks are not equipped to tow. They have a special rate and vehicle that are equipped for towing.
Yep, that's right. I was at the airport here in ATL a few years back and needed to rent a truck to tow a light trailer and none of the rental agencies (which there are a ton there) would allow it. Some agencies had tow packages on the full size SUVs and trucks but they didn't allow it. If I recall correctly Enterprise told me I would have to visit their commercial location. I believe it was a flat rate plus mileage. It could get costly if traveling a long distance.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for your blunt opinion. Much appreaciate it. :mad::mad:
If I find a 240 worth towing on rental will do so, otherwise I will have to stick on AR190 . :banghead:

In terms of truck, I did buy a 4x4 crew max 5.7 Tundra on random Friday evening in July ( traded in my 2014 oddysey). On saturday I took my wife, her mother in law, and the kids to lake Texoma for trip. Given the sour face that my wife and her mother in law ( yes that is my mom) had about the Tundra, I traded in on Monday for a Pilot. I was the proud owner of truck for 4 days and 192 miles. After that, back to jacked up 4 wheel drive minivan ( no offense to oddysey, I love them). So truck is sad story, but next time around I am getting a 350 diesel ;)

Good to be in place where people whom I have never met treat me like a little brother. I am very to learn from y'all instead of being the fool who learns from expeerience. :D

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Diesel, that is the way to go!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik you could easily buy my 240 listed in the classifieds and tow vehicle for less than a newer 240. :winkingthumbsup"