• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can anyone help me fix my 07 SX230 in New Smyrna Beach, Florida?

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s almost been two years without being able to use my boat. I have called so many shops, dealerships and mechanics about having it fixed. It amazes me that in Florida no one works on them that knows what they are doing. The Yamaha dealerships won’t touch them if they are over 5-10 years old depending on the dealership. I can’t believe a Yamaha dealership is allowed to say they won’t work on it because of the age. I went to a Yamaha dealership in Colorado yesterday and they said they work on them all regardless of age.

One of the engines had water in the oil after warming it up on the hose to do an oil change. I got all the water out of the engine immediately. The same engine had the same problem a few years earlier. The exhaust was leaking and the mechanic had it welded instead of replacing it. I’m thinking it may be the same problem again but I’m not sure.

My family and I would really like to get the boat running again. I live in New Smyrna Beach which is just south of Daytona Beach. If you know of anyone that might be able to fix it I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man that sucks. I’d almost just buy a Yamaha jet ski with the same HO engine (if you have the HO engines anyways) and swap it out with the bad engine. If your problem is only one engine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
do a search on here the MR1 engines over time can corrode where the water jackets are between the head and the block you may be able to resurface the head and replave the head gasket or you may need a new head usually the teltale sign is water in the oil and low compression in the effected cylinders.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before buying the Yamaha, we had already had loads of fun with family and friends with a simple low power outboard.
With the SX230, milky oil problems, most often, require removing the affected engine from the boat. That is just the starting point. The learning curve for disassembly and reassembly comes next. For most families, it just isn't worth it.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dont know if this guy can help at all, but I met him at a park about 3 years ago when he had beached his SX230 from the river and was out enjoying the park. We were just talking because we had the same boat and of course his business came up when I asked about a maintenance person if I ever brought my boat to my florida house. Nice enough guy, cant speak for his business or repair acumen, but it's a lead. If it works out or doesnt' report back here for sure!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like it may be time to repower or move on to another boat. Chasing down major issues in any boat can be costly and more importantly, too stressful.

Nsbbum

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dont know if this guy can help at all, but I met him at a park about 3 years ago when he had beached his SX230 from the river and was out enjoying the park. We were just talking because we had the same boat and of course his business came up when I asked about a maintenance person if I ever brought my boat to my florida house. Nice enough guy, cant speak for his business or repair acumen, but it's a lead. If it works out or doesnt' report back here for sure!

Thanks for the Lead. I called Wayne and he said it’s too old and not something he works on since he doesn’t have a shop. He said the MR-1 engines are problematic and a pain to work on. I appreciate the lead though.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s not a hard fix for someone that knows what they are doing. Pull the engine, disassemble, find the problem and fix it. Could be a blown head gasket, cracked head or exhaust manifold issue. All pretty straightforward. Worst case buy a reman engine and slap it in and be on your way.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you need to be talking to an independent jetski shop, your boat is just a big jetski with 2 jetski engines,

tell them they are mr1 and have water in the oil,

I really can't believe this has been going on for two years, if you can't find a ski shop within a month you need to just sell the boat,

or trailer it to @Neutron in NC, a member here who is a mechanic,

looking at Wayne's website, he's not a mechanic, he does oil change and accessory installs,
these engines may have specific problems but for a mechanic that makes it easy to know where to look and how to fix,

to call them "problematic and not easy to work on" is to say you you're not knowledgeable or capable,

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since this is the second time with the same engine i would look for a complete replacement engine with the exhaust.
Where the problem is with an old boat or ski is when the repair cost more than the boats worth the shop ends up losing money, most of the time, the boat sits in their way and the boats owner leaves it and some times never picks it up. So i kinda understand why some shops wont work on old stuff. In this business it happens a lot. Go to any boat shop and ask how much it happens.

A 2007 salt water boat is considered very old and while there are exceptions to that rule.
You would be surprised how much money it costs to do something that would be cheap on a newer boat. We all know things corrode and break easily, or just wont come apart without destroying it.