• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

can I screw some hooks into the boat ?

RobertH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Hi Folks,

I want to attach some handles onto the boat's cockpit area, underneath the driver & passenger dashboard areas so I can stow gear there securely. I'd attach a pair of simple drawer type handles to each side and use a rope or strap between them to hold my esky or whatever in place.

Can I just drill holes into the fibreglass and put screws in to hold such handles on ? If so what sort of screws can I use ?

Thank you

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am not familiar with the build of the Sugar Sand boats. I did find on my 07 AR 230 that they put carpet covered marine plywood on both the forward and aft bulkheads of the head/storage compartment/locker. I found that to take screws very nicely to hang gear. Instead of drilling holes in the fiberglass, expecially on the outer hull, how about sticking some plywood on a surface with 3m 5200 and then you can drill all the holes you want in the plywood. I don't own a Sugar Sand so I don't know what surfaces are OK to drill or what is on the other side. Just a suggestion.

Edit: Use S.S. hardware.

Last edited:

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
You should be fine. If it is going to hold some weight, I'd try to add a backing plate of some sort like a piece of aluminum and use a machine screw or bolt. Also, when drilling fiberglass go slow and run the drill in reverse to dimple the gelcoat first before you drill. Helps to keep from getting spider cracks in the gelcoat.

RobertH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Thank you ! Very helpful. I did get it done, will post photos shortly