• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I tow an AR230 with 2006 Explorer?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm likely buying a 2006 AR230HO this weekend to replace my 1999 LS2000. I currently tow with my 2006 Explorer which does fine even though the trailer has no brakes. The Explorer has the V8 with class 3/4 towing and rated 7120lbs per the manual. Boat should be 3,000lbs dry. Gas is 300lbs. Trailer appears to be original galvanized, dual axle that I think has surge brakes so would imagine that is at least 1,000 lbs so I'm probably in the 4,500 range for the boat. The wife and 2 young kids, less than 200lbs total and then our stuff should have us around 5,000 total payload on a vacation trip. Would that be ok? It seems the numbers are fine but I don't like to push things in the real world. We have plans to replace the Explorer with a 2016+ Expedition(maybe Suburban) but were hoping to hold off on that for at least another year or 2. We'll take a couple trips to the river which is an hour drive, some stop and go but mostly highway and then probably 2 trips to the beach which are about 5 hours each way, mostly highway.

Attachments

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the Explorer is as good as the Durango RT, you’ll be fine. 😉 We have the Durango RT, also rated for 7k, and it pulls and handles our 23’ very well, just be aware that you’re getting close to the upper range of what the vehicle is rated for, and drive accordingly.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you had asked me if it was within capacity, I would have bet it was much closer. But at over 7000lbs, you are in better shape than some pickup trucks. I'm impressed. (I would believe your mfg's manual before a random opinion)

Enjoy the boat!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will be fine. I'd just make sure your explorer has a fresh cooling and braking system, and fresh trans fluid.

Stability won't be amazing, but if you keep sane with it you'll be fine. I'm using a TBSS for my Sx230.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something and did something stupid. I'd like to get another year or 2 out of this Explorer since it still runs great. I'll keep it sane and all will be good.

Last edited:

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure you have the right drop/raise hitch to keep the trailer level and make sure your trailer brakes are working and you should be fine.

I towed my SX 230 for a couple years with a Tacoma, and currently tow with a Lexus GX460. Both have 6,500 lb capacity but the GX tows better. Has the V8 and self leveling air ride in the rear.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm likely buying a 2006 AR230HO this weekend to replace my 1999 LS2000. I currently tow with my 2006 Explorer which does fine even though the trailer has no brakes. The Explorer has the V8 with class 3/4 towing and rated 7120lbs per the manual. Boat should be 3,000lbs dry. Gas is 300lbs. Trailer appears to be original galvanized, dual axle that I think has surge brakes so would imagine that is at least 1,000 lbs so I'm probably in the 4,500 range for the boat. The wife and 2 young kids, less than 200lbs total and then our stuff should have us around 5,000 total payload on a vacation trip. Would that be ok? It seems the numbers are fine but I don't like to push things in the real world. We have plans to replace the Explorer with a 2016+ Expedition(maybe Suburban) but were hoping to hold off on that for at least another year or 2. We'll take a couple trips to the river which is an hour drive, some stop and go but mostly highway and then probably 2 trips to the beach which are about 5 hours each way, mostly highway.
I would not have guessed that high of a rating on an Explorer. Based on what I've seen with the older AR boats, I would expect that rig to be around 5,000-5,200lbs ready to head to the lake. That fuel, coolers, trailer, anchor, water toys, vests, spare batteries, etc. With a 7,100lbs rating, I think you're in fine shape to add a few kids and a dog to the vehicle without going over GCVWR of 12k lbs.

Like others have said, you're in a 15yr old vehicle now. Might be worth flushing/filling all the fluids and giving the hoses, belts, bushings and other rubbery bits a good once over inspection. Last thing you want is tow vehicle mechanical troubles while on vacation time with the family. I would also highly recommend checking the tires load rating against the axle load rating to ensure the comfy P-rated tires most people run haven't compromised your ratings there.

Enjoy your new boat!

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2008 AR230 and used to tow it with a VW Touareg that has a similar tow capacity (7800) and never had any issues. I still use it as my backup tow vehicle but I will say I really like my RAM 1500 with 10,000+ towing capacity. The hills are much easier now.
I see that you're in Hanover - I'm just up the road in Dillsburg. Where do you go boating? Susquehanna river? We've been going to Conowingo a lot and really like lack of congestion that we see at other locations.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2008 AR230 and used to tow it with a VW Touareg that has a similar tow capacity (7800) and never had any issues. I still use it as my backup tow vehicle but I will say I really like my RAM 1500 with 10,000+ towing capacity. The hills are much easier now.
I see that you're in Hanover - I'm just up the road in Dillsburg. Where do you go boating? Susquehanna river? We've been going to Conowingo a lot and really like lack of congestion that we see at other locations.
We will upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle in the next couple years, most likely an Expedition but I'll get a little more life out of this Explorer. It still looks and runs great. We go to the Susquehanna River/Lake Clarke below Wrightsville a couple times a year. We also do a couple weekends and one whole week on the VA eastern shore where my in laws have a house on the water. Sucks being an hour from water, but it is what it is. I'm 2 minutes from Codorus State Park but that's limited to 20HP.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a shame about Codorus, a 1300 acre lake with a 20hp limit and beautiful area. It's the closest decent size lake to us as well. I guess the 20hp restriction keeps the jet skis off it. We go to Blue Marsh over in Reading (half the size of Codorus) and the jet skis have just about ruined it. We anchor up in no-wake coves and inevitably a jet ski will comes zipping by on plane with no regard for the no wake signs. The Park Rangers are slow to respond to any "illegal" activity as well. Have you tried the Conowingo Dam yet? It's a lot less crowded than Clarke and bigger as well. It's a little further down but worth the additional time for the reduction in stress from the crowds. The public ramp at Clarke leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit: Actually Blue Marsh and Codorus are about the same size but more than half of Blue Marsh is no-wake zone so it seems half as big.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not tried Conowingo, mainly because it is farther. If it's less busy that is appealing. We typically go to Lake Clarke real early or in the evening when it's not too bad.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bald eagles at Conowingo are really cool as well and there are a fair number of them. On the other side of the dam there's a place where a lot of photographers go to take pictures of them and their nests. Supposedly around Thanksgiving, more than 50 of them gather there.