• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing a SX 195 with a 2021 Ford Bronco

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Or you buy a Jeep Gladiator.
IMHO, no, as I looked at these October of last year when I bought my Ram. Towing capacity of the Gladiators were listed at 4000 - 7000 lbs. While certainly enough for a SX195, not the vehicle for serious towing (heavy loads - long distance). For light towing and great off-roading ability, the Gladiator is a great vehicle and also one that is in high demand. When I was looking at 2020 models, last September, the Gladiator and my Ram both has MSRP's just over $50K. Difference was I got a 30% discount off the Ram while the Gladiator, as a model year leftover, had a very tiny discount. Don't get me wrong, we love Jeeps, and have had two for about 20 years. For towing and hauling, however, there is no comparison between the Gladiator and the Ram.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pulled the trigger two weeks ago, Bronco is getting shipped next week from the port of Charleston.

2.7 outer Banks, Sas and Lux package, cactus gray with roast interior.

@scubasteve87 , still happy with yours?

Patrick
Congratulations on the new Bronco.

As I mentioned in regards to the first post, I think the blue is a nice color on these vehicles. You picture may be the first that I have seen with the top folded down.

Jim

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulled the trigger two weeks ago, Bronco is getting shipped next week from the port of Charleston.

2.7 outer Banks, Sas and Lux package, cactus gray with roast interior.

@scubasteve87 , still happy with yours?

Patrick
Yeah I'm still very happy with it. I have a little over 1500 miles on it after about 6 week of use. It includes some short trips, some towing, some minor off roading and a road trip and it has met everyone one of my expectations.

I really needed a swiss army vehicle. I needed something that could tow the boat, take the dog out on the beach, road trip, camping trips, be a second vehicle, winter vehicle and also not break the bank. The Bronco fits the role perfectly, plus it being a cool unique vehicle that is not a Wrangler.

Jack of all Master of none comes to mind.
I would agree in having the right "tool" for the job, but if you get something that can get the job done and meet a bunch of needs I see no issue with it.

But this saying is always a misconception. The actual quote/saying is "A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one." It originally was meant more of a compliment back in the day.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the US, the max tow for any model wrangler is 3500lbs not kg same as the Bronco.
The wrangler 4 doors tow more as do the wrangler truck/gladiator.

Only the 2 door wranglers are that poor in towing because they're so short.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Nope, max towing for 4 door wrangler is 3500lbs. Max towing for a 2 door is 2,000lbs. Gladiator is higher, but that is a whole different beast.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I pulled this chart off a Jeep dealer's website. I believe each number in the maximum tow capacity for that model. Not sure is this is 2021 and/or 2022 models.

How Much Can a Jeep Tow?

Jeep ModelTowing Capacity
Jeep Compass2,000 pounds
Jeep Renegade2,000 pounds
Jeep Wrangler3,500 pounds
Jeep Cherokee4,500 pounds
Jeep Grand Cherokee7,200 pounds
Jeep Gladiator7,650 pounds
Wagoneer10,000 pounds
Grand Wagoneer10,000 pounds

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope, max towing for 4 door wrangler is 3500lbs. Max towing for a 2 door is 2,000lbs. Gladiator is higher, but that is a whole different beast.
I could be wrong, I thought the unlimited had a 5k pound tow rating. 3500 pounds is pathetic, lol.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could be wrong, I thought the unlimited had a 5k pound tow rating. 3500 pounds is pathetic, lol.
The rear suspension must be the limiting factor since that is the big change for the Gladiator.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I would have bet money as well that the 4-door wrangler could tow more. I had 5,200 in my head.

I've looked at every year as far back as 2010, and they're all rated at 3,500lbs.

I would've lost money on that bet.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would have bet money as well that the 4-door wrangler could tow more. I had 5,200 in my head.

I've looked at every year as far back as 2010, and they're all rated at 3,500lbs.

I would've lost money on that bet.
Definitely a vehicle which I take up to its towing and gross weight limits without concern. I had a buddy in the military who used to say "they wouldn't call it the minimum if it wasn't good enough. " In this case the maximum is good enough.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hope you guys are loving your Broncos, we waited 521 days from initial reservation. Picked my wife's up December 15th. Oxford White Wildtrak 4 door, Lux, Leather, Tow. Added some Method wheels. Awesome vehicle20220123_170200~2.jpg

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
4CCEE7C6-EA93-4318-BEB2-48BEF9D17973.jpegWell we just sold the wife’s Wrangler JK sport. Usually tow with my F150. But we want to get a travel trailer too and need two tow vehicles…so tried with the Jeep… def not recommend!!!! Engine worked really hard and didn’t feel stable. I am sure we were at the barely legal limit.

End result - Jeep sold and purchased 2022 explorer ST. 6000lb tow capacity with the v6 3.0 twin turbo. Doubles as sports car or tow vehicle LOL.

Last edited:

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not sure why the new Bronco has a maximum tow limit of 3,500 lbs, but thinking it’s most likely the off road orientation of the suspension since the engine(s) offer plenty of power 285C2F83-EAAA-48ED-BB4A-23895D0E9A87.jpegand just about any mid-sized 4x4 has a tow capacity of +5k lbs. So, If you plan to upgrade to a bigger load you’ll need to trade for something more capable of towing.

Last edited:

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure why the new Bronco has a maximum tow limit of 3,500 lbs, but thinking it’s most likely the off road orientation of the suspension since the engine(s) offer plenty of power View attachment 170539and just about any mid-sized 4x4 has a tow capacity of +5k lbs. So, If you plan to upgrade to a bigger load you’ll need to trade for something more capable of towing.
The new Bronco Raptor just recently announced pushed the tow capacity up to 4,500lbs. Again I think the limiting factor is the stock suspension, potential gearing and brakes. The power and transmission are shared with the Ford Ranger which can go up to 7,000lbs.

I have the locking rear diff in my Bronco which moved me from 3.73 rear gears to 4.46 which should also help towing. Its certainly not a dedicated vehicle, but a smaller boat/trailer it should be more than capable by a good margin.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 170538Well we just sold the wife’s Wrangler JK sport. Usually tow with my F150. But we want to get a travel trailer too and need two tow vehicles…so tried with the Jeep… def not recommend!!!! Engine worked really hard and didn’t feel stable. I am sure we were at the barely legal limit.

End result - Jeep sold and purchased 2022 explorer ST. 6000lb tow capacity with the v6 3.0 twin turbo. Doubles as sports car or tow vehicle LOL.
In 2020 I came THIS close to buying an Explorer ST before I bought my TBSS. Had a deal worked out, was gonna go drove and get it over the weekend, Thursday afternoon I found out a different sales rep sold it the prior day despite it being "marked as sold". Loved the chassis, styling, and steering wheel. Good power too, though I'm still leery on that engine. The infotainment and general quality however was complete garbage. Panels didn't fit anywhere, huge visible seam in the carpet by the passenger seat, laggy digital gauge cluster, wouldn't save drove modes after you shut it off... That stupid portrait screen was a massive disappointment too, it'd be better if you could get all the toys without that stupid thing with the worst software implementation ever

These automakers are pushing heavily into the digital space and IMO don't have the mindset, people, or desire to make that work. Infotainment dates cars and it feels like almost all of the automakers are constantly behind the curve. FCA and Hyundai/Kia are about the only two who seem to be able to keep stuff current to some extent.

Anyways, interested to hear how it does towing.

Last edited:

Bucky Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just in case Bronco owners find this string, as I did recently. I just got an AR195 and was stressing about towing it due to the tow capacity (I have a’22 4 door Outer Banks). I reached out to scubasteve (on the Bronco forum actually). He was super helpful putting my mind at ease as he’d towed his SX195 plenty without issue.

My first towing experience with the Bronco was last weekend—a crappy, windy sleeting day. Only about a 1.5 hour tow, but the Bronco was flawless. Actually the hardest part was keeping my speed down on the highway. Thanks again Steve, and for anyone else stressing as I was, there’s no issue at all.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Limiting issue is wheel base.

Anyways not apples to apples but my 4 door Wrangler tows a 195 with zero issues, I would have zero concerns in a Bronco.

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Pic of the Bronco and the 285.
285 dwarfs the Bronco ;)

Don't worry, we don't drive on public roads like that.

Bronco is amazing, but the low towing capacity is forcing us to sell it.

Attachments

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yikes, that's a big boat on that little SUV, haha. Might just be the perspective?

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yikes, that's a big boat on that little SUV, haha. Might just be the perspective?
Of course its also the perspective :cool:
But it is a big boat