• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you believe it???

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went to one of my favorite lakes, Lake Jocassee,last weekend with boat and camper in tow. We had our boat moored overnight in a really small cover by the campers. We’ve done this a dozen times. Woke up around 7:30am, looked out on the water with a cup of coffee and noticed MY boat about 500yds off shore!?!?!?!

Drop the coffee jump in and started swimming.

I had the boat tied off the front with the bungee boat buddy and regular rope off the back. As I swam closer to the boat I noticed the rope was coiled up on the rear swim deck??? WTH? How’d that happen??? Get a lil closer and see the front line was cut! Someone cut the front and back lines! No way was it due to rubbing or anything like that. This was a super clean cut. Drive the boat back to the same cove and both my anchors were there. Someone literally cut my boat in the middle of the night. Talk about FIRED up but there was literally nothing I could do aside from kicking everyone’s ass on the lake. For the life of me I cannot understand why. There are lots of things you do in life but you never mess with someone’s property.

I still haven’t solved the mystery, I have a feeling whoever cut the rope also towed it out to the middle of the lake, the current was coming in and almost always does. If anything I’m thankful he did that rather than seeing my boat bouncing off the shore rocks.

Gah was I fired up!!! But I just cannot understand why??

That's crazy. Some sick people out there. Jealousy or did you possibly do anything to someone over there? Go through a no wake too fast? block their view somehow? No explanation for doing that though anyway. Id be on guard all night now haha.

Gah I tell ya, I ran through all those scenarios and I’m truly stumped. I’m probably over courteous when it comes to boating.

Mistaken boat identity perhaps? But still you just don’t do that.

You DON'T mess with a man's boat!!!! That's the first AND the last straw! lol boat_messing.jpg

Could it be dumbass kids doing something they think is funny?

Un-freaking-believable. I am guessing 12 - 16 year old boys who think it's funny.....

Glad you got the boat back, that could have been much worse, like boat wash ashore and bashing against some rocks or something....

Anchor buddy/bungees tend to break when they get a little older, particularly when exposed to sun.
Given the boat was being pushed out by current (?) I would not completely dismiss the possibility of those bungees breaking. Those are not meant as a main anchor or for mooring.

--

It is always a bit scary leaving your boat near the shore on Keowee or Jocassee. They are constantly adjusting the lake levels on both those lakes. I can't count how many times I have seen pontoons beached completely out of the water in the morning at a campground. People pull them up and then Keowee lets water out overnight and you have to wait for the "tide" from Jocassee to come back in. Maybe someone knew they were lowering the lake level and were trying to "help?" I don't know why they would cut the lines though. Pretty strange, especially for Jocassee. Not many boaters on that lake and the partiers/jerks stay on Keowee and Hartwell.

We were actually on Jocassee last Sunday as well and got caught in the terrible storm out on the water. Hope you made it out before the trees fell and blocked everyone from getting out of the park!

Anchor buddy/bungees tend to break when they get a little older, particularly when exposed to sun.
Given the boat was being pushed out by current (?) I would not completely dismiss the possibility of those bungees breaking. Those are not meant as a main anchor or for mooring.

--
Well the good thing about the anchor buddy is even if the bungee breaks, the outside rope (if you will) stays in tact. I like to use the anchor buddy off the bow to allow a little cushion due to the current or a passing boat to prevent the anchor from pulling loose.

36CDC1BF-86B3-4EB6-BF44-CF6421BEE44E.png 36CDC1BF-86B3-4EB6-BF44-CF6421BEE44E.png
It is always a bit scary leaving your boat near the shore on Keowee or Jocassee. They are constantly adjusting the lake levels on both those lakes. I can't count how many times I have seen pontoons beached completely out of the water in the morning at a campground. People pull them up and then Keowee lets water out overnight and you have to wait for the "tide" from Jocassee to come back in. Maybe someone knew they were lowering the lake level and were trying to "help?" I don't know why they would cut the lines though. Pretty strange, especially for Jocassee. Not many boaters on that lake and the partiers/jerks stay on Keowee and Hartwell.

We were actually on Jocassee last Sunday as well and got caught in the terrible storm out on the water. Hope you made it out before the trees fell and blocked everyone from getting out of the park!
Boy talk about a storm!! No we were in the midst of putting the boat on the trailer and heard some whistles from kayakers so we went back out and helped about 10 people. Some of the boats sank, another gentleman was crying because he couldn’t find his wife (we found her) but it was one hell of a storm! We ended up camping another night as power lines blocked the road going out to 11.

Could it be dumbass kids doing something they think is funny?
I really don’t think so, because we had some cold beverages in the cooler onboard. If I was a dumbass kid, I would have pounded a few of those while I was cutting ropes too! Lol

View attachment 77678 View attachment 77678
Boy talk about a storm!! No we were in the midst of putting the boat on the trailer and heard some whistles from kayakers so we went back out and helped about 10 people. Some of the boats sank, another gentleman was crying because he couldn’t find his wife (we found her) but it was one hell of a storm! We ended up camping another night as power lines blocked the road going out to 11.

Yep, it snuck up on us and we got caught in it. Two boats and a ski in our group. There was talk that 3 boats went down in it but the article we found on it showed just one 18' boat capsized. We ended up pulling a 40' 5th wheel down that small dirt road they opened up that night and got out about 10:30pm.

https://www.independentmail.com/sto...trees-and-power-lines-capsize-boat/730453002/

Sleep on the boat with a shot gun!!! Or get steel lines and lock them up at night.

Yep, it snuck up on us and we got caught in it. Two boats and a ski in our group. There was talk that 3 boats went down in it but the article we found on it showed just one 18' boat capsized. We ended up pulling a 40' 5th wheel down that small dirt road they opened up that night and got out about 10:30pm.

https://www.independentmail.com/sto...trees-and-power-lines-capsize-boat/730453002/
Man, sorry we missed you. Actually looking at your profile pic, I think I saw your boat at the landing. I’m always trying to spot the jet boats. We camped at site 40. Did you see the tree that narowly missed the pop up camper by the bathhouse?

Attachments

• 194BB4BB-465B-4ED0-AB71-88D80A0D11C1.jpeg
    194BB4BB-465B-4ED0-AB71-88D80A0D11C1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
Damn that is crazy! I can't imagine the feeling you had seeing your boat way out in the water. I to would have been ready to hit something. Glad everything worked out and no harm was done to the boat!

I really don’t think so, because we had some cold beverages in the cooler onboard. If I was a dumbass kid, I would have pounded a few of those while I was cutting ropes too! Lol

You may be giving the dumbasses far too much credit. I do criminal defense work. Generally my kids don’t think that far ahead to check for beer. The damage is as far as their little brains let them go.

Sounds like we need to plan a jetboater gathering/camping trip to jocassee!

We camped there over Easter weekend had camp site 31 I think it was nice walk down to cove with sandy beach.

How busy has the campground been?

Yeah for sure! We’ll def be up there again before the end of the season.

I will say, even though Jocassee never really gets packed it did seem a lil extra busy that weekend. But once you got out of the landing area it was fine.

Random but I follow just dumb videos on Instagram and saw this one yesterday, immediately recognized it was Jocassee. You couldn’t pay me to do that jump. We’ve jumped 1,000 times over there but never remotely that high.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkiN2S_HH2I/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1gzilhcfacexj

Back