• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you easily replace the cup holders on a 165?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, I own a 2015 Scarab 165. I, like others, have noticed that all the cup holders keep filling up with water when I don't have the cover on. I read that I could potentially drill holes in some of them, but the ones at the swim deck I can't since they would empty right onto the engine (I checked).

So at first I was looking for cup holder "inserts" that would fit those properly, but I can't seem to find any (note that I am in Canada, Amazon.com is not a possibility due to excess shipping charges/duties/etc.). My hope was to find some without a drain hole so that I could just lift them out and empty the water when required.

But since I can't seem to find any, now I'm debating just buying replacement ones but I'm not at the cottage until this weekend so I can't check how easy it is to remove the original ones. They looked glued to me but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Another possibility is to drill holes in all the cup holders except the swim deck ones (assuming those other ones can drain into the bilge) and only have this issue for 2 cup holders instead of 8.

Thoughts?

Luc

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just use a microfiber towel to get the water out of mine. Stuff the towel in there, let it soak up the water, wring it out and repeat on the next one. Takes mere seconds.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi Bill, yeah, I do something similar with a sponge and agreed, it's a very minor issue that is easily dealt with! But I'm still looking for a permanent solution if one exists at a reasonable cost :) Still super happy with this boat... man oh man is it a lot of fun to drive! I get a lot of comments from random people when I go by, especially on the lake system I'm on since very few people have very nice boats.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes they are removable, they are only held in place with a double sided foam ring. I removed my two front ones for install of docking lights and put electrical tape around them to make them snug so I can remove them when I want to. Mine do drain into the bilge with the exception of the swim deck, but can be fitted with fitting and hose so not to drain on the engine.

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It shouldn't be that long before they fallout on there own.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There's another thread very recently on this subject and @ScarabMike provided a link to Walmart for replacement stainless cup holders

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thanks, I saw that thread. Until now, with the other comment, I now know that they are stuck on there with double sided tape... so my plan this weekend is to remove one and measure the hole before finding a suitable replacement. As I indicated already, I'm in Canada, I can't order from the American Walmart so I have to find an equivalent product with the right dimensions. That link has no dimensions but I believe I found the same product at Amazon Canada here: https://www.amazon.ca/Amarine-made-Stainless-Holder-Marine-Camper/dp/B0097MF4DU/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X53QDPTQ1GY1DGZM16T4

I just have to verify the size of the hole and to have a plan for the draining so that it doesn't drain on the engine for the swim deck ones.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, I saw that thread. Until now, with the other comment, I now know that they are stuck on there with double sided tape... so my plan this weekend is to remove one and measure the hole before finding a suitable replacement. As I indicated already, I'm in Canada, I can't order from the American Walmart so I have to find an equivalent product with the right dimensions. That link has no dimensions but I believe I found the same product at Amazon Canada here: https://www.amazon.ca/Amarine-made-Stainless-Holder-Marine-Camper/dp/B0097MF4DU/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X53QDPTQ1GY1DGZM16T4

I just have to verify the size of the hole and to have a plan for the draining so that it doesn't drain on the engine for the swim deck ones.
I'm resolved to the fact that whatever I have for cup holders, I will have to either maintain them or replace them over time. I choose to remove mine when cleaning the boat. I broke all the two sided foam tape and cleaned them up with a scotchbrite pad. I stack them and throw them in the glovebox. Alan has a good idea putting electrical tape at top to make them snug. In my opinion, Drilling holes and modifying will not cure the inevitable. Weather water pools or forms as condensation it will eventually deteriorate the stainless. It's easier for me to scoop them up when cleaning and throw them in a dry place. I will admit it can be annoying when you grab your drink and the cup holder comes with it, but that's minor.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, I do really like the idea of using the ones that came with the boat, not drill holes, but to make them easy to remove and just empty them when needed. Also easier to clean by rinsing them in the lake. When I remove one, I'll see if that can work... and maybe add the electrical tape around the perimeter as suggested. If for some reason this doesn't work, then consider buying some new cup holders made out of plastic with a drain hole. Ah, the humanity! ;) lol

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So I decided to simply drill small holes in each except the swim deck ones. Instead of drilling, I melted a hole using a finishing nail by heating it up. Worked wonderfully. So now I only have the swim deck ones to deal with when it rains. Minor issue.