• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Canadian Tariffs on imported boats

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like Yamaha boats just became 10% more expensive for us Canadians. The Canadian government has imposed a 10% tariff on all boats imported from the US in response to the new US tariffs. Doesn't sound like much, but that's a $4000 price increase to buy my boat new. That's good for our used boat market but will be a pretty big hit for dealers since the vast majority of the boats up here come out of Florida.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I work in the states and I am actually worried this could get ugly...

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Better buy a boat quick as they haven’t taken affect just yet, but definitely the dumbest thing Trump has done in office...

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm actually in favor for the tariffs. I also work in manufacturing industry so we are certainly affected as we use lots of raw metals. Tired of seeing my country get bent and glad someone is actually trying to curb the nonsense of weakening our country as we've been selling ourselves short to foreign dependency for as long as I can remember. #MAGA

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I mean how many boats do we really export to them? What is their boating season? 5 weeks?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bottom line...You don't punish your allies if you want their help against our real trading nemesis, China.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm actually in favor for the tariffs. I also work in manufacturing industry so we are certainly affected as we use lots of raw metals. Tired of seeing my country get bent and glad someone is actually trying to curb the nonsense of weakening our country as we've been selling ourselves short to foreign dependency for as long as I can remember. #MAGA
the real problem with these tariffs is that the end consumer ultimately forks over more money and it indeed will affect Canadian and US Jobs. If the Canadian government implements a 10% tariff on Yamaha boats that are manufactured in the US chances are Canadian sales will decline, production will decrease and US manufacturing jobs will be lost. its a slippery slope that could account for lost jobs on either side of the boarder. as much as I don't like our Liberal Trudeau government, he really had no choice ( just like other countries are doing).

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
While I understand your stance it is pretty narrow minded.

Sad our closest neighbors don't want healthy trade relationships and instead chose to focus on an already relatively fair trade market.

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/canada

All in all looks like a very evenly matched situation in regards to imports and exports.
  • Canada was the United States' largest goods export market in 2017.
Need I say more?

I do understand the frustration you have however I believe other regions are the real problem. Minimum wage in many Canadian provinces will be 15$ an hour by the end of next year. Hard to compete with the 1.00$ an hour or less manufacturing markets.

Also:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/01/trump-says-us-might-prefer-separate-trade-deals-with-canada-mexico-instead-of-nafta.html

:pompus:

Last edited:

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the end of the day this is going to cost us more money regardless of what side of the border we live on. I say we put Trudeau and Trump in a boxing ring and let them go.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm sorry but any man that identifies himself as a feminist doesn't strike me as a bold fighter :D. Yes this will cost money on both sides. It is a tax after all and the producers will raise their cost of products to try and compensate their losses. I am not scared. In the end I want my country to have less foreign dependency and go back to being a true producer of goods. We peaked during the 50's and 60's and then sold ourselves short ever since by allowing all of our resources and labor to be outsourced. Countries will adjust, they always do and life will go on.

Last edited:

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lol ^^
Technically he didn’t raise anything being that the old discount they were getting on the percentages just expired. As the terms were set by those previously; if the original negotiations/negotiators didn’t want the potential for influx in the terms at maturity why weren’t they permanently applied... The answer can only be that they were never intended to last this long...
We should still extend a better hand to Canada and Mexico in good faith that we can continue to work harder guarding our languages/borders/and cultures... as that needs our direct attention more than anything...

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am at a wait and see point on this. I think America has gotten a raw deal for decades of free trade stuff. Eastern nc use to be one of the world leaders in various clothing manufacturing plants, denim, cotton etc. Once free trade happened all, ALL factories here shut down. These once booming towns are now depressed areas with no jobs to sustain the populations. Its sad. I am not a politician and I don't have the answers but I think America gives, alot, in many ways without reaping the same returns. Now I don't know if tarrifs are good or bad but what I do know is trump is a negotiator! What motivation do other countries have to negotiate new trade deal with America? None.. They are on the sweet end of the deal. Trumps strategy is to make the deal less sweet. Then they want to talk and then they can work a deal... I think the tarrifs are just a move to bring countries to the table. If it works the media will make him the bad guy. If it doesn't the media will make him the bad guy anyway... Either way it is a move in a chess board no other contires want to even discuss playing. So I am gonna wait and see how the plan works...

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a point of referance. GW Bush placed tariffs on imported steel on March 20th of 2002 but he had to lift them less than nine months later on December 4th of 2003 because the tariffs adversly affected our GDP and employment.

Another consideration. There are approximately 180,000 steel & aluminum workers in this country. It now takes 2 people to do the work that 10 people were doing in 1980. So some of these lost jobs were taken by automation. Most though were lost to foreign competition and dumping. But, do you want a trade war to try to protect the 180,000 steel & aluminium workers at the expense of the 1.8 million workers who use these raw materials to build cars, airplanes, appliances & ect?

The Smoot Hawley tariff of 1930 was considered to play a role in deepening the great depression of 1929. "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

Last edited:

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Young people don’t want most of the jobs we lost. Those will all be replaced by robots if they come back. Good time to be an electrical engineer.