• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Canyon lake

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Come on up to Lake LBJ. Water is still cooler if you are on the Colorado river arm or in deeper water down by the dam. Tons to see! Always constant level.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Come on up to Lake LBJ. Water is still cooler if you are on the Colorado river arm or in deeper water down by the dam. Tons to see! Always constant level.
I’m down! That’s where horshoe bay is correct?

how’s depth there? Stumpy/ rocky at all ? Anyplace to beware of? My boat now drafts 3 ft

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Correct, but that is just a small corner of the lake. Tons of VRBO/ AirBNB houses around to fit all price ranges, plus the resorts at Horseshoe bay. The edges of the lake can be shallow. Mostly sand/mud obstructions on the mid to upper sections, but some rock areas in the lower section and the VERY top of each river section.

Maybe we need to organize a GTG!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I should add, most of the obstacles and problem areas on LBJ are well marked. The middle of the lake and the river profile is marked by red and green buoys at approximately one mile intervals. This is the deepest and guaranteed to be free of trees.
Here are some maps from the regulating body of the highland lakes:

Found these maps, but they are a bit outdated after the floods of 2018. What’s missing are sandbars that didn’t exist pre flood and changes in depth (both shallower and deeper areas POST flood). Rock markings are still relevant.

Regarding canyon lake, found this timely article:

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My wife & I were at LBJ with 2 other families the week after Memorial day...great constant level lake when the droughts in TX show up.
Tips from my trip to LBJ:
1. We rented a VRBO at the north end of the lake very near the Colorado river section, there was a bunch of grass/seaweed like growth at the dock and we didn't fee comfortable swimming in and through that. Tip: Ask VRBO owner if this is an issue prior to booking, or book a place with a pool.
2. Gas on the lake is $6.50 (regular) $7.50 (premium), I've always been a 5 gallon gas can guy - It was helpful to have a couple of teenagers to help (we went through 150+ gallons between the boat and 2 waverunners over 6 days). Tip: Never under estimate how much fuel teenagers will burn in jet ski's.
3. As noted above, the lake portion is well marked with channel markers - stay in the boat lanes and you'll be fine. Venture outside the makers the lake gets shallow very quickly (I have 2 ruined jetski props to prove it!!!). Tip: If you have friends or inexperienced boaters with you, ensure they stay in the lane markers.
4. The river portion is epic butter glass water at sunrise and sunset, we had some of our best experiences wake boarding and surfing this stretch of LBJ. The river section is obviously narrow and by mid morning it doesn't take very many boaters to get it rough from boat wakes. The main body of the lake is fine when the wind isn't blowing, it doesn't take much to get it choppy. Tip: Wife & I will for sure head back, our preference is surfing and boarding and will stay on the river section.
5. I was stopped by the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) boat police, a standard safety check - chatting it up with a few other boaters...law enforcement doesn't mess around on this lake. Tip: Your are now warned about about containers, boat license, etc...I've spend 100's of hours boating on my home lake in north Texas and have never been stopped!!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I should mention that I have a house and keep my boat in the mid-lake section of Sunrise Beach and was up there last weekend. Love it at this lake! So hit me up with questions.

Yep, I get my gas at HEB Kingsland at much lower prices than other lane based gas stations. Wake point is expensive but has the newest tanks and pumps on the lake. Also newer pumps in Horseshoe bay. Haven’t tried the other marinas, but expect Marina fuel prices!

Boat traffic is a problem on the Colorado river arm. Since the flood and COVID, everyone bought surf boats that throw HUGE waves. Add in narrow river and concrete bulkheads and you have yourself a washing machine. Avoid during peak hours especially on weekends. The Llano river past the bridge is much quieter and there are nice places to anchor and wade, toss the football etc! The shore beaches there are considered private property, which is debatable, but no one can say crap If you are out in the water. Wind in the main body does happen, sometimes, 25-30 out of the SE but because of how the lake meanders the waves don’t get too big. It’s usually the aforementioned surf boats that make it choppy.

water cops? Yes we have those but have only been pulled over once. Standard safety inspections, registration check, and maybe a lookyloo for signs of intoxication. Lots of novice and underaged boaters and jet ski operators out, especially in the “Llanorado” area of the lake.

Lastly, weeds. We got more weed than Humboldt county! Seriously, we are having an influx of heavy weeds in areas I have never had weeds before. They are ALL around my dock and I remove them by the truck load. Stay away from shallow canals and the shallow sides of the lake and you should be fine. I do have to remove hydrilla stalks from the impeller shafts every evening using the clean outs. But if you VRBO, don’t get a place on anything but open water.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw that on one of the Canyon lake FB pages.
rhe craziest thing to me about the ramps is vehicles and trailers being towed for parking stupid!! I can’t imagine the feeling after being Jon the lake all day and go back to get your truck/trailer and it’s not there! Especially having kids and such on the boat with no where to dock it and figure out what’s going on! I’d love to hear from those people and hear their story.

Yup su

Yup it’s super low water, only 2-3 ramps open out of the 23 total. Trees sticking up where I’ve never seen them before. Ramp mayhem as everyone’s trying to use the few. The deep areas are still great by the dam and ramp 1.View attachment 204496this guy had a bad day there recently

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
L
I saw that on one of the Canyon lake FB pages.
rhe craziest thing to me about the ramps is vehicles and trailers being towed for parking stupid!! I can’t imagine the feeling after being Jon the lake all day and go back to get your truck/trailer and it’s not there! Especially having kids and such on the boat with no where to dock it and figure out what’s going on! I’d love to hear from those people and hear their story.
quick fix - don’t park stupid 😂😂. When I retire I’m going to sit back on my golf cart with a case of cold ones and watch all the boat ramp entertainment unfold.