• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cavitation?

CORY R MIILLER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am new to this word. Sucked up some rocks a few weeks ago in my sx240. Now I have full rpm but from a dead stop it takes a while to get up to full speed. Once at full speed no problem. Looked at my impeller from reading up on this. Doesn't look too bad. Little knicked up. Can anyone tell me if this little damage could cause cavitation severe enough to make the craft accelerate slowly?

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
whenever I am in need of "cavity search" I always tag @swatski . So I would wait for him to chime in, but to me it looks like someone might be ordering new parts.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just my .02 but those impellers need to be replaced. The housings may be scored also. Here is a good thread you may be interested in. @swatski is the man and he should chime in.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, It's hard to identify the magic "ding" that will be the one to cause cavitation, mine look much worse but you can see the color change after the dings indicating metal wear. since you can identify a point where it started running poorly I think it's easy to assume the impellers are the problem or it wouldn't be a bad investment to change them anyway.

You can pull the impeller/shaft out yourself and if you don't want to change the impeller you can buy the impellers and take the shaft to a PWC shop and they should be able to do the labor for the swap.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not only will that ding be more than adequate to cause cavitation, you can see the cavitation burn on the impeller.

I think an impeller shop may have difficulty repairing that one without adding metal. It's a subjective call, but it doesn't take much ding to hinder the performance, and that rolled edge is more than just a little.

Good luck with it though.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just my .02 but those impellers need to be replaced. The housings may be scored also. Here is a good thread you may be interested in. @swatski is the man and he should chime in.
100% agree on the need to replace the impellers.
Those are not cheap, but the refurbish will not be much less as the leading edges look terrible and would need to be welded, plus it will take much longer.
Your impellers are pitched a bit different from factory, so make sure you order the right ones, the port side has notches on the neck.
I would also re-seal the tunnel, particularly around the wear ring/tunnel contacts - to prevent sucking air.

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am new to this word. Sucked up some rocks a few weeks ago in my sx240. Now I have full rpm but from a dead stop it takes a while to get up to full speed. Once at full speed no problem. Looked at my impeller from reading up on this. Doesn't look too bad. Little knicked up. Can anyone tell me if this little damage could cause cavitation severe enough to make the craft accelerate slowly?
part 24:
upload_2018-7-27_22-40-38.png

Babbitt's have about the best prices, they ship fast, and have excellent customer support:
https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a256f870021f60a12493/jet-unit-1

Will need impeller tool is doing yourself.
--