• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Change out Tower LED bulbs?

Durkis007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone attempted or looked into changing out the tower led bulbs to a different color? It seems plausible it could be done?

LED's of course, are not bulbs, but they are building all sorts of "bulbs" that are actually LED's. Take one out and search for it. I don't have a 242, so I can't help with that. But it is possible. But they may not make whatever LED is in the tower, in any other color. If I were doing it, I would put in RGB up there, and be able to have any color that seemed appropriate. The thing is, that those lights are positioned and make sense for area lighting, not for accent lighting. So if I had a tower, I would probably use them as such, and add my own LED RGB strip lighting on the tower and enjoy both!

Mel... I like the idea of an RGB. When I have a chance I will pull whats there, and see whats up there.

I asked this a month or two ago, I just thought they were way too bright at night. Best idea we came up with was to use a dry erase marker in different colors to see what we liked best. Then once we picked a color use a permanent marker to color the LED lens. Haven't tried it yet though, we typically don't stay out past sundown.

I asked this a month or two ago, I just thought they were way too bright at night. Best idea we came up with was to use a dry erase marker in different colors to see what we liked best. Then once we picked a color use a permanent marker to color the LED lens. Haven't tried it yet though, we typically don't stay out past sundown.
That is what I was saying Mike, the installed lights in the tower aren't intended, nor are they good accent lighting, they are task lights and too bright for anything but. They are for eating, cleaning up, general lighting. What guys are enjoying is more of a mood lighting. I would keep the tower lights as is, just like the courtesy lights, to provide task lighting as you do need that. Add LED RGB lighting discretely where it is indirect and it will provide great mood lighting. LED's are DAMN BRIGHT when it can be seen directly, these things just demand that you hide the LED where you can't see it directly. But the illumination created is great, and even with that, you will need to be able to dim them! Strategically placed RGB LED strips can give you this, allow color fades, changes, flashing, dimming, and more.

If you were to change the bulbs in the tower to a controllable LED bulb with RGB capability, you would have to rewire the fixtures, and change the switch, not to mention the harness won't support RGB. So changing them is not a very good option, because your going to want more light than two small fixtures provide, and the fixtures will still be "direct". I actually want to install some LED strip on my bimini poles for task lighting when we are eating or cleaning up. It is great for that, but again, it will be direct lighting and way too bright for accent style lighting, even with a dimmer, because one glance towards the light and your blinded temporarily.

Mel, I'm actually contemplating running a second set of LEDs in my tower. This way I can have the bright white for emergencies or cleanup at the dock, and a second set for accent lighting on the water.

I have so many plans, yet my family has so many other uses for my money....

Mel, I'm actually contemplating running a second set of LEDs in my tower. This way I can have the bright white for emergencies or cleanup at the dock, and a second set for accent lighting on the water.

I have so many plans, yet my family has so many other uses for my money....
I completely understand, I have the same problem!

It's Just Money, they make it every day!

Back