• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Transom Underwater Lighting...Hella, Lumitec, or Ocean LED? Is heat an issue for Jet boats while underway?

Rolltidesc13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking for feedback on underwater lighting... My concern is while underway Jetboats have the possibility of not allowing these lights to be fully submerged thus, not allowing the heat sink to cool properly. I am considering Hella (Apelo A3) instead of Lumitec or Ocean LED for this reason. Since Hella is a thermoplastic heat should not be an issue as stated on their website. Has any one experienced heat sink issues (transom lighting) on their jetboats while using Lumitec, Oceans LED, or any other brand? Hella has a 5 year warranty as apposed to 3 year by Lumitec and a 2 year for Oceans LED. Is anyone currently using Hella Apelo underwater lights, opinion? Feedback on any/all underwater lights is appreciated.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have lumitec and the ones that I have are rated to be operated out of the water. They have a heat limit where if they do reach it they will dim. A lot of states don't technically allow you to run them while underway. However, I still do it on lakes where I know there aren't any water cops. Lakes where I know they'll give me a ticket I use them infrequently while underway.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went with Lumitec because they are rated to run out of water.

Rolltidesc13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have lumitec and the ones that I have are rated to be operated out of the water. They have a heat limit where if they do reach it they will dim. A lot of states don't technically allow you to run them while underway. However, I still do it on lakes where I know there aren't any water cops. Lakes where I know they'll give me a ticket I use them infrequently while underway.
South Carolina's only restriction while underway is no Blue lights (Law Enforcement) Red/Green (Navigation) all other colors are legal to have while running. This is why I am going RGBW for the color spectrum. Thank you for the response.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
South Carolina's only restriction while underway is no Blue lights (Law Enforcement) Red/Green (Navigation) all other colors are legal to have while running. This is why I am going RGBW for the color spectrum. Thank you for the response.
I haven't found anything in the NC law other than what SC has. However, they will give you a ticket under a different rule. Fortunately I haven't been popped, but I tend not to go out on the weekends on the lakes where there's a lot of police presence. Something around it being a navigational hazard or some crap like that.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’d call Lumitec and or the other manufacturers and ask them.