• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing Steering Cable -through hull stuck...

Megan T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
316E3FE8-6283-4A08-96FB-19069A716269.jpeg
Is that rusty part of the cable on the lower left the part we should push through??

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yours is prob like my 08 is.. that whole part pushes in.. i still have the cables i removed if u want to see what it looks like.... i can take a pic of it. I also see why you couldnt use the socket... u still had another part to take off where the pump bolts up.... but if u made a tool its just as good... when i get home ill take a pic of my removed steering cable. Some of them have a large amount of sealant on the inside that makes them hard to get out. One person on here had to use a grinder on the inside.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The thread part... the rubber part and the gold part are all part of the cable. The cable pushes in from the outside.

Megan T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The thread part... the rubber part and the gold part are all part of the cable. The cable pushes in from the outside.
Thanks so much @bronze_10. Yes, please send me pictures. We didn’t know what part to start hammering!

Megan T

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To remove mine, I backed the nut off but left it just on the threads. I then ran a washer down the cable end to the nut and used a piece of metal electical conduit (super cheap) over the cable end to the washer/nut to tap it through with a hammer. You just have to break the sealant and that was enough to do the trick for me. Once it moves, remove the washer and nut to pass it through.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/diy-steering-cable-replacement-pump-pulls-cone-lube-check.8059/

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes it looks like sealant.. i had a mountain of sealant on both of mine on the inside. @Seadeals method above is good if they dont break loose.

emolina

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Success too! Had to get midieval on its a$$ - took the grinder to the inside and ground the nut off - not easy but effective none the less. Bigger hammer and pipe was no match. After i ground he nut off - i was able to put vice grips on what was left and loosen it up - then pounded it through.

aaaahhhhh!!!! - what should be a 30 minute job turns into hours. Is it 5 o-clock yet?
Old thread but I’m having the same issue. How did you get a grinder in there? Did you have to move the water box or anything? I even pounded that thing with an air hammer for 10 minutes. will not budge.