• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chap and Scarab going to 600 hp?!

The 215hp motors can be upgraded to the same spec The Supercharged Rotax engines are really impressive performers, at a cost. Supercharger rebuilds every 100 hours, HUGE fuel burn of premium gas, and they are just designed more with replacement parts than quality parts. On the skis, you're replacing wear rings all the time, things like that. My RXP 215 can burn through 18 gallons of fuel in a morning. Is it fast? Yeah, yeah it is. But it's not dramatically faster than an FX HO or a VXR, and it uses a LOT more gas that is more expensive in the process.

Now granted, the difference in price is 5 fold, when you're spending $100k on a boat, premium gas isn't likely a real concern for you. In any case, Seadoo has been using this engine for a few years now in their top end skis, and it is FAST. It's faster than the GP1800, though not by much. I'm rather surprised Yamaha hasn't offered the SVHO engines in a boat yet. It's not something that'd appeal to me my SX230 is plenty fast enough for me), but I can see why some people would want it.

It's worth noting, Seadoo did make a few 520hp boats in its last year or so of making boats. I think some of the 230 Wakes, SP230s, and Speedster 200s came with dual 260hp engines. Never seen one in person, but they're out there. The 215hp engines can be upgraded to make 260hp relatively easily too.

B.R.P.

Read somewhere last year that Bain Capital was looking to sell this company.

Did that ever happen or is this the sweetener?

Last edited:
Your wife is a awesome!!!!

Kate starts screaming when we're approaching 35mph, you would think we were about to sonic boom.

--
I get the look around 35 when the wind starts messing with her hair. Im just good at ignoring her.

I get the look around 35 when the wind starts messing with her hair. Im just good at ignoring her.
Man, what can I say... She's a keeper.

--

I'll take a 300 hp 165 Orange no tower please!

I guess it's fun knowing it exists, but I have no desire to pay for a boat that can go 60+ mph. I would think more innovation in the watersports arena would yield bigger returns for jetboats.

I guess it's fun knowing it exists, but I have no desire to pay for a boat that can go 60+ mph. I would think more innovation in the watersports arena would yield bigger returns for jetboats.

Agree. Most of the time I am running 35 or under. Maybe faster if its smooth glass water.

Agree. Most of the time I am running 35 or under. Maybe faster if its smooth glass water.
I agree, for a family boat anything over 35mph is plenty (IMO). Most wake boats top up around 40, if that, and top speed really means nothing there, it's all about towing and power is premium.

If those ACE engines live up to their hype, I would be very interested in a boat running with a pair, not because of the top speed but rather because those power plants would make it a great tow machine AND a pleasant cruiser.

--

I agree, for a family boat anything over 35mph is plenty (IMO). Most wake boats top up around 40, if that, and top speed really means nothing there, it's all about towing and power is premium.

If those ACE engines live up to their hype, I would be very interested in a boat running with a pair, not because of the top speed but rather because those power plants would make it a great tow machine AND a pleasant cruiser.

--

I will say our Yamaha's cruise at 35 - 40 effortlessly. Doing 40 in a wake boat you are going to be at or near max rpm's.

Around here on the Colorado River the jet boat guys laugh at these boats. One comment was similar to.. your in a muscle car club, but sell the muscle car and buy a 96 honda. Then you ask if you can still be in the club because a car is a car. Going fast is all they care about. 454 with a blower is mid grade. They all hate tower boats because the giant wakes swamp them. My solution is to get both. I love wake sports and family stuff, but also getting scared with you buddies going 70+. Once i finish up some things I'm looking for a Berkely pump boat that goes 70 to 80 mph. I want something like this.
FB_IMG_1533335488023.jpg

A 65 mph 24’ bowridwer would be pretty impressive. Bet it would turn some heads. I think the current 500hp 223’s run 60.

70mph is a bit much. I haven't run into anyone that wouldn't want to know their boat could do 50mph consistently without having to qualify that bimini is up/down, 1 or less people, at sea level, etc.

My exciter 270 did 65 and scared the dung outta me.
One wave at that speed and I would have flipped!
My ex-BIL had a 25' Baja Outlaw that did 70-75. At 65 it was a nice comfy ride other than watching the gas needle drop.
The hulls are just wrong on these jet boats for the speed. He had much more deadrise and all around pointier front. It was made for bigger waves.
It also had a closed bow.
If I didn't have kids, I would be in something similar.
The "go fast" boats are almost more affordable because the kids buy them, realize they can't afford, and then sell to an older guy that can afford it and enjoy it.
They no longer make a 25' Outlaw, but they have a 27'
Baja-Marine-26-Outlaw-39-of-92-1024x683.jpg

That doesn't look huge or anything. It has a barely usable cuddy. My BIL and SIL would stay out at night after drinking and partyin on the water.
If Yamaha makes something like this, it will certainly be fast but not AS fast.
Baja is one of the cheaper brands out there for sure, just using for example the difference between out boats and something actually made for speed.
  • Length: 27' 8"
  • Beam: 8' 4"
  • Height Overall: 73"
  • Weight: 5,242 lbs.
  • Draft: 38"
  • Deadrise at Transom: 24 Deg
  • Fuel: 90 gal
  • Passenger Capacity: 6
  • Sleeping Capacity: 3
Narrow hull, 24 degrees vs our 21?
But also... 90 gallons!

I couldn't find that paticular boat's specs, BUT
http://www.boattest.com/review/baja/1732_278-performance
This baja 278 is the same hull I believe and they have it with a 496 HO motor and at 63 mph it is using 33.6 GPH.
If the 600 hp Scarab uses 40+ GPH it better break 70.
It's just the hull design is all wrong for speed.
http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/
Still wanna know how Skater's would do in a quick run to Bimini....
Outboard power as we have mentioned is far more advanced.

Back