• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral 223 VRX Test

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice looking boat with some great features. Comes in at a lower price than I would have expected! Just 53k with 405hp. Looks like real competition.. 53mph and lateral thrust for docking. Looks like the lateral thrust was a pretty easy implementation and great idea..

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=3222

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This has worked like a charm for me in several occasions. I have had fishing netting, seaweed, and rope try to get cllogged, and whatever has gone past the grate, will get chopped up and spit out in a second. This system works guys. I use my boat in 99% salt water environment.

Shaft protection
is achieved by enclosing the shaft in a stainless tube. Normally we have access ports allowing us to reach our hands down to the shaft to clear weeds. Here, the shaft is protected from ever getting fouled in the first place. Does the impeller get fouled? Sure, same as the competition, but no builder in its right mind allows access to the impeller. That gets cleared with a boost of power to send any weeds on their way. A grate over the intakes prevents larger objects from entering the flow that goes through the thrust ducts. If those get clogged, typically all it takes is shutting down and letting gravity do its thing.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love the looks and that they implemented a stern thruster!

But I want it to be bigger with a bow thruster!

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Its a good looking boat for sure, if not a bit busy.

The shaft being encased in a stainless tube is a great concept that will surely help with fouling ropes and weeds...however, almost every stoppage I saw this year was caused by little pieces of wood that get jammed between the impeller and the liner. The blades tend to slice into the wood and just pin it against the liner causing the boat to loose thrust and rattle. Its a bit unnerving the first time you feel/hear it and most customers thought something was catastrophically wrong! Without the manhole plugs there would be no easy access to remove the debris.... Each case took less than 5 minutes to resolve.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice. Very nice!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice looking boat. I am only interested in the 24' though because with (3) little girls, the head is a must. Chaparral usually has a very nice head compartment and I expect when the 24' comes out that this will be an area where they have a clear advantage over the Yamaha (assuming t he head compartment is similar to their other bowrider models).

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My (internal) complaint after I saw this article this morning was why did they use the pic of him covering the back of the shaft-cover where it attaches to the prop/blades? To me he's covering up the most interesting part of the design of that thing. Has anyone else seen a better pic of it without Steve's grubby mitt in front of it??

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like how Chaparral uses Garmin displays built into the dash on their larger models. I hope they will on the 243. Having a good chart plotter is a big priority for me.

dutchman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I look at the props it seems like they have a double sets of blades behind each other, like a stage 2 pump....
Anyone else sees that? Advantages compared to the Yamaha's?

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Exactly what Zeiss said. Any time I've had something stuck it was a piece of wood or a stick that was small and jammed between the impeller and liner. I think all of these jetboats without any type of clean out are a horrible design. I'm shocked since I consider Chapp a higher end boat. I also would never want rotax power in my boat!!

Otherwise a beautiful boat from Chapp (no surprise there) but if I were to buy new Yam would definitely win my business again with the 2015 242LS. I wonder if Chapp will stick to their MSRP like Yamaha and be at the price point of the 24' boats or if they'll be sold at reduced prices like other boats in their lineup to be comparable in price to Yams 21' boats?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly what Zeiss said. Any time I've had something stuck it was a piece of wood or a stick that was small and jammed between the impeller and liner. I think all of these jetboats without any type of clean out are a horrible design. I'm shocked since I consider Chapp a higher end boat. I also would never want rotax power in my boat!!

Otherwise a beautiful boat from Chapp (no surprise there) but if I were to buy new Yam would definitely win my business again with the 2015 242LS. I wonder if Chapp will stick to their MSRP like Yamaha and be at the price point of the 24' boats or if they'll be sold at reduced prices like other boats in their lineup to be comparable in price to Yams 21' boats?
Like I said earlier. Haven't needed it. As far as Rotax power...been pretty reliable so far. Enjoy the 2015 Yami. I doubt the Chap will loose any business to the Yami's, I really dont think they are competing in the same market. Yamaha is more in tune to compete with Sea Ray, and Regal. Being a jetboat is just a similarity to the Chap.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Chaps are nice, but I don't consider them tops. Id put them in line with Crownline. I'd consider a Bryant or a Cobalt way before a Chap.
That said - Of course they are competing with Yamaha. They're trying to grab some of Yamahas market.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like a nice boat. Are the seat cushions hinged? I definitely want that on my next boat! Chaparral makes nice boats - a buddy of mine has a 99 19 footer that looks basically brand new. Honestly, I don't get all of the stratifying of brand names. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to how the various brands stack up, except at the top and bottom of the ladder. Honestly, who cares? Chap is typically a high quality boat. This one is at a price point that puts it in direct competition with Yamaha. Competition in the segment at this price point is good.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha is more in tune to compete with Sea Ray, and Regal. Being a jetboat is just a similarity to the Chap.
I think this is subjective. IMO, Chaparral competes against the better quality (but not the best) manufacturers. I put them in a category with Regal, Monterey, Sea Ray. Above them, I would put the likes of Formula and Cobalt. The next step down would be Crownline, Four Winns and I think Yamaha would be in this group.

As I have stated many times, I am a HUGE Chaparral fan, but after following their owner's forum for years, I became concerned with quality after a large percentage of new boat owners were appalled by the number of issues with new boats and the poor craftsmanship. Chaparral has a great owner's forum, but they are not fans of the jetboats and I don't think they will be much help to future Chap jetboat owners. Most would like nothing more than for Chap to exit the jetboat market. For me, a large part of the value proposition with Yamaha is the established reliability and the support from this forum. It is #1 reason why I bought a Yamaha jetboat instead of a Chap prop boat. There is just a ton of Yamaha specific knowledge here which means lower cost of ownership and less time having the boat at the dealer during the precious days of summer.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Its gonna take me a while to accept a 1.5 liter making 250 Hp. I will get over it some day.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just read through the detailed test reports. Looks like the Chap is going to be another loud boat. At WOT, they recorded 100db. That's 7 decibels higher than the recorded WOT numbers from the 2013 SX240. 7 db is a lot. Putting that in terms of stereo sound - it takes 4 times as much power to get 6 db more sound. From 4500rpm on up it is 3 db louder than the previous generation SX240 is at WOT and as much as 9 db louder at any given rpm. That's really a shame. I also just noticed that it appears to be fully 2 seconds slower to 30 mph than an SX240. In fact, it's 6.1 time is a hair slower than that of an SX210. What's up with that?

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A). While a good source of basic info on the boats they review, all should remember that Boattest is not providing unbiased reviews. Think of these as not so much reviews as "advertorials." Some of the comments in this written piece are downright cringeworthy.

B). I am intrigued by this feature on the Chap: "Ski Mode – Allows for a controlled launch with up to 3 pre-set acceleration curves. Once underway it accurately maintains tow speed with a GPS based controller." While waterskiing seems a bit old fashioned vs wake boarding and surfing, my family loves to ski. I am sure I am not the only jetboater that finds launch much more tricky than with a "just bury it" stern drive launch when getting skiers up...especially young skiers.

Has anyone used this? Does it work? Does Perfect Pass have a similar feature?

The Chap lines do appeal to me. I will stick with my Yammie powerplants, however.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A). While a good source of basic info on the boats they review, all should remember that Boattest is not providing unbiased reviews. Think of these as not so much reviews as "advertorials." Some of the comments in this written piece are downright cringeworthy.
You mean like the 38 millimeter thick vinyl with a 10 millimeter top coat? That's some thick vinyl!