• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral 223 VRX Test

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You know its unfortunate that these companies have to go through a dealer network ......................... They would be able to find issues, and solutions faster. At the same time remove the huge markup so that the retailers can pay commissions. Sad.

@MikeyL I'm rooting for the Falcons today. Steven Jackson is on my fantasy team!
@ScarabMike : I always did like you ! :thumbsup:[flag]:winkingthumbsup"
LOL !~ Many Thanks - We'll need it - Mikey Lulejian - On a slightly warming up Lake Oconee, GA

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't really understand why it would be necessary or beneficial to separate the jet boats from the I/Os and the inboards. They're all boats. Setting them aside would tend to further the misperception that these are not "real" boats, which won't help to sell them. I say line up all of the boats next to eachother and sell the one that makes the most sense for the customer. That said, I agree that it's unfortunate that the manufacturers HAVE to go through a dealership network. Direct sales would likely be more effective and less costly. That could also eliminate lack of product knowledge and bias from the sales equation.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am hoping the Chaparral hits a homerun, but it is too early to see how well they are going to do. I am not sure how much room exists in the market for a number of different jetboat manufacturers. Right now, the pie is only so big and growth will require a fair number of I/O owners to move over to jetboats. Many I/O owners have a lot of preconceived notions that aren't going to change (i.e., not real boats, fuel economy, etc.).

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Excellent points you make, @SCSTWG ........ and all I'ld like to add is that a QUALITY, informed, and "caring" dealer can significantly help ALTER those ill-preconceived notions (about jet-powered boats). That's something that'll probably NEVER happen on Lake Oconee. :devilhorns:

The opposite is someone like Randy Morris of Wedowee Marine :winkingthumbsup" (Lake Wedowee, Wedowee, AL) who "guided" Barbie and me through all of the same items. And we are so happy he did @ ! We also had come from the I/O and outboard schools. Now are ALL IN on a Quality Jet Boat.

Again, 'jes my 2 cents worth. That a QUALITY dealer can help jet boat novices through all of the crack, crannies and pre-conceived ideas that a boat buyer walks into a dealership with.

Hey ! Wishing everyone just a splendid upcoming week ahead @! Mikey Lulejian - Livin' the Dream on beautiful Lake Oconee, GA

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like a sweet boat. My thoughts (not in priority order)

I like:
  1. The tower
  2. The enclosed shaft
  3. The closed loop cooling
  4. The stereo (Yamaha does need to offer options)
  5. Lateral thrust directors look interesting
Don't Like:
  1. Room in the bow
  2. Lack of engine bay noise insulation (I just saw the photo and thought...looks noisy...the reading confirmed it)
  3. Lack of clean out hatches

Overall, the competition will be good, and this boat steps it up in some interesting areas! Not sure if I'm ready to give up Yamaha powerplant reliability....

Hydrashok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just watched the boattest review on it. I think for their first twin engine boat it has some very nice features. I agree it needs a cleanout but at the same time that protected shaft is a great idea! I like the heat exchanger and closed system cooling too. I see Yamaha making some very nice advancements too so competition is a good thing!

Chas_Chap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Its a good looking boat for sure, if not a bit busy.

The shaft being encased in a stainless tube is a great concept that will surely help with fouling ropes and weeds...however, almost every stoppage I saw this year was caused by little pieces of wood that get jammed between the impeller and the liner. The blades tend to slice into the wood and just pin it against the liner causing the boat to loose thrust and rattle. Its a bit unnerving the first time you feel/hear it and most customers thought something was catastrophically wrong! Without the manhole plugs there would be no easy access to remove the debris.... Each case took less than 5 minutes to resolve.
Having this problem now. RPMs are running about 200 different consistently at higher speeds. Can you walk me through clearing out the debris? I'm hoping that's what's causing the louder rev and rattling. Thank you.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Nice looking boat with some great features. Comes in at a lower price than I would have expected! Just 53k with 405hp. Looks like real competition.. 53mph and lateral thrust for docking. Looks like the lateral thrust was a pretty easy implementation and great idea..

Looks really nice
Only one complaint and that is with 80 more hp than my boat i wished for more speed! It is a foot longer too though.
Really cool boat.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I really like how Chaparral uses Garmin displays built into the dash on their larger models. I hope they will on the 243. Having a good chart plotter is a big priority for me.
First one to build you a 28' cruiser with head and sleeping quarters prolly gets your money.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If I look at the props it seems like they have a double sets of blades behind each other, like a stage 2 pump....
Anyone else sees that? Advantages compared to the Yamaha's?
I guess i am not seeing it. If so that would be awesome. It is a 159mm pump so it is more capable than the 200 hp motors and is more comparable to the svho pump of yamaha.