• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral 223 VRX Test

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You mean like the 38 millimeter thick vinyl with a 10 millimeter top coat? That's some thick vinyl!
Yes! That was one of 'em. :D

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to like this boat. I'm hoping there's some error relative to the sound level and acceleration. Granted, 0-30 in 6 seconds is not unreasonable, but it's hard to get past the notion that a 405 horsepower boat doesn't have a significantly faster holeshot than my 22o horsepower one. The sound level is the worst part, though. Whatever boat I get next is going to need to be significantly quieter than my SX210 - that's a spousal requirement. The new 240 and 242 seem like they may fit that bill (though I've not yet seen test numbers), but this Chaparral could be out of the running on noise level alone.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good catch on the noise level. Like you, I want to like this boat ( or the new 24' Chap), but in my next boat I would want something significantly quieter than my current AR240. Fortuantely my wife has no boating experience and doesn't really think it is loud because she has nothing to compare it to. Does @ScarabMike have any thoughts on the noise level in his Scarab with the Rotax compared to a comparable Yamaha? I don't recall anyone saying that the Scarab was louder than a Yamaha. If so, that would be an issue because all but the new 21015 14' Yamaha's are plenty loud.

camsbored

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
A). While a good source of basic info on the boats they review, all should remember that Boattest is not providing unbiased reviews. Think of these as not so much reviews as "advertorials."
I can count the number of times I've read/heard them say anything negative about a boat on one hand. All of their reviews tend to point out the positive and side-step negatives. I just think of them as walk-throughs rather than reviews.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
B). I am intrigued by this feature on the Chap: "Ski Mode – Allows for a controlled launch with up to 3 pre-set acceleration curves. Once underway it accurately maintains tow speed with a GPS based controller." While waterskiing seems a bit old fashioned vs wake boarding and surfing, my family loves to ski. I am sure I am not the only jetboater that finds launch much more tricky than with a "just bury it" stern drive launch when getting skiers up...especially young skiers.
Has anyone used this? Does it work? Does Perfect Pass have a similar feature?
"Ski Mode" is a STANDARD engineered feature of BRP powerplants. It has been on their IBR skiis for at least 4 years. SO this is nothing new for them. Same power plant, same engineering, at least with the software. And unlike the unkind coments herein, we have been LOYAL SeaDoo riders for 5 years now, with nothing but Enjoyment and trouble-free operation.,
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can count the number of times I've read/heard them say anything negative about a boat on one hand. All of their reviews tend to point out the positive and side-step negatives. I just think of them as walk-throughs rather than reviews.
I agree. I just wish there were more options out there for comprehensive reviews of boats online, just seems that there is such a small number of places to get new model boat info. Nothing at all like cars/trucks have...but maybe I'm just missing some of the others out there?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree. I just wish there were more options out there for comprehensive reviews of boats online, just seems that there is such a small number of places to get new model boat info. Nothing at all like cars/trucks have...but maybe I'm just missing some of the others out there?

Small note here: From talking to dealers, and other things I have observed, and I may be wrong, but it certainly APPEARS that in Chaparral's case there is a distinct LACK OF INTEREST in the new VRX line-up. Maybe next year will bring more interest, since the VRX line-up will be available when the boating Selling season begins - but it will require the Chap dealership line-up to get WAY more "on board." And this kinda looks doubtful. Time will tell. Y'all enjoy a great day, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know when SeaDoo was making Jet Boats, there were constant complaints about the overall durability, maintenance cost and the way those things guzzled fuel. Now that those Rotax engines are being used in a wider array of boats, it'll be interesting to see how that experience changes.

For me, I have about 125 hours on my boat in three seasons. I just got it out of the shop as the shower pump died on it and I was too lazy to look at it and fix it (when I have YES on it anyway). While it was in there, I asked them to pull the codes off the engines and there was a low-oil pressure on one engine at 16 hours and the other at 17 hours, and nothing since. I change the oil and plugs myself and those things just run and run.

When up on Lake Tahoe boating and mostly cruising around, it also averages about 5 GPH...which is pretty good for that size of boat at that elevation. Yes, when down in the lowlands pulling boarders, they drink more fuel, but that's to be expected.

I too agree with previous posters, that there have been many times it's been nice to be able to reach down in the ports and feel the impellers for obstructions. I can't imagine a jet boat without those man holes.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good catch on the noise level. Like you, I want to like this boat ( or the new 24' Chap), but in my next boat I would want something significantly quieter than my current AR240. Fortuantely my wife has no boating experience and doesn't really think it is loud because she has nothing to compare it to. Does @ScarabMike have any thoughts on the noise level in his Scarab with the Rotax compared to a comparable Yamaha? I don't recall anyone saying that the Scarab was louder than a Yamaha. If so, that would be an issue because all but the new 21015 14' Yamaha's are plenty loud.
I haven't been able to compare a single engine Yamaha. Im hoping to make one of these "get together" meets soon, and we can really dig into the differences of both products. I can tell you that during the initial break in period, the boat was loud compared to my stern drive Sea Ray. Once the hours got close to the 10 hour break in, it got noticeably quieter. Now with that said, this Rotax is catalized, and as in any new exhaust will get quieter as the internals of that catalytic converter heat up, and burn to what it normally will be when operating. Just like a vehicle, that catalytic converter will make that engine a ton quieter. Ive already noticed a huge difference in sound. Im thinking these boats are still so new, that the Chap that Boat Test was reviewing still had some break in to do on its Cats.

Next time I get out on the water, I can take a decibel reading using an app called "Decibel 10th". Ill keep you guys in the loop.

I know when SeaDoo was making Jet Boats, there were constant complaints about the overall durability, maintenance cost and the way those things guzzled fuel. Now that those Rotax engines are being used in a wider array of boats, it'll be interesting to see how that experience changes.

For me, I have about 125 hours on my boat in three seasons. I just got it out of the shop as the shower pump died on it and I was too lazy to look at it and fix it (when I have YES on it anyway). While it was in there, I asked them to pull the codes off the engines and there was a low-oil pressure on one engine at 16 hours and the other at 17 hours, and nothing since. I change the oil and plugs myself and those things just run and run.

When up on Lake Tahoe boating and mostly cruising around, it also averages about 5 GPH...which is pretty good for that size of boat at that elevation. Yes, when down in the lowlands pulling boarders, they drink more fuel, but that's to be expected.

I too agree with previous posters, that there have been many times it's been nice to be able to reach down in the ports and feel the impellers for obstructions. I can't imagine a jet boat without those man holes.
This engine has been reconfigured from what I can tell. Even the maintenance points have changed (25hr initial oil chage from 10, and 250 hours for service from 100). It even looks a little different than its 255hp predecessor like is in the Seadoo 210SP. Like I have said in the past on here 100000000 times, its still too early to judge the new Rotax engines until we have got some hours on them. I understand the past history, but companies eventually get it right. Look at KIA.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Small note here: From talking to dealers, and other things I have observed, and I may be wrong, but it certainly APPEARS that in Chaparral's case there is a distinct LACK OF INTEREST in the new VRX line-up. Maybe next year will bring more interest, since the VRX line-up will be available when the boating Selling season begins - but it will require the Chap dealership line-up to get WAY more "on board." And this kinda looks doubtful. Time will tell. Y'all enjoy a great day, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Very true Mikey. Most Chap dealers and Chap owners have been bashing jetboats for quite some time - now they find themselves with a jetboat lineup that they need to sell.

There happens to be a Chaparral/Moomba dealer right next to my Yamaha dealer. I go in there sometimes cause they have an AWESOME selection of wakeboards and surfboards. This is a dealer that been knocking jetboats forever - to the point where they made signs a couple of years ago calling jetboats toys and not real boats. So now they have jetboats on the sales floor. So while in there checking out the boards, I asked the sales staff how the new jetboats are doing. Salesman looks at me and replies "Not well at all. And not going to get any better as long as we're positioned right next to Yamaha". So I ask why. He says "Cause Chap customers don't want jetboats. If you want a real boat, then I can show you a Chaparral, if you want the best jetboat, then I'll send you next door".
His words - not mine!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I doubt that particular dealer will have much success selling the jets, then! Talk about a defeatist attitude. I would think it could be the easiest thing in the world t capitalize on the Chaparral name to sell their boat against the Yamaha. I also find it odd that apparently the lack of an exposed prop somehow makes a jet propelled boat something other than a "real" boat in the minds of some.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I couldn't agree more. A boat is a boat regardless of propulsion. I happen to like all kinds of boats - center consoles, jetboats, I/O's, inboards, even those Ranger Tugs. A boat is a boat.

I was gassing up next to new MasterCraft ProStar 1 day. My 212x was considerably larger than his MC. He looks at me and says "I didn't know jet skis came so big". I replied "I didn't know MasterCrafts came so small".
He chuckled and comes back with "Well put". And proceeds to come over and check the Yamaha out.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I absolutely love the Ranger Tugs!!! I almost got a 21ft from the boat show. 3cyl diesel engine, and a bow thruster, cabin, a/c, potty, and all enclosed in case of weather.

I couldn't agree more. A boat is a boat regardless of propulsion. I happen to like all kinds of boats - center consoles, jetboats, I/O's, inboards, even those Ranger Tugs. A boat is a boat.

I was gassing up next to new MasterCraft ProStar 1 day. My 212x was considerably larger than his MC. He looks at me and says "I didn't know jet skis came so big". I replied "I didn't know MasterCrafts came so small".
He chuckled and comes back with "Well put". And proceeds to come over and check the Yamaha out.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I absolutely love the Ranger Tugs!!! I almost got a 21ft from the boat show. 3cyl diesel engine, and a bow thruster, cabin, a/c, potty, and all enclosed in case of weather.
Ha! My brother wanted that same exact boat for use in the sound. He loved that thing. But the 10mph cruising speed isn't going to cut it out there. Now he's shopping for a pilot house.
The Ranger Tugs are way cool. I see 1 out on the lake every once in a while. The Nordic Tugs are cooler.

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The new 240 and 242 seem like they may fit that bill (though I've not yet seen test numbers), but this Chaparral could be out of the running on noise level alone.
from Boats.com:
http://features.boats.com/boat-content/2014/08/2015-yamaha-240-series-ultra-quiet-surefooted-tracking/
Here’s a comparison of the last Yamaha 240 model I tested against the preproduction 2015 AR240 I ran this August: At 2400 rpm (no-wake speed) I recorded 75 dBA for the old model, compared to 66 dBA for the 2015 model. Ramping the engines up to 5500 rpm (31 mph) produced 92 dBA and 88 dBA for the old and new models, respectively. Lastly, at 6500 rpm (40 mph), the old model produced 97 dBA, while the new boat came in at 92 dBA. On the logarithmic decibel scale, a three-decibel change is roughly twice as loud, or half as quiet, as the point of comparison. In layman’s terms, new Yamaha 240 boats are dramatically quieter than the previous models.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are preparing to do a comparison video on our new AR240 vs our 2014 212X. We will also post db level comparisons from that shoot when we have them.

The Chaparral dealers need to have the jet boats taken from them like the Yamaha's were taken from many motorcycle dealers. The old dog way of thinking is going to kill any chance of becoming successful selling jets against the near 20 year jet veteran and leader Yamaha.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We are preparing to do a comparison video on our new AR240 vs our 2014 212X. We will also post db level comparisons from that shoot when we have them.

The Chaparral dealers need to have the jet boats taken from them like the Yamaha's were taken from many motorcycle dealers. The old dog way of thinking is going to kill any chance of becoming successful selling jets against the near 20 year jet veteran and leader Yamaha.
Truer words were never spoken. It is APPALLING to see a QUALITY Georgia manufacturing company, Chaparral, with dealers like they have on Lake Oconee (in Georgia !), lose business because these dealers won't even begin to deal in the new line-up. Appaling. I sincerely hope Chaparral decides to do something about this, as our entire industry DEPENDS on Quality Competition. Yamaha is winning PARTLY because of Dumb-A** competitors like Chaparral dealers. And in the long run, we too as Yamaha owners, and future buyers, lose because of this type of thinking (or lack thereof).

OK . I am done now. 'Jes returned from Church, and now will watch our beloved Falcons play (and hopefully win).
Mikey Lulejian - Where it was 38 degrees here on Lake Oconee, GA this am !!!!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know its unfortunate that these companies have to go through a dealer network to sell their products. Tesla has proved that as inefficient, but at the same time, been banned from states like NJ because of dealerships with their hand in politician's pockets.

Both Chap, Scarb, and Glastron would do so much better if they could direct sell and provide service. They would be able to find issues, and solutions faster. At the same time remove the huge markup so that the retailers can pay commissions. Sad.

@MikeyL Im rooting for the Falcons today. Steven Jackson is on my fantasy team!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think a savvy business guy that is a Yamaha only dealer, might strike a deal with other jet boat manufacturers for their dealership representation and become a "jet boat" only dealer! They are other animals than the other dealers are used to, but they are also a better product in many ways. The quality will certainly rise in all the models when the representation puts the other lines on equal footing.