• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral VRX 2021 Models

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Received our 2021 VRX 203 in July. Has 300HP supercharged BRP Rotax single engine.
Several extra features my former Seadoo 180SE 255HP did not have . On the other hand cost a lot more and uses much more fuel.
Enjoying it though. The easy access from swim platform to the boat was a key feature to accommodate my spouse.
Was hoping to purchase a shop manual but told that is not possible.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a really nice looking boat you have there. ;)

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I meant to attach these photos with the original post but they didn't take.
That's a beauty!

Question: Does it still have Chaparral branding or does it only have VRX labelling?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's a beauty!

Question: Does it still have Chaparral branding or does it only have VRX labelling?
That's is a good question. It appears no wording of Chaparral anywhere on the boat. I believe the only hint is their signature where I pointed to in the picture below. I'm surprised as there has not been any official (yet).

1602850025385.png

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a nice looking boat and Suburban you've got. :thumbsup:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's is a good question. It appears no wording of Chaparral anywhere on the boat. I believe the only hint is their signature where I pointed to in the picture below. I'm surprised as there has not been any official (yet).

View attachment 135477
Thanks for checking and replying.

I love the Chap basic design and look and always have. Each Chap I've been on was also obviously a quality build.

Many of us watched closely when Chap introduced their jet powered line. The products were great, which was not a surprise and very positive to most jetboat fans. While I cannot speak for others on this, I was also hoping the large community of Chap fans, dealers, and owners would embrace the new jetboat line.

Unfortunately, it appears many did not. There is an obvious move by Chap to reposition their jetboat lineup to it's own brand, VRX. This is a tried-and-true method - another recent example is Fiat-Chrysler removing the "Dodge" from their "Dodge Ram" truck line and elevating "Ram" as their truck brand.

The big question: Is this rebranding to VRX from Chap in preparation to sell the line to another company or just a marketing move to strengthen their jetboat brand?

Anyone have any guesses?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

I love the Chap basic design and look and always have. Each Chap I've been on was also obviously a quality build.

Many of us watched closely when Chap introduced their jet powered line. The products were great, which was not a surprise and very positive to most jetboat fans. While I cannot speak for others on this, I was also hoping the large community of Chap fans, dealers, and owners would embrace the new jetboat line.

Unfortunately, it appears many did not. There is an obvious move by Chap to reposition their jetboat lineup to it's own brand, VRX. This is a tried-and-true method - another recent example is Fiat-Chrysler removing the "Dodge" from their "Dodge Ram" truck line and elevating "Ram" as their truck brand.

The big question: Is this rebranding to VRX from Chap in preparation to sell the line to another company or just a marketing move to strengthen their jetboat brand?

Anyone have any guesses?
I've recently been in touch with a person who very high up in the organization. He doubts Chap will drop the line but they're waiting to see what happens post COVID. There is a proposal to upper management to have any SeaDoo dealer do any Rotax engine work along with warranty issues. The boat portion would be Chaparral's responsibility. This has not yet ben approved but should be welcoming by most as there are several SeaDoo shops across the country. I have one right down the road which would be a big help.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Received our 2021 VRX 203 in July. Has 300HP supercharged BRP Rotax single engine.
Several extra features my former Seadoo 180SE 255HP did not have . On the other hand cost a lot more and uses much more fuel.
Enjoying it though. The easy access from swim platform to the boat was a key feature to accommodate my spouse.
Was hoping to purchase a shop manual but told that is not possible.
Congrats! Great looking boat! I’ve always like the VRX/Vortex jet line from Chap! Very sharp looking with quality throughout. Not cheap, but built right! Enjoy!!

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

Anyone have any guesses?
Vortex would be the "brand", while VR, & VRX would be the models.
VRX are mainly equipped with the towers, while the VR's are not. When I ordered my VR, I had the option to add all the features of the VRX to my VR build, including the Viper help control. That has since changed and many of the feature upgrades for the VRX are not avail to add to the VR.
You can call; Crowley marine as they have service manuals up to the 250, although maybe there is not a consumer manual above the 250, they may be able to say for sure.

0460660 Factory Service Manual - Johnson/Evinrude, OMC | Crowley Marine

https://vortexboats.com/Vortex-Boats.php

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's a beauty!

The branding on the hull is all Vortex, however it has the Chaparral logo symbol on the carpet and steering wheel. I hope the VRX line continues. These boats are higher end than the competition. I hope they expand their authorized repair facilities to SeaDoo repair shops/ It will reduce my travel for repair time from 55 - to 5 minutes.

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've recently been in touch with a person who very high up in the organization. He doubts Chap will drop the line but they're waiting to see what happens post COVID. There is a proposal to upper management to have any SeaDoo dealer do any Rotax engine work along with warranty issues. The boat portion would be Chaparral's responsibility. This has not yet ben approved but should be welcoming by most as there are several SeaDoo shops across the country. I have one right down the road which would be a big help.
Yes - My SeaDoo shop is 5 minutes away, but the Vortex one is an hour away. The existing Seadoo & Vortex software diagnostic tools are different.

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Does anyone know how to put my 2021 Rotax 300 ACE engine into Drown Mode? It does not have the exposed throttle crank to allow placing it wide open for drown mode as Rotaxes used to have. The throttle crank seems to be totally closed with only external wiring. The manual does not explain how to implement drown mode.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Fly by wire throttle I guess you are seeing. Are you wanting crank without spark for purposes of oil changes? On my Chapp wide open throttle, like you do on the PWC's, is null as you are not able to crank without not being in neutral.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes - My SeaDoo shop is 5 minutes away, but the Vortex one is an hour away. The existing Seadoo & Vortex software diagnostic tools are different.
My understanding is BUDS will work on SeaDoo/BRP/Rotax engines. Are you sure?

I have the CanDoo software that does work with many different engines but not as good as BUDS.

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Fly by wire throttle I guess you are seeing. Are you wanting crank without spark for purposes of oil changes? On my Chapp wide open throttle, like you do on the PWC's, is null as you are not able to crank without not being in neutral.
All I know is what BRP Customer Service told me when I checked into it (I wanted to use my local Seadoo shop to troubleshoot a problem). BRP said only the Chaparral repair shops would have the software that will work on my Chaparral 300 Rotax and it is not for sale to others. If the Seadoo shops could buy it, it would be worthwhile as many of us former Seadoo owners are migrating to Chaparral, Glastron, Scarab. I don't know the Glastron, Scarab stories.

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Oh oh - looks like I replied to Dean's post with the message below. Sorry Dean & Chris.

Yes my throttle is fly by wire. Need to enter Drown Mode to cycle the engine after squirting storage oil into the cylinders. I ended up cranking the engine before re-attaching the plug wires - however I assume fuel still squirted into the cylinders which may totally defeat the purpose of oiling the cylinders. I wish to do it right next fall. I may have been better off to do nothing - adding storage oil may be overkill for a 6 month storage??

All I know is what BRP Customer Service told me when I checked into it (I wanted to use my local Seadoo shop to troubleshoot a problem). BRP said only the Chaparral repair shops would have the software that will work on my Chaparral 300 Rotax and it is not for sale to others. If the Seadoo shops could buy it, it would be worthwhile as many of us former Seadoo owners are migrating to Chaparral, Glastron, Scarab. I don't know the Glastron, Scarab stories.
rplied

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Oh oh - looks like I replied to Dean's post with the message below. Sorry Dean & Chris.

Yes my throttle is fly by wire. Need to enter Drown Mode to cycle the engine after squirting storage oil into the cylinders. I ended up cranking the engine before re-attaching the plug wires - however I assume fuel still squirted into the cylinders which may totally defeat the purpose of oiling the cylinders. I wish to do it right next fall. I may have been better off to do nothing - adding storage oil may be overkill for a 6 month storage??

rplied
You could pull the plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders through the plug openings. I’ve seen many people do that. Most people fog their Yamaha engines through the intake while the engine is idling which seems like it would burn off most of the fogging oil before it shuts down. That’s probably how my dealer fogged my new Yamaha for this winter. They said if we had nice days we could take her out which would burn off the fogging oil. He said just run after leaving the water for 15 seconds to blow out the water and start every month or so to prevent any condensation from building in the cylinders.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The process for drown mode is used on the PWC's by holding the throttle at WOT, this will prevent the firing, but will allow it to crank. Since the boat will not even crank unless it's in the neutral position, just pull all the plugs off of the COP's and it will dry crank.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Presently SeaDoo is not allowed to work on Chaparral boats. This is what's trying to be changed. If/when agreed too, SeaDoo will be allowed to work on the BRP engine repairs (including warrantee repair) and Chap will be responsible for boat work.