• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Charging system is odd...

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy any thoughts? Almost forgot about you.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It can take quite a bit of run time at planing speeds before the stators can recharge the battery. If you have a DVSR, then the start battery has to reach 13.7 volts before it will combine and begin to recharge the house battery. If you are only making 15-30 minute runs between starts, I would not be surprised if the start battery has not recharged enough to activate the DVSR. Most models have an LED on it to show when it is active.

I would start by checking both batteries to rule them out. Also, you can close the emergency parallel switch to let both batteries charge while underway. Just be warned, before they start to charge, they will level out. The higher voltage battery will "send" voltage to the lower until they are both the same. If your house battery is bad, all you did here was lower your start battery. The little charge that you would gain across both batteries would not make this worthwhile in a short run.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It can take quite a bit of run time at planing speeds before the stators can recharge the battery. If you have a DVSR, then the start battery has to reach 13.7 volts before it will combine and begin to recharge the house battery. If you are only making 15-30 minute runs between starts, I would not be surprised if the start battery has not recharged enough to activate the DVSR. Most models have an LED on it to show when it is active.

I would start by checking both batteries to rule them out. Also, you can close the emergency parallel switch to let both batteries charge while underway. Just be warned, before they start to charge, they will level out. The higher voltage battery will "send" voltage to the lower until they are both the same. If your house battery is bad, all you did here was lower your start battery. The little charge that you would gain across both batteries would not make this worthwhile in a short run.
So based on your explanation if I start the boat and the start battery is at 12.8v, the battery has to get to 13.7v before the house battery starts to charge.

Assuming the house battery is fine, shouldn't the electronics run off the engines and not the house battery? This is what I am trying to understand.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The system really does not put off enough to run all electronics off the motor. You have to recoup the loss from starting the motors and meet the DVSR threshold to get to the house battery. Until that point all items are being ran off the house and then once the start meets its required voltage will it replenish the house. Most people will not run enough to fully recharge the start and house battery in a day. The stereo and any extra items usually win that battle and why most people have smart on board chargers.

Also your batteries only being a maintainer may not be enough to cycle the batteries through different stages needed to exercise and charge the batteries properly. A formal smart charger for your battery type will do this by having the right amp output/and channels to be able to bulk load and keep the batteries properly.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, this clears up most of my issues. I am using the Battery Tender dual bank.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your right, the 240's charging system is very odd. My battery went flat and with the voltage read out not working correctly I suspect my wirings all wrong as well as the DVSR.

Richard Lajoie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
DSC_5174[1].JPG DSC_5174[1].JPG I had a similar issue with my 2015 242 Limited S. For the last year I have had a charging issue, batteries would never maintain a charge while under way, so I would have to charge them after every weekend. I've had voltage as low as 6 volts on the starter battery. I took it to the dealer and found that the DVSR wire was connected to the wrong battery. It was on the starter battery, they moved it to the house battery and for the last two weekends everything is working and charging. I've also added a $29 solar battery charger to help maintain them while it sits in my yard.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That wire shouldn't make a difference as the ground wires are connected together between the house and start batteries. My guess would be that they had it on the positive connection and not the ground. Also make sure there is a cable connecting the 2 battery grounds together. Your house battery should be a deep cycle, they both look like start batteries.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
House batteries are usually deep cycle and they take linger to charge and should be maintained separately.
The boat charging might work OK for minor discharge, but for a battery deeply discharged it will take a while to recharge.
Deep cycle discharge slowly, charge slowly.
If the battery was discharged more than 50% it has been weakened a little.
Many deep cycle combo batteries are not really deep cycle, but slightly modified starting batteries.
If it is a start / deep cycle it is more start than deep.
If you discharge your battery often then a 12 volt golf cart battery would be a good choice it it will fit.
The pictures I have seen have two starting batteries and thus the problem (if I am correct as to the battery types.
Change the house battery and hold down to a 12 volt golf cart battery or if you have room two 6 volt golf cart batteries (in series) for even better power.
This is an expensive, but good choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Trojan-T-1275-150Ah-Flooded-Battery/dp/B00NY7MI56
Perhaps two 6 volt batteries would be better of you have room.

Last edited: