• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine and N2K comm error(fixed !!!!!)

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a new stereo today and fired up the boat afterwards and I am getting check engine displayed on both tachs. Makes no difference if I run port, starboard or both. It also flashes N2K comm error sometimes. Checked all the harness connections to see if I pulled one loose. What is the common point between the two motors? I thought they were both separate.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
N2K I beleive is for Nema 2000, a control language/network that reads and displays mulitple types of data. I would check your owners manual/maintainance manual for any leads otherwise maybe try disconnecting your stereo to see if it goes away just to trouble shoot it.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
See if maybe you pulled the gps antenna wires loose. I recall the gps antenna being the culprit for that error at least once on the other board, and that wire seems rather delicate under the helm. I believe it is on that bus and if anything along the bus is disconnected I think it will throw an error as the signal is supposed to be terminated according to specifications.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@steined is right. The tacos and speedometer are connected to the GPS and the engines by a communications bus that needs to be properly terminated with a resistor block. Break anywhere in the chain and you get that error.

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@steined is right. The tacos and speedometer are connected to the GPS and the engines by a communications bus that needs to be properly terminated with a resistor block. Break anywhere in the chain and you get that error.
I do not beleive the SX and AR210 boats have GPS speed. Mine has a paddle wheel at the rear. I ran the diagnostics on the gauges and everything came back normal.
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the YDS software and cable? Dealer wants $115 to hook it up and read the codes.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe try disconnecting your ground to battery and see if it resets.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would do both. What little effort it takes, it would be worth a try.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The common point between the engines is that communications bus. Basically a network (even if yours doesn't have a GPS in the network).

I would disconnect the battery as suggested. When that doesn't work (and I don't think it will), where did you hook up the radio? Pics?

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The common point between the engines is that communications bus. Basically a network (even if yours doesn't have a GPS in the network).

I would disconnect the battery as suggested. When that doesn't work (and I don't think it will), where did you hook up the radio? Pics?
I replaced the stock head unit and used the original wire harness, spliced of course.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Odd because the radio is not hooked to the bus.

I would unplug and re plug along the bus at the helm. You must have knocked something along there somewhere, I would think.

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Odd because the radio is not hooked to the bus.

I would unplug and re plug along the bus at the helm. You must have knocked something along there somewhere, I would think.
i did this. i think i must have pulled a wire loose from a connector.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Must be. Only thing I can think of.

Didn't do anything in the engine compartment did you?

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I got that error last year. It seems to be a very general error and the dealer could not figure out what was causing it. They had it for over a month and yamaha was not much help diagnosing it either. The dealer replaced the wiring harness that connects the ECUs to the helm but that didnt fix it. Yamaha eventually let them replace both ECUs and both tachometers in the helm and covered the cost. That fixed it but it woild have cost me 4k if yamaha hadn't stepped up. I hope your problem doesn't turn into what mine did.

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got that error last year. It seems to be a very general error and the dealer could not figure out what was causing it. They had it for over a month and yamaha was not much help diagnosing it either. The dealer replaced the wiring harness that connects the ECUs to the helm but that didnt fix it. Yamaha eventually let them replace both ECUs and both tachometers in the helm and covered the cost. That fixed it but it woild have cost me 4k if yamaha hadn't stepped up. I hope your problem doesn't turn into what mine did.
I hope not, mine just went out of warranty last month.:mad:

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
MI e was a few months out of warranty when it happened. Yamaha still covered it.
Good to know. Do you mind if mine goes that route using your problem/case as a reference?