• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clarion CMD6 head-unit - 6 speakers on internal amp

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, guys and girls... the new 212x isn't even in my garage yet and I'm thinking about the sound system.

Might anyone here have insight into how the 6 Polk Audio coaxial speakers are wired to the Clarion head-unit?

I have confirmed the head-unit in the 2015 212x is the (discontinued) Clarion CMD6 -- 6 preamp outputs, but only 4 channels available from it's own internal amplifier. To my knowledge, there is no external amplifier installed in the boat from the factory. So, the more specific question is - what method/technique did Yamaha use to wire the six (6) Polk Audio speakers to these 4 channels?

Any help/insight is much appreciated!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most likely two pairs are wired in parallel. This halves the ohm rating of the load.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Halves the ohm rating, but not the output to the speakers, correct?

Man, I'm hoping they're in parallel - in the (likely) event I add an external amp. Having them wired in series would pull me in the direction of rewiring the speakers - which would really suck.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The internal amplifier of a HU like the CMD6 has very little in common with that of an external amplifier. The HU uses a BTL chip amp. Essentially it is already bridged.
You will not get a premium in power as you halve the impedance (for a 2-ohm load) by running two 4-ohms speakers in parallel as you would with an external amplifier, and this places the HU in an unstable position. In the 2-ohm mode, when it clips, it clips especially hard.
So if factory did it correctly those two speakers per channel would be in series. That would be the good news.....and you know the rest.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone with a service manual could likely answer this from the wiring diagrams.

When you get your boat you could use an ohm meter to check.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So, which unit is in the 2013 242 Limited S? I was thinking it was the CMD-8, but now I'm wondering if it is the CMD-6. Anyone know for sure?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The plan is to add a Clarion 6-channel external amp and boost/clean-up the sound - using all 6 pre-amp outputs from the CMD6 and the six Polk Audio coaxial speakers (one per channel). After that, if I'm missing a bass thump, I can always switch the amp to 2-channel mode and use 2 of the pre-amp outputs to run a second amp for a subwoofer... at a later date.

Still hoping I don't have to pull/run new speaker wire to any great extent... but there are greater evils in the world.

Thanks for the feedback.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@SleepyJean, did you figure out how the speakers are wired and if you can simply add a 6 channel amp with rewriting? I am planning to improve my tunes next but want to keep it simple and see how my stock HU and speakers sound with and amp added.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, which unit is in the 2013 242 Limited S? I was thinking it was the CMD-8, but now I'm wondering if it is the CMD-6. Anyone know for sure?
Mine (and a bunch of others per a 'popping' problem thread on the other site) came with the CMD 7. Sorry I didn't answer sooner.

matt sabath

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2014 242ls. It has a clarion cmd6 and 6 speakers and 2 speakers in the tower. I am looking to improve the sound. Feels like all i hear is the small speakers in the tower. Any recommendations on type of amp to add to improve the sound? Not looking to spend alot of money just want to bump up the volume throughout the cabin.