• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Clarion CMD7 w/ amp - fading help

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey all... So I finished my amp/speaker install and was playing around with the Clarion head unit to tweak the sound a bit. In doing so I tried fading the sound front to back and ran into an issue in doing so and couldn't get it to work as I thought it should...

My setup:
Clarion CMD7 HU, 6 channel amp driving 6 speakers (1 channel each), I also double checked my speaker wires plugged into the amp to make sure the bow 2 were on 1/2, the in cabin on channels 4-6. The front RCAs from the HU are hooked up to channel 1/2 on the amp, then using a RCA splitter I hooked up the rear ('no fader') RCAs to the amp on channels 3/4 and 5/6 (2 RCA outs split to 4 RCAs to the amp). No sub in my setup either.

Question:
What I would like to do is fade the front 2 speakers and the rear 4. By doing just that I thought it would fade rear to front, but by fading to the rear I loose all sound on the 4 back speakers. I tried playing with the fading option (goes from -6 to +6) and that worked to get sound to the rear channels, but the fading didn't seem to work either. So what settings are others using that have an amp driving their cabin speakers?

For now I just have the amp in 2 channel mode, so the signal from the HU just goes to all 6 channels, and that'll be fine for now. Just really confused me when I couldn't get the fading to work and the manual for the Clarion was useless with regard to the settings.

Seems to me you would need to run a set of RCAs from the REAR out on the headunit for it to fade.

EDIT - I think you can set the REAR output to either non fading subwoofer or rear. Looking online I see it offers a Front output and a switchable rear/subwoofer. Look in your Menu on the headunit and see if that is an option.

Last edited:
There are 3 pairs of RCAs coming out of the back.
  • Aux input mounted to the dash
  • Front (L/R)
  • Rear/no fader (L/R)
There is a 'no fader' volume options that I set to +6 and got sound out of the rear speakers, but fading front to back still didn't do what I kind of expected. The other is a Rear/N-F option (Rear or No Fader values) and that I would think should be set to "Rear" to make that last set behave like the rear channels, right? So with those options set like that I tried fading the sound front to all rear it was not right, the mids would cut out and the front and rear speakers would have sound. Just was odd, so I'm hoping someone else has figured that out.

For now I just have it running in 2 channel mode, which works fine, just no option to fade sound to just the front or rear speakers.

I don't know if this will help, not knowing the amp settings, but try running the front RCA's to channel 1/2 on the amp. Run the rear RCA's to channels 3/4 on the amp. In your amp settings, let the rear RCA's provide the signal to the amp for channels 3/4 and 5/6. Then when you fade, you will get either the bow, or the cockpit, but you don't have 3 zones whether you split the rear or not and you don't need to split the rear signal, the amp can sort it out. You only have a front and rear signal from the amp. Edit...meant to say you only have front and rear signal from the HU.

Last edited:
Man, if I find a way to have the 3/4 input power the 5/6 as well as the 3/4 on my amp, I'm gonna be pissed. Bought parts and everything to split that, after reading for a long time on how to do that. I hope it is not possible on all amps.

AAARRRGHHHHH! I think I just figured out how to do it. 'Summed' setting instead of 'Discrete'. That is what it is called on my amp to do what @txav8r describes.

Now I gotta rewire things.

Back