• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out plug blew/Engine wont start/HELP NEEDED!

99MVP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 280+ hours of wonderful boating over two and a half summers our clean out plug ruined our August 2016 campaign. I launched my wife and 8 year old daughter just like every weekend. I can always see them as I come around the bend headed for camp. This time I noticed she was cruising slower than usual. By the time I was backing the trailer into camp when a frantic call came in "hurry get down here something's wrong with the boat" she thought the drain plug was out and was trying to keep moving to allow water to escape and not enter. When I opened the engine hatch the water was flush with the top of the valve covers. One engine was toast the other was fine. Replaced with brand new crankcase assembly and rebuilt the head. Now after 9hrs of operation the new engine won't start. Shop that pulled the engine out and installed the new says timing chain jumped a tooth. Machine shop that rebuilt head and assembled all engine components says it's electrical. Turns over fine, 195psi in all 4 cylinders, has spark, and fuel.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@99MVP, I would like to move your post to a new thread where it will get more attention.

With 195 PSI on all four cylinders I would think it is not the timing but you really need input from more mechanically minded members.

Since it is cranking, if you had not confirmed spark, I would suggest that the lanyard switch could be the issue.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Others will hopefully chime in with more advanced knowledge, but to get us started...

I think if you have good and equal compression on all cylinders, I agree that eliminates problems with the timing chain. Along with it having run for 9 hours. Spark eliminates the lanyard; cranking eliminates the swim deck switch and throttle position sensor.

The fact that it ran for 9 hours makes me doubt fuel, but if you ran to the bottom of the tank I guess you could be hitting water in the fuel. Worth a check.

I am tending toward electrical, particularly in the ECU. Water infiltration from your flood event may have gotten water somewhere. Did you use Damp Rid or something in the engine compartment? How long ago was the flood and how long did it take you to run up the 9 hours?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
spray every electrical connection you can find in the engine compartment with silicon spray and clean every ground wire you can find , pull it clean where they attach to the engine etc and reattach them.

99MVP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Flood was beginning of August and we took the boat out twice about two weeks apart before and after Christmas with no problems. Broke the new engine in strictly by the manual. Took it out a third time and after about 2 engine hours and at least 5 starts, she just wouldn't fire up.
I went through the wiring making sure nothing came loose. I took it back to the shop and now I'm getting the run around blame game.

99MVP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
spray every electrical connection you can find in the engine compartment with silicon spray and clean every ground wire you can find , pull it clean where they attach to the engine etc and reattach them.
Thanks for the tips. Any help is appreciated.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that sure still sounds electrical to me. Hard to believe that the timing chain would jump on a brand new engine suddenly, while not running, after 2 outings. Could it happen? Sure, I guess. But very, very remote.

Pop some Damp Rid in the engine compartment and pull the connectors and use your WD-40 as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC suggests. I would also check the wires coming from the hatch and the throttles. I am betting something was not fully attached when they put in the new engine, or that you have leftover water somewhere that migrated and is shorting something out.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it jumped time it wont start because of zero to low compression. A quick compression test followed by a cylinder leak down check will confirm bad or good internal problem

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OP said 195 psi on all 4 cylinders... That is why I discounted the timing chain as an issue.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OP said 195 psi on all 4 cylinders... That is why I discounted the timing chain as an issue.
I agree as far as a compression check is concerned. But i have seen a good compression reading and a failed leakdown check many times

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree as far as a compression check is concerned. But i have seen a good compression reading and a failed leakdown check many times
But if you have good compression it will still run. If you're leaking enough to make it not start, then the compression well be down. Verify spark, then verify fuel flow at the injector and fuel pressure.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But if you have good compression it will still run. If you're leaking enough to make it not start, then the compression well be down.
Not necessarily, compression gauges have check valves and can show what appears as good reading. I have diagnosed many engines with bent valves or cracked reed valves(on 2 strokes)that showed plenty of compression and it wasn't untill i did a complete leak down and verified more than a 50% leak.
I do agree that his problem is most likely electrical but i believe in checking all quick mechanical possibilities first

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@99MVP , can you work on switching some of the electrical components and fuel components between starboard and port to isolate the problem? I am not familiar with the access in that boat but this sounds fuel related or safety/lanyard/ignition based on the engine turning over and you saying that you have spark. Also, have you tried starter fluid? Going over all electrical connections and cleaning up the connections at the battery would also be a next step. Fuses as well and although you checked that, I would concentrate on swapping the fuses that go with port/starboard (i.e. ECU fuse, i think you have one). Sorry for sounding like a 2-stroke owner. Spark, fuel, air (swap air filters)

While diagnosing, order a set of cobra ez-locks asap. Known issue with these clean out plugs and this is definitely an extra precaution.

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With him installing a new engine doesn't the ECU need to be re-flashed again for all things to properly work again?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With him installing a new engine doesn't the ECU need to be re-flashed again for all things to properly work again?
No. If you use the same injectors, map, sensors, etc you don't need to re-flash. I'm not even sure that anyone has access to flashing software for these ECUs. (been flashing Ford ecu's since '05)

AJDerzie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you check the most obvious thing? When a plug blows it can often damage the engine hatch so it doesn't close snugly. The kill switch is then activated and engine won't start.