• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plugs leak

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hello,

Does anybody have a solution for leaking clean out put plugs? I'm not talking about water just sitting on top of the plugs... I'm talking about water finding it's way around the plugs, over the top of the plug while underway, and leaking into the compartment under the clean out tray. I put the rebuild clean out plug seal on the plugs but that seems to not make a difference. Any help/advice would be great. It looks like other have had the same issue but never inform on how they did or did not fix the problem.

Thanks!

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey Heloskick! I suffered this exact same issue that took me quite some time to track down the cause. Noticing you already purchased the seal, when you secure the plugs "lock" down into the manhole, are the dogs on the plug seating firmly on the manhole tube? Or is there some slight freeplay after you seat the plug if you wiggle the T Handle?

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hey Heloskick! I suffered this exact same issue that took me quite some time to track down the cause. Noticing you already purchased the seal, when you secure the plugs "lock" down into the manhole, are the dogs on the plug seating firmly on the manhole tube? Or is there some slight freeplay after you seat the plug if you wiggle the T Handle?

When I grab the handle I can move them around a bit. Not a whole lot but it can move around maybe a few cm from side to side. The “dogs” are a little chewed up. The metal looks a little chipped. Thanks for the reply!

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@heloskick
I sent you a Private Message in which my solution to the problem was discovered right before selling the boat.

I know this is my post from another write up. So if i offend, its unintentional but purely for educational purposeds. For those that are experiencing the cleanout plugs not seating all the way or feeling loose, please take a look. Mine would not seat as tightly and i ended up purchasing a new cleanout plug months before spotting this fix; which worked great for both plugs. Also if the plug doesnt seat tightly, water can and will find its way up past the cleanout plug into the bilge via the manhole tube.

After performing the steps, there was very, very little, if any at all, wiggle in the plug when it was seated. When the pin is screwed back all the way into the T Handle, when you go to Lock the Cleanout Plug in place, the dogs on the side of the cleanout will hold more securely and further into the locking slots in the manhole tube.

I also repaired both cleanout plug bottoms, and replaced a plug prior to seeing this solution... wish i would have know first how to fix the issue than spend all that money on a new plug.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, this is a public forum. I take offense to fixes shared in private...I want in :)

Thanks!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@addisonm06 it is okay to post here from the other forum. Too bad it is not the other way around.

If you could though, can you update your post from the other forum to write up? I think @Scottintexas might need to put that kind of a fix on FAQ

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hi Betik,
Ok i wasnt sure if it was or wasnt allowed so thank you for the clarification. And yes, i can work on a write up as well! I think it would be very beneficial to a lot of jetboaters!

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Yes! That info definitely needs to be shared to anyone who has a boat that requires clean out plugs. I think that might be the fix to this “mystery leak” that soooooo many people have.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@addisonm06 - good job finding a solution, I tried to open the links to YJB you posted but it requires me to sign in to view them,

If I could ask you to copy and paste that post over here I'm sure there are many that would benefit from it,

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hi All,

I owned (sold this year) my LS2000 for the last 8 years. I am very meticulous with my items and borderline/ wife diagnosed OCD. Since day 1 my bilge would kick on while underway and would run what seemed to be consistently every 15 seconds for an extended period of time. I knew i had a leak somewhere. I also knew that the bilge should not run that often.

The last 3/3.5 years this really bothered me. I spent a ton of time diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem area. I changed known products to leak (ie. speedo pitot assembly, pump housing seals, resealed and check all through hull items, replaced scupper, replaced the sealing foam on cleanout tray, rebuilt plugs, you name it, i did it.)

I leak tested with it on the trailer and tipped back a bit and filled the bilge with water. NO leaks were detected. Went out on the water, underway, bilge ran the same as it did prior; there was still a leak somewhere. After a year of thinking, i bypassed the cleanout tray and watched while my wife drove. I noticed water was coming up and over the cleanout plugs and spilling into the bilge through the manhole. This explained why i was baffled that it was only leaking under way but not while sitting anchored; because the impeller duct would cause so much pressure that the water would pass the cleanout seal. I replaced and purchased the cleanout repair kits and tested again with the same results.

I tested the plugs by pouring water on top of them while on the trailer; the water would leak through so i knew they were not sealing 100%. Water leaked through quite a bit so i knew the seal was poor.

At the middle of last season, my cleanout plug would not seat properly in the manhole tube. I was forced to purchase a brand new plug ( i purchased it for around $150 so it wasnt a bad deal to have an extra). I purchased a new one to get me through the rest of the reason as the wife wanted to continue boating.

I noticed that the bilge did not kick on as often, the only thing i could relate was a brand new plug. Before spending the money on another one, i stumbled across the below repair. To my astonishment, this solved my "mystery leak".

**Disclaimer, the below steps and photos were not originated by me. Credit to @GlennLindsay via YJB.

First. 1.
Next, take two small Philips head screws out that the dogs rotate on. These are thread locked from the factory and were tough for me to get out. The pin would rotate in the housing even though they weren’t supposed to. I ended up using a pair of channel locks to apply pressure on the pin and that allowed me to turn the screw. See Photo 3.

Second. 2.
Push the pins that the dogs rotate on out of the back. Be careful not to lose the secondary pins on closest to the handle. They are simply sitting in the holes. See Photo 4 and 5.

Third. 3.
As you can see from the below picture, The center pin had backed out a good amount. I’m honestly surprised that it didn’t continue to back all the way out. See Photo 6 and 7.

At this stage, I pulled the pin all the way off, cleaned up the threads, added some red threadlocker, and reinstalled. I then assembled in reverse order, and it fits nice and snug now. I did have to take it back apart once because I am way to OCD and I put the handle upside down so the release lettering was facing toward the stern (normal) but the handle lettering was facing the bow. Functionally it worked just fine, but I wanted it to be right.

After performing the steps, there was very, very little, if any at all, wiggle in the plug when it was seated. When the pin is screwed back all the way into the T Handle, when you go to Lock the Cleanout Plug in place, the dogs on the side of the cleanout will hold more securely and further into the locking slots in the manhole tube.

This solved my "mystery leak" as the water would not come up and over the plug through the manhole and spill into the bilge while underway. Hopefully i can help someone along the way, possibly help save a few bucks into repairing the plugs rather than replacing, and in my case, let my OCD mind rest a bit knowing its fixed.... even though i sold the boat :)

Hopefully this can be added to FAQ or somewhere to gain visibility.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks, added to the FAQ under general mtc/plugs