• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleaning bottom of boat?

Trannyguy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys the white bottom part of my boat is getting discolored from the water. My question is what do you guys use to get staining off and how do you clean the part that sits on the bunks? Any help appreciated

Starbrite Hull Cleaner is magic. I personally don't worry about the part the bunks rest on.

If the hull is originally white, use a mop and some toilet bowl cleaner. Spread on, leave a couple minutes, rinse off. Wear gloves if you don't like burning sensations. If you want to get to the bunk areas, you'll have to winch the boat off the trailer one side at a time. Probably more of a PITA than it's worth.

Attachments

• 56D7D7DE-BB38-4416-9452-32992C235A5C.jpeg
    56D7D7DE-BB38-4416-9452-32992C235A5C.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks for all the reply’s. I will see which one my local store carry’s and give it a try.

Hey guys the white bottom part of my boat is getting discolored from the water. My question is what do you guys use to get staining off and how do you clean the part that sits on the bunks? Any help appreciated

The Werks bathroom cleaner from Dollar General. It cost $1 per bottle and it cleans the bottom of my boat twice. Buy a cheap sponge mop while there to apply. Wipe on (no scrubbing required), wait, see the difference (turns white within minutes), rinse off. It will be obvious what spots you missed.

I learned of this stuff from someone here on the forum. I promise you will not be disappointed with the results.

Last edited:
I wish I would have asked you all about a month ago. Left boat in the water for 3 weeks and it was bad tried a few cleaners we had but that did nothing. We ended up using the magic eraser. It worked great but had to get under the boat. Took about 5 hours to clean. I told the wife we won't do that again and bought a boat lift. Now we just rinse off every time we use.

Here is the before and after on my boat of one application of cleaner. It had been in the water five months.

I rinse the boat. Walk around spraying the cleaner and wait 10-15 minutes, rinse off. You can see there is a couple spots that needed a second application.

[HASH=3840]#magic[/HASH]
1D23A1AA-A3F2-41AA-9075-995E61236B7D.jpeg6D83ADF9-51E6-4B8D-97D3-061247B2DBE5.jpeg

Star-Brite Hull Cleaner.....a little hard on the lungs but cleans well.
Gotta be careful guys! Some of the cleaners (especially toilet cleaners) have acid in them! Wear a respirator, especially if you're spraying it. It can do permanent damage to your lungs!

The $1 Works Tub and Shower Cleaner (as opposed to the toilet bowl stuff) got the Lake Texoma "rust" off mine. Put it in a spray bottle and sprayed it on, being mindful of the wind. ;-)
Watched the stains vanish before my eyes. It looks like it even was absorbed by the carpet enough to clean under the bunks. Then just rinse it off.
I don't know if the this stuff is as bad as the toilet bowl stuff (LIKELY IS), but it is at least designed specifically for mineral and rust stains on fiberglass!

OK my question to ya'll is do you wax the hull after you clean it with all of these different cleaners that your using or just call it good enough??

Needs rewaxing or it will get yellow really fast on the bottom after an acid cleaning (which removed all the old wax). You will notice it yellowing even faster now if you don’t re wax if after you do this process. I like mine as white as I can keep it I do this process of the Starbrite Hull Cleaner twice a year (middle of boating season and when boating season is over) then always fully wax the hull after each time I do it. Keeps it whiter longer in between the hull cleanings if you keep it waxed. Plus routine washes dirt and black marks/stuff comes off hull much easier if it’s waxed. Good luck!

Last edited:
I NEED to wax, but I need to get a buffer and do a restorer wax...
But +1 to NewBoater's post. I suspect a good coat of wax will help reduce some of the staining in the first place!

The last three years I’ve tried three different waxes. By far the best was 3m marine... might try rejex next year.

Hi Trannyguy, in my opinion, I think you should use Better Boat Hull Cleaner. I have used it for 4 months and it can clean off a smorgasbord of stains and dirt, especially it can restore discoloration. Better Boat Hull Cleaner can fix your problem, it's good for you. You should try it. One thing I can say about this cleaner is that it is definitely an all-rounder. It works fast, works effectively, and works on a lot of stains. That’s why I actually consider it to be one of my favorites.

Back