• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout plug success

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam here but I wanted to add my successful experience in case it can help anyone.

New to me 2006 AR210 that had pretty stuck plugs when purchased (purchase price reflected my knowledge that I’d be rebuilding them). I don’t think the PO ever removed them. My concern was with how top half of the plugs seemed very snug in the top of the cleanout port (the white portion of the tray). Both rubber seals were badly expanded. One of the seals had a lip that was folded over permanently. Both plug bottoms were full of water even after the boat has been sitting for a few months.

I finally got my rebuild kits in the mail and rebuilt the plugs. I used some 180 sandpaper on the ports to clean off all the dirt/sediment that was caked on the walls. I took the advice of @motomandan and greased all surfaces of the seals and plugs with Super Lube. Plugs were still slightly snug at the top of the ports but now slip in and out super easily.

I was worried I’d be needing to heat/stretch the tray and tubes or something. Success!

Attachments

• 48371982-B9F8-47A4-82EA-5C3E27319121.jpeg
    48371982-B9F8-47A4-82EA-5C3E27319121.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 5E1B6253-D2AC-45AD-8A60-CC5774E7170F.jpeg
    5E1B6253-D2AC-45AD-8A60-CC5774E7170F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 32008BA6-55A7-4F17-AE75-6C0D207FAA54.jpeg
    32008BA6-55A7-4F17-AE75-6C0D207FAA54.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
Good job on the successful rebuild.

I recommend using silicone lubricant over lithium on the plugs though as lithium will hold more dirt/contaminants. A can of silicone spray lube is fast and easy to give them a quick shot of lube every couple of weeks. And as it's thinner, it helps to rinse dirt off the seals and still lube them at the same time.

During winter storage, pull the plugs and give them a shot of lube. They'll be like new in the spring.

Good job on the successful rebuild.

I recommend using silicone lubricant over lithium on the plugs though as lithium will hold more dirt/contaminants. A can of silicone spray lube is fast and easy to give them a quick shot of lube every couple of weeks. And as it's thinner, it helps to rinse dirt off the seals and still lube them at the same time.

During winter storage, pull the plugs and give them a shot of lube. They'll be like new in the spring.
I'll keep that in mind and keep an eye on the buildup that might occur on the seals. The Super Lube is a silicone grease with added Teflon. The thought I agreed with was that the grease would hopefully be more long lasting than a silicone spray, but I've got a number of bottles of silicone spray around so I can always clean off the grease and switch to the spray if it proves to be an issue. Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind and keep an eye on the buildup that might occur on the seals. The Super Lube is a silicone grease with added Teflon.
Ok I thought it was lithium based...nevermind.
The thought I agreed with was that the grease would hopefully be more long lasting than a silicone spray, but I've got a number of bottles of silicone spray around so I can always clean off the grease and switch to the spray if it proves to be an issue. Thanks!
If you keep to a thin layer it should be fine, and your water conditions will affect debris build-up. I like the spray because it's literally 2 seconds to lube each plug.
:)

Back