• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Close to buying

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi folks. Hubby and I are close to buying our first Yami. We are considering the 2019 210 or 240. It’s just the two of us and we won’t likely engage in water sports. I think 21 ft is plenty boat but I think hubby feels we will regret not going to the 24 ft. Would greatly appreciate any of your opinions. Thanks!

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The deciding factor for me (my wife, really) was the head compartment on the 24' boats. We boat on Puget Sound often, so there isn't really the option for a female to get in the water if she needs to pee. The head compartment allows us to stay on the water all day.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both are great boats. How busy is the are where you go boating? If it is busy and there is a lot of chop, you will appreciate the way the 240 rides.

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The deciding factor for me (my wife, really) was the head compartment on the 24' boats. We boat on Puget Sound often, so there isn't really the option for a female to get in the water if she needs to pee. The head compartment allows us to stay on the water all day.
Excellent point! Thanks!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi folks. Hubby and I are close to buying our first Yami. We are considering the 2019 210 or 240. It’s just the two of us and we won’t likely engage in water sports. I think 21 ft is plenty boat but I think hubby feels we will regret not going to the 24 ft. Would greatly appreciate any of your opinions. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Not to sound sexist here @KitKat but if price is not a big deciding factor I have to side with hubby. You will want family and friends to enjoy your new toy with you and space is a big factor. Also it is a well known adage in boating circles that you want to buy your second boat first. The mindset is that you will quickly outgrow your first boat and want a larger one.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can afford it it's a no brainer. The 240 is a better boat but that's why it costs more.

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Both are great boats. How busy is the are where you go boating? If it is busy and there is a lot of chop, you will appreciate the way the 240 rides.
It can get busy.
All things being equal, I've rarely heard someone say they wish they had bought a smaller boat. Always the opposite.
Welcome to the forum. Not to sound sexist here @KitKat but if price is not a big deciding factor I have to side with hubby. You will want family and friends to enjoy your new toy with you and space is a big factor. Also it is a well known adage in boating circles that you want to buy your second boat first. The mindset is that you will quickly outgrow your first boat and want a larger one.
i think you are right. I was just being practical 😉.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It really depends on quite a few factors, like cost, storage space, boating conditions, amount of planned entertaining.

It's just my wife and I too. We went with a 212X, and it's plenty of boat for what will typically be two people. We boat on inland lakes, and entertain on the boat occasionally, but not a ton. The 21 foot boat has been plenty for us. If we entertained more or were boating on the coasts, we would have likely gone with a 24 foot boat, but the 21 foot boat has been great. Also try to look at an overhead shot of both boats, I know they are floating around this site somewhere, the majority of the extra length is seen in the bow of the boat. The main cockpit area is similar in both boats.

The width of the boats are also the same, so going from a 19 foot boat (8'-0" Beam) to a 21 foot boat (8'-6" Beam), makes more difference than a longer bow seating area.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I went from a Yami 19' to a Chap 22". The size difference was HUGE! A 24' would be nice for the head and chop but mine is dialed in now thru the mods I've done. Keep in mind bigger boats weigh more and cost more for gas in and outside for towing. If you decide to keep at a marina they charge by the foot. I believe it'll cost more to insure as well. Just more food for thought.

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It really depends on quite a few factors, like cost, storage space, boating conditions, amount of planned entertaining.

It's just my wife and I too. We went with a 212X, and it's plenty of boat for what will typically be two people. We boat on inland lakes, and entertain on the boat occasionally, but not a ton. The 21 foot boat has been plenty for us. If we entertained more or were boating on the coasts, we would have likely gone with a 24 foot boat, but the 21 foot boat has been great. Also try to look at an overhead shot of both boats, I know they are floating around this site somewhere, the majority of the extra length is seen in the bow of the boat. The main cockpit area is similar in both boats.

The width of the boats are also the same, so going from a 19 foot boat (8'-0" Beam) to a 21 foot boat (8'-6" Beam), makes more difference than a longer bow seating area.
Very good advice. Thank you. We are middle aged and now enjoying our quiet time. Likely not going to entertain much. The boat will live in the dock most of the time but we might like to bring it into the garage in the winter. We have had 20 ft bow riders over the years and found them to be a good size. Our latest is a Scarab 165 HOI. Going to a 21 ft will be a nice jump back to something more stable. Hubby is concerned that the 210 might not have enough performance.

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went from a Yami 19' to a Chap 22". The size difference was HUGE! A 24' would be nice for the head and chop but mine is dialed in now thru the mods I've done. Keep in mind bigger boats weigh more and cost more for gas in and outside for towing. If you decide to keep at a marina they charge by the foot. I believe it'll cost more to insure as well. Just more food for thought.
I like the idea of the head but see the 210 providing more flexibility. Great feedback from everyone. Thank you so much.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One thing to keep in mind, while bigger is almost always better, towing, backing up, launching, storing, docking when windy, launching when windy.. etc,- a 24' boat is a lot of boat to handle if you don't need the extra room.

Over the years we've launched at dozens of different landings and lakes and there were more than a few where a 20' boat itself was tough to maneuver into the water.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Practically speaking I can't imagine a couple out by themselves thinking a 21' Yamaha isn't big enough.

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One thing to keep in mind, while bigger is almost always better, towing, backing up, launching, storing, docking when windy, launching when windy.. etc,- a 24' boat is a lot of boat to handle if you don't need the extra room.

Over the years we've launched at dozens of different landings and lakes and there were more than a few where a 20' boat itself was tough to maneuver into the water.
I am getting too old for dock stress! Great point!

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Practically speaking I can't imagine a couple out by themselves thinking a 21' Yamaha isn't big enough.
Very true. I think the space is fine. Comes down to what’s under the hood. I think he sees some numbers he likes better on the 240.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very true. I think the space is fine. Comes down to what’s under the hood. I think he sees some numbers he likes better on the 240.
The 21' Limited or X has the same engines as the 24' Boats, so that's an easy remedy! For people who don't entertain much or do watersports, the 212 Limited seems like a great choice! If you want the Tower get the Limited S!

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 21' Limited or X has the same engines as the 24' Boats, so that's an easy remedy! For people who don't entertain much or do watersports, the 212 Limited seems like a great choice! If you want the Tower get the Limited S!
Great idea! Thanks!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yet for 2K more than the 212 LTD-S, you can get an AR240. The extra space is hard to argue with.

KitKat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yet for 2K more than the 212 LTD-S, you can get an AR240. The extra space is hard to argue with.
Feel like we are chasing unicorns anyway. The AR240 we were looking at is gone and we are hearing from dealers there are no more coming in. Seems we are late to the party. May just wait it out for the 2020's.