• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CO risk on swim platform

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In California it is illegal to ride on the swim platform while underway. The CO stickers are the only one's I've left on the boat, not that it means much because I always shut the engines off if anyone is in the water.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In California it is illegal to ride on the swim platform while underway. The CO stickers are the only one's I've left on the boat, not that it means much because I always shut the engines off if anyone is in the water.
The same law exists in Minnesota. I also think it is too easy for someone to fall off the back with the acceleration of these boats. I shut off the engines with people in the water too, except when on the other end of 50-75 feet of rope! :winkingthumbsup"

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you're curious, CO is recognized as a potential problem in many smaller general aviation aircraft (Cessna 152, 172, etc.) and there's a bunch of cheap detectors that you stick to the panel for protection such as this: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/carbon-monoxide-detector.html. It 'resets' when exposed to fresh air (so you'd have to keep an eye on it when checking for effects) and is good for 90 days.
For $4.95 it would be a fairly interesting test...

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We did a test last summer with a portable co monitor held by a person surfing in the usual spot (deck start) . It showed from 0 to 5ppm. Our concern was we body surf back there. I think big issue is guys hang off the platform on wake boats with no life jacket, face in the exhaust, then surprise. Cam

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
CO exposures come in two flavors, acute and chronic. An acute exposure is a high level exposure and can kill you quick...the chronic exposure is the one we see more often...CO builds in the bloodstream over time from a continuous low level exposure...so I can see the possibility of disaster from sitting back there over a long afternoon under power...
We don't ride on the stern but I sat back there once (PFD and hold on tight) at WOT and what a ride!!!!