• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coast Guard Kit

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey all.. Our dealer offered a lifeguard kit for $700. I wish I had the exact breakdown of what is in it. Does anyone have that? I'm betting I can run up to Cabellas and buy the same stuff (maybe not Yamaha brand) alot cheaper.

Anyone else went down this rabbit hole before and have any guidance?

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer threw in our Coast Guard kit. In my case it was a flare gun, 2 handheld air horns, 1 whistle, 4 life jackets(orange) and a throw able life preserver. I think it is worth around $200.
There is another kit that comes with nicer Yamaha life vests but that one tops out at around $300 when i priced it out. Not sure either is worth $700 to be honest.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know ours also includes dock lines, an anchor, anchor line, 2 watersports lifejackets, and a yamaha tube..

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
This is what we were offered.

Yamaha website;
The Boating Starter Kit includes: $230:99
  • Four U.S. Coast Guard Approved/UL Listed PFDs that are adjustable-fit most adults (sizes small to large)
  • One approved Type IV throwable flotation device
  • One 3.5 oz air horn
  • One easy-to-pack first aid kit
  • Two black 24½" Boat Contour Fenders
  • Two No-Slip™ Fender Straps (shown attached to cleats not included)
  • Four white 15' dock lines
  • Nylon case for storage
  • Available with Yamaha branding and without

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
yeah that is a crappy DEAL

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure mine (going from memory here) was the 4 orange life vests, anchor, anchor rode (no chain, if I recall), fire extinguisher, air horn, a couple cheap dock lines. Oh, and a quality storage bag. And mine was thrown in for free. Then again, that was not 2020/2021....

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nothing was thrown in on our deal.. We made a list and I think we will just buy everything separatly, and probably get better quality for the same price as their deal.

With that said, what anchor usually comes with a 24 footer?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my day, it was just a galvanized danforth. It works fine, but you need to know how to use it. There are much better anchors out there... and many worse ones.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We bought new stuff for our new boat that we wanted to match specifically - didn't want the boring black PFD's and white fenders. We didn't want their heavy anchor either and bought a 4lbs Fortress danforth, very light weight and much easier to manage. The Fortress was about an inch shorter for the anchor locker, but we made it a snug fit with a couple of rubber grommets and stainless screws from Home Depot - holds it perfectly in the locker. We also put an outdoor rubber doormat in the bottom of the locker to keep the anchor and chain from banging around - it's snug and silent. Just measure the locker keepers width and buy to match.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I recently bought my boat and it comes with coast guard kit for free (everything mandatory in florida) plus anchor/chain/rope and 2 dock lines. Its not the Yamaha brand ones but it works.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey all.. Our dealer offered a lifeguard kit for $700. I wish I had the exact breakdown of what is in it. Does anyone have that? I'm betting I can run up to Cabellas and buy the same stuff (maybe not Yamaha brand) alot cheaper.

Anyone else went down this rabbit hole before and have any guidance?
See your money and go to the local Walmart or Cabella‘s for that kind of stuff. There is absolutely no need for that stuff to be $700 or Yamaha branded.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yambers Once you get your boat get items that you specifically need and want. Take it from me. I bought a ton of stuff(some crap) just because it looked like I needed it, or was a good deal, and before I actually got on the water enough to know what I needed and exactly wanted for our use case. The guy at West Marine runs to me damn near when I go into the store. What works for some, such as bumpers, anchors, types and lengths of rope, may not work for you. As @haknslash mentioned, go to walmart. Pick up enough to get you on the water. Life vests, throw preserver, rope/lines, air horn, couple of bumpers etc. Then get out there and get a feel for your storage and what you want.
I recommend getting out a few times. Things become much clearer after that.

I have 4 different types of fenders, 5 anchors (3 of them Mantus), a multitude of standard lines and some high performance lines that I won't even say how much I paid for them. 17 jackets and preservers. And the list goes on and on. Multiple VHF's as well. Now on one side of the coin, I have backup upon backup of stuff. On the other hand I will most likely never use more than half of what I got. If I had to do it over again or ever will, I will be very specific in buying what I want/need once I actually use the boat. I purchased enough tools and backup tools that I carried in the boat last summer which I didn't even need nor would I. I swear the boat was listing to port because of all the weight of the tools, and backup parts I would load up with. My OCD got the best of me. I will be lightening the load this coming season and leaving all the extra's behind.

Some of the branded stuff is crap as well, not worth the price, not all but some.

If they give you a coast guard kit and it has enough preservers to get you out on the water legal and safe. Then start with that. Everything else you want/need take your time and be selective, specific and cost prudent.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you located?

Coast guard requires one vest for each occupant be kept in the boat (whether it's on them or stored) plus one Type 4 throwable "Personal Flotation Device" (PFD) cheaper one looks like a cushion with handles for $9.

In the south "Academy sports" sells the 4 pack of life vests for $25 in boating season.

They are the orange uncomfortable design that wraps around your neck. If you have children and plan on water sports or wish to actually use comfortable vests, you certainly want some quality neoprene vests that will fit and feel great. You need as many good ones as will be used at the same time, for the remaining occupants, a cheap orange vest to show the coast guard is the best investment.

@HangOutdoors has the experience! Don't overbuy if you can help it(or at least buy with ability to return) if the item doesn't fit your needs. You want to buy the very best that you actually notice and enjoy. No use overpaying when item of the same comfort and quality can be found for much less.

That kit sure sounds highly overpriced. For that much you can buy good quality for every item that might come in that kit, and you'd have at least $400 left over.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This is what we were offered.

Yamaha website;
The Boating Starter Kit includes: $230:99
  • Four U.S. Coast Guard Approved/UL Listed PFDs that are adjustable-fit most adults (sizes small to large)
  • One approved Type IV throwable flotation device
  • One 3.5 oz air horn
  • One easy-to-pack first aid kit
  • Two black 24½" Boat Contour Fenders
  • Two No-Slip™ Fender Straps (shown attached to cleats not included)
  • Four white 15' dock lines
  • Nylon case for storage
  • Available with Yamaha branding and without
@kgower going back the last 8 boats I have purchased new I have never been charged for the safety/CG kit. Was that charge buried somewhere in another item like PDI - don't know didn't seem so at the time - but maybe. :cool:

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks to all for the great advice. Thats why I come here..

The wife and I went to Cabelas today and started throwing crap in the cart.. Then I said we should put it all back. We then went to the dealer to compare prices, and to my surprise the dealer was CHEAPER!!. But still we left the dealer empty handed. I said to myself, and my wife, exactly what @HangOutdoors stated. Lets get what we need to get out legally, get a feel for it, then see what we need. Boat crap is everywhere, and can be picked up at Wal-Mart on the drive home. I dont want to spend money on stuff I wont use or dont need. We have a list a mile long, but I am sure we can knock it down.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yambers Amazon took a good ass chunk out my wallet as well. I would come here to the forum, read, then think I could use something like that, than put it in my cart and keep going till I was loaded up. Multiple deliveries per day were coming to the house. Didn't take long after we were out on the water to realize that some things didn't work for me and that I didn't really need.

I don't know where you are located, but I decided to buy the boat the last day of April 2020, Got it two weeks later then was right on the water. If I had more time I would think that I would of taken my time figuring it out.

None the less I get your excitement, and you are getting a really nice boat :) As you look at purchasing things, I recommend the big things first. Not sure where you are boating and what type of water, but, Steering Fins/Thrusters, VHF Radio, Tools for proper oil change, Bow roller, Trailer Guides (if you use them), some security items for trailer and a Porta Potti, stuff to clean your seats and boat (Hot Sauce, etc), a wheel bearing grease gun, and I am sure a few more things, but these for the most part are needs and don't really change, pretty standard for us.

To this day when the Admiral eye balls the 4 storage lockers with boat stuff and all the bins, I still say we needed all of it! Although she knows I know better now.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I totally agree. So far the only real purchases has been a stoltz roller that will go on before we pull it home, and a porta potty.. I will get all the requires safety stuff before we pick it up, and cobra jet will be ordered soon. Oh, and a 4 pack of hot sauces from Amazon.

We plan on taking our first trips when it is still chilly and during the week so we dont embarrass ourselves to bad at the dock or on the water. After that we can see what we need and what we have room for.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yambers One thing I did get that I absolutely love are Floating High Visiblity Lines/Ropes for the boat. Can see them great in low light conditions as well as they float. My front line is 20' long so it is barely long enough not to get sucked up in the jets when I am tied off to the bow for docking, etc. Also it is thicker than the cheap white ones they give you in the Coast Guard Kit. Easier on the hands.

Anyhow, just a couple of things I would recommend that every boater should have. These things below I would buy again.

1) If you don't have Boat Buckles for the transom get them. AWESOME. GEt the stainless steel if you are in Salt.
Amazon.com : BoatBuckle G2 Retractable Transom Tie-Down (Black), 1 Pair : Boatbuckle? Retractable Tie Down System : Sports & Outdoors
2) I use the following on my hinges and other areas as well. Some use different.
Amazon.com: Yamaha ACC-SLCNS-PR-AY Silicone Spray Protectant & Lubricant, Pack of 2: Health & Personal Care
3) Lines With eye loop. Makes it a breeze to slip them through the cleates and over real quick. Dont have to tie to cleats.
Amazon.com : SEACHOICE Double-Braid Nylon Dock Line 3/8" x 20' 40271 Black : Dock Lines And Rope : Sports & Outdoors
4) My anchor lines so I can see the damn things in the water. I use Green.
Amazon.com: Extreme Max 3006.2657 BoatTector Solid Braid MFP Anchor Line with Thimble - 3/8" x 100', Neon Green: Automotive
5) Telescoping Emergency Paddles. Store easily. I carry two. The day I suck up a tow rope in both engines, I am sure these will pay for themselves.
Amazon.com: Emergency 20-inch to 42-inch Telescoping Paddle, Orange: Sports & Outdoors
6) Depending on what jack you have on the trailer, mine was crap and leaning.
Amazon.com: Ark Trailer Jack XO750 Black Edition Extreme: Automotive
7) Sooner or later I am sure this piece gets lost for flushing. I bought a couple extra. Really inexpesnisive.
Amazon.com: Yamaha OEM PWC WaveRunner/Sport Jet Boat Conduction Water Flush Fitting: Sports & Outdoors
8) I also bought two of these, so I have the drain plug for extras. When some ass hat thinks its funny to steal mine or mine breaks.
Amazon.com: Yamaha F2D-U2280-10-00 Drain Plug Assembly; F2DU22801000 Made by Yamaha: Automotive
9) I got a floating wrist band to attach my lanyard to like on a jetski. That way I don't have to clip it to my vest or pants. For the kill switch.
Amazon.com: Yamaha Superjet SJ Waverunner GP XL VX VXR Raider LX SHO New Wrist Band Lanyard: Health & Personal Care

Last thing I would recommend is to do a Keel Guard. I did not at first and then when I did buy it the season was almost over. Mine will be going on as soon as the weather changes. It just takes something to hit the keel wrong and boat is going into the shop. Again not sure what type of water you boat in.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
@kgower going back the last 8 boats I have purchased new I have never been charged for the safety/CG kit. Was that charge buried somewhere in another item like PDI - don't know didn't seem so at the time - but maybe. :cool:
The Starter/Coastguard Kit and the upgrade to the galvanized trailer were thrown in at no cost.