• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering & Top Speed

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm aware that there are many factors affecting top speed. Temp (D/A), chop, wind, weight, etc. Initially I've hit a top speed of 41 mph. Late last year after installing the CJ steering, I was not seeing speeds over 38-39 mph. Now my best speed is 34 mph.

I've got the CJ set at the recommended settings 5/6. Is this creating drag at speed? If so, is there a different setting that will reduce drag at speed?

I may just take it off and see the difference.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you'll get a thousand answers and spend a million brain cells thinking about it,

just take them off and see if it runs the same, just make sure you have the same wind/weather/boat weight conditions,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm aware that there are many factors affecting top speed. Temp (D/A), chop, wind, weight, etc. Initially I've hit a top speed of 41 mph. Late last year after installing the CJ steering, I was not seeing speeds over 38-39 mph. Now my best speed is 34 mph.

I've got the CJ set at the recommended settings 5/6. Is this creating drag at speed? If so, is there a different setting that will reduce drag at speed?

I may just take it off and see the difference.
I did extensive testing on my boat and there was no speed difference. I did drop some speed after I put them on, and it was do to my Jet Nozzle's not being aligned properly, which I did with the installation. Once resolved speed was the same with same conditions.