• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering Viper system

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So. I'm a fairly seasoned jet boat guy (I'm on my 4th jet boat, plus several skis). I know a thing, maybe 2, about jet boats. I'm not particularly favored towards any brand, as avid forum readers can attest to. With that said, I picked up a 2016 FSH not long ago. My last jet was a seadoo 210SE 430hp, so a bit of difference in the controls, but nothing crazy. I've had another doo and a couple yammy's. I've driven others. I've torn apart both. I've ridden in a bunch. I've got a fair grasp of the ins and outs of all. I'm not a jet boat expert, but, an aficionado? Yeah. Let's go with that because it sounds cool.

So. I'm confident in my jet boat maneuverability skills. Maybe too much. I was actually talking to Jeff @ CJS (Cobra Jet Steering - try to keep up here, eh?) before I even had my latest jet boat. Not because I thought I'd need the steering aid, but because I thought I could provide a non-biased opinion on his new steering setup, and wanted to get it at a deal because I knew, I freaking KNEW, I wouldn't care for it and I'd just end up pulling it back off and reselling it. If I got in early, I ain't gonna lose nothing, maybe even make a few $$$'s when I resold. Because, I just don't need it.

WELL. My last boat was a freakin' massive Whaler. It's not a jetboat. Not even close. I'm blaming that. Let's pile on it's been a long crazy winter, so we'll add 'lack of practice' in the mix. But my first few times out in the FSH, I won't say I was lost, but it was a far cry from what I had grown accustomed to. I was seriously scared of the dock. Scared of slow speed maneuvering. And holy friggin batman, batman, even at speed - this thing did NOT handle like I was used to. Yes, I would get used to it. Yup, adapt and overcome. No worries. But, I did have this new Viper system here, so of course I threw it on last night.

Yup. A whole bunch of paragraphs later. Some drama. A whole lot of backstory you didn't need/nor care about. I have a new boat again. Yes, I know, it was a new boat I didn't introduce already. Yes, I get a new boat every year (sometimes multiple). But, I like to think I'm more in tune with my boat than most with my background and profession. And, well, yeah. I'm just awesomer. But this Viper system humbled me.

I wanted to not like it. I'm too good for steering enhancements. I don't need em. But, while I may not, this is so much more. I tried to take some video yesterday, but had a ton of trouble with sucking of debris that I couldn't. Trust me when I say that every aspect of this boat is better. Or don't trust me. Enjoy your mediocre handling.

Docking speeds - yes, better. Is it "HOLY FRIGGIN SPACEBALLS BATMAN" better? No. But, I'm not scared of docking. I'm more confident. It isn't gonna completely change your life - it's *just* better enough that you aren't gonna worry about it. Pretty much exactly like all other steering enhancements have helped all your other jet boats. You won't be disappointed, you won't be blown away. The first couple times I took my FSH around, I seriously thought I lost "it" (how to handle a jet boat at slow speed). Afterwards, I was reminded that I'm as awesome as I thought I was. My wife drove my FSH 5?-ish miles today at docking speeds (no wake mode maxed) with zero complaints about handling. She's driven approximately 0 of my previous jet boats. Actually, exactly 0. Never. And, bless her heart, she brought home all of us drunken idiots today.

Getting on plane - I wish I had more conclusive evidence supporting it either way. I don't. I tried. Sorry. Most of my testing without was just me. All of my testing with, was with 4 additional adult crew members. I'd like to say it made an improvement, but I can't say with absolute certainty. Hell, I can't say with any certainty at all. But it does feel better.

Planing speeds - yes. All the yes. Take the yes, and multiply it. I truly feel this is where it shines. I took mom out yesterday, and honestly, this thing turned like my 23' Whaler Conquest did. It handled just fine. Just, meh. Other times, it just didn't excite me. Infinitely better than your traditional fishing rig, but a far cry from jetboats of yesteryear. With the Viper on there now, it reminds me more of my Seadoo 210 430HP. It TURNS. Like, you better hold on kinda turning (particularly in an FSH where there ain't much to hold you in or hold onto). If the Viper added nothing else to my boating experience, handling at speed is 110% worth the investment. It truly reminded me this isn't just a fishing boat, but a fun boat too.

I will not be removing this setup. I will not be selling it. I *do* highly encourage you to pick one up. And, I'm not just saying that because I saved money buying it for a review. (Just look up my google and amazon reviews if you think I am - I'm kind of an asshole). If I buy 3 more 19' Yammies this year (which isn't a stretch of the imagination), every one of them will have this Viper system installed. No question. I do like it. I do feel like it was worth the jingle.

IMG_1159.jpg

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sober edit :p

I need a breathalyzer for my router. :lol:

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So. I'm a fairly seasoned jet boat guy (I'm on my 4th jet boat, plus several skis). I know a thing, maybe 2, about jet boats. I'm not particularly favored towards any brand, as avid forum readers can attest to. With that said, I picked up a 2016 FSH not long ago. My last jet was a seadoo 210SE 430hp, so a bit of difference in the controls, but nothing crazy. I've had another doo and a couple yammy's. I've driven others. I've torn apart both. I've ridden in a bunch. I've got a fair grasp of the ins and outs of all. I'm not a jet boat expert, but, an aficionado? Yeah. Let's go with that because it sounds cool.

So. I'm confident in my jet boat maneuverability skills. Maybe too much. I was actually talking to Jeff @ CJS (Cobra Jet Steering - try to keep up here, eh?) before I even had my latest jet boat. Not because I thought I'd need the steering aid, but because I thought I could provide a non-biased opinion on his new steering setup, and wanted to get it at a deal because I knew, I freaking KNEW, I wouldn't care for it and I'd just end up pulling it back off and reselling it. If I got in early, shit, I ain't gonna lose nothing, maybe even make a few $$$'s when I resold. Because, I just don't need it.

WELL. My last boat was a freakin' massive Whaler. It's not a jetboat. Not even close. I'm blaming that. Let's pile on it's been a long crazy winter, so we'll add 'lack of practice' in the mix. But my first few times out in the FSH, I won't say I was lost, but it was a far cry from what I had grown accustomed to. I was seriously scared of the dock. Scared of slow speed maneuvering. And holy friggin batman, batman, even at speed - this thing did NOT handle like I was used to. Yes, I would get used to it. Yup, adapt and overcome. No worries. But, I did have this new Viper system here, so of course I threw it on last night.

Yup. A whole bunch of paragraphs later. Some drama. A whole lot of backstory you didn't need/nor care about. I have a new boat again. Yes, I know, it was a new boat I didn't introduce already. Yes, I get a new boat every year (sometimes multiple). But, I like to think I'm more in tune with my boat than most with my background and profession. And, well, yeah. I'm just awesomer. But this Viper system humbled me. (I'm still awesomer, and yes, that's a legit word).

I wanted to not like it. I'm too good for steering enhancements. I don't need em. But, while I may not, this is so much more. I tried to take some video yesterday, but had a ton of trouble with sucking of debris that I couldn't. Trust me when I say that I swear every aspect of this boat is better. Or don't trust me. Enjoy your mediocre handling. #nofucksgiven #hashtag #hashbrown #hashtagsaredumb

Docking speeds - yes, better. Is it "HOLY FRIGGIN SPACEBALLS BATMAN" better? No. But, I'm not scared of docking. I'm more confident. It isn't gonna completely change your life - it's *just* better enough that you aren't gonna worry about it. Pretty much exactly like all other steering enhancements have helped all your other jet boats. You won't be disappointed, you won't be blown away. The first couple times I took my FSH around, I seriously thought I lost "it" (how to handle a jet boat at slow speed). Afterwards, I was reminded that I'm as awesome as I thought I was. My wife drove my FSH 5?-ish miles today at docking speeds (no wake mode maxed) with zero complaints about handling. She's driven approximately 0 of my previous jet boats. Actually, exactly 0. Never. And, bless her heart, she brought home all of us drunken idiots today.

Getting on plane - I wish I had more conclusive evidence supporting it either way. I don't. I tried. Sorry. Most of my testing without was just me. All of my testing with, was with 4 additional adult crew members. I'd like to say it made an improvement, but I can't say with absolute certainty. Hell, I can't say with any certainty at all. But it does feel better.

Planing speeds - yes. All the yes. Take the yes, and multiply it. I truly feel this is where it shines. I took mom out yesterday, and honestly, this thing turned like my 23' Whaler Conquest did. It handled just fine. Just, meh. Other times, it just didn't excite me. Didn't make my pants tight. Infinitely better than your traditional fishing rig, but a far cry from jetboats of yesteryear. With the Viper on there now, it reminds me more of my Seadoo 210 430HP. It TURNS. Like, you better hold the fuck on kinda turning. If the Viper added nothing else to my boating experience, handling at speed is 110% worth the investment. It truly reminded me this isn't just a fishing boat, but a fun boat too. Yes, you should focus on whether my pants get tight or not, that is a valid unit of measurement. I'm pretty sure. Ish.

I will not be removing this setup. I will not be selling it. I *do* highly encourage you to pick one up. And, I'm not just saying that because I saved money buying it for a review. (Just look up my google and amazon reviews if you think I am - I'm kind of an asshole). If I buy 3 more 19' Yammies this year (which isn't a stretch of the imagination), every one of them will have this Viper system installed. No question. I do like it. I do feel like it was worth the jingle. It does make my pants tight. I will lay with your wife if that's what you want (with or without the Viper). And I'll still save 15% or more if I decide to switch to Geico.

There you have it, my review is complete. If you think it's biased, you clearly haven't read my postings before and don't realize how much of an a$$hole I am normally. Just get this, you won't be disappointed. #micdrop #microphonedrop #hashtagsarestilldumbbutyourestillreadingthemsowhatdoesthatmakeyou? #IloveyouanywayandIllstilllaywithyourwife #jokesonyouIalreadyhavegeico

View attachment 53811
I wish I still had my 190 to give this a whirl! Awesome review.
Wow. I must to say I am not really surprised. That thing looks bad a$$ and with Jeff's experience - that just goes to show.

--

Last edited:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
P.S. - if you need more definition of my units of measurement, if we were to scale it from 1 - 10

10 is definitely a @swatski or a @MrMoose . Pants are sofa king tight
1 would be a heaping pile of cow dung. Pants are hanging around my ankles.

The tighter my pants get, the more I like.

CJS Viper is a solid 9+. (nothing can compare to a swatski or mrmoose - except maybe a @latitudeadjuster or @bronze_10 ).

That is really all now. Carry on.
He said "tighter"

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is a tough read, but I liked the part where your wife had to drive you home.
I agree the viper is a great upgrade.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I met a girl that had one of these in her purse
I asked her what it was, she said it's a male lie detector.
I still don't understand why it was 25 foot.

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered my Viper today for our new AR190. Can't wait to get this on the boat. That part about the wives driving drunk idiots back to the dock put me over the edge. Had to have it after reading that.

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just a follow up on this review. I actually got to drive my boat a little bit more without it last weekend due to a broken steering nozzle and I wanted to play with it without the Viper again to make sure I wasn't jaded or too new at the time, being as I only had a couple hours on the FSH prior to installing the first time.

It went back on with a quickness. I mean, I could still dock and everything, but the amount of movements and transitions it took me was CONSIDERABLY more. 12 hours on the water yesterday with the Viper re-installed looking at lakehouses for sale - I amazed myself just how easily I could dock every single time without question. Current, wind, nothing seemed to matter. Perfect every time.

I had actually planned on selling my FSH if I sealed a deal on a lakehouse (signed a contract today!) as I didn't wanna wetslip it. I figured just get a pontoon or something. Now, I'm convinced I just gotta have this boat. Probably invest in a lift or something next year. For now, I'll just launch when needed. This system made that much difference. My wife had to drive a bunch yesterday while I kept removing windshield/lowering bimini/removing console organizer to clear bridges, and she also agrees. That's certainly not to say that I won't change my mind and still end up letting it go, but I honestly highly doubt it at this point. The Viper perfects this boat as far as me and my families needs go right now. I'm gonna pay it off this week, and hopefully never need the cash to where I'd have to sell it.

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the review!. Partially based on your review, I decided to pick up a Viper for my FSH. Having installed this a few times, would you say there are any "gotchas" or anything to look out for while installing? I've seen Jeff's installation video, but wanted to check for real-world experience.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good quality loc-tite. No exceptions! You will lose a bolt and ruin some things otherwise, lol.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you install the bottom bolt it is very important that you use a good thread locking compound on that bolt or any nozzle pivot bolt for that matter as the nozzle pivots on them.
Also it is good to see that the viper itself has a little wiggle room after the bottom bolt is installed to indicate nothing was left out like the small original spacer .
After you lock the two locking tabs into the recess of the nozzle and tighten their bolts the play is removed and the Viper is secure to the nozzle.
If you plan on using the boat immediately after the install " prior to waiting the correct time for the thread locking compound to cure " reach inside the inner nozzle where the top of the new bottom bolt should be visible and place a drop of superglue on the end of the bolt to secure it quickly while the thread locking compound dries,.
I do that as a backup since some thread locking compound can take several hours to cure depending on the temperature so even if the air is 90 , if you put the boat in 65 or 70 degree water the obvious result is the thread locking compound takes a lot longer to cure. Curing time is printed on the package or bottle of thread locking compound.
And since it is human nature to want to get in and try it out A S A P the backup superglue on the end of the bolt has always worked for me
. It is really not a complicated install by any means but it is important to watch the video and follow the instructions .

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep. Shake your Lock-tite!
If thread locker is not working, there are two things to check.
The screw and whatever it screws into must be clean. Oil prevents thread-locker from working.
Always shake the tube before applying. Thread locker can separate in storage.

--

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. Another item added to my Amazon shopping cart... (along with the 3M 4200 sealant, etc.)

To make things just a little more complicated, I need to remove the current TV's to add the Viper - any gotchas of which any of you are aware, from that perspective?

And - thank you, Jeff! I received my Viper within a few days of ordering. I was pleasantly surprised to have a box delivered from you yesterday.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The original stainless spacers that belong in your reverse gates should be reinstalled , The part number is 90387-08m30-00 if you did not save them or can't find them.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Does this affect top speed at all? I want to get the new Viper model, but don't want to give up any speed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The only thing I have heard about top speed is a few posts about it possibly allowing the boat to get a few more m p h top speed with no proof mentioned but several people have said they believe the viper planning improves their top speed

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Been reading a lot of hype about the new LTVs.
My intuition draws me to like this Viper system better. Simple, quality & cheaper...

I purchased the ultimates 6 months ago, but haven't put them on yet. Been trying to man up and learn to control my first... getting better but there is limitations...

The admiral on the other hand is jealous watching other women loading their boats on the trailer while the husbands do truck/trailer duty. She had lost confidence trying to steer our boat. I got a few scratches. :cool:

I'm going to have ask Jeff if he would take a trade in on an unused set of Ultimates for these Vipers.
I really like the design of these. Looks like he really thought them through... Been hearing good feedback about improved reversing on the 190 forum.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hoping mine arrives today. Only been out 3 times but already feeling much better at the doc. Hopefully with the addition of the Viper will make it a bit more like an OB or OD setup