• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet

Mbruce122

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 2021 195s on order and was looking at the CJ. Which one does everyone go with and will it void the warranty?

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
following. waiting myself. Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 is what i got after reading post on here. Didnt ask about warranty tho. hmmm. good point lol

Colindarling

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t speak to the warranty; but I just installed my Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 on my 2021 Yamaha 195s and I took it out on the water for the first time today. It was an excellent upgrade, low speed/reverse maneuverability was dramatically improved for the better.

I also noticed at high speed that the boat tracks better than it had without the kit. I’m very pleased and wanted to offer and endorsement from a fellow 195s owner.

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I like the idea of the Viper being a little wider and a larger planning surface, with top fangs you’re adding another pair in the water while docking and loading.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put the CobraJet super ultimate on a 2021 AR190. It was worth every penny. Much better handling in all situations and much smoother getting up on plane.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Idk which one he put on my boat, but I recommend!

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’ll be installing mine over the winter. So the results will be much anticipated come spring. I have no doubt they will perform. Fast response and delivery.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
People occasionally ask this warranty question and the response is this federal law Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act
I have been making steering enhancements for jet boats and p w c's for close to 2 decades. Never had any issues. Over 11 thousand Yamaha jet boats have installed my steering with no problems to my knowledge.
I personally had my 1800 engine done under warranty The p w c had my steering . I had other warranty work done when a sensor failed no problem there either I Never had any issue.
I do not remove the factory stainless steel standoffs from the reverse hoods so if you are not removing Yamaha parts and replacing them with non factory parts I don't see any issue. Even my old steering from years ago that was bolted directly to the nozzles did not void the warranty.
One thing I am sure of is crashing the boat into the dock and damaging it will NOT be covered under warranty!

Justin2431

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t have my boat yet, but still buying my aftermarket parts 😄. Called them and they advised the new super ultimate deluxe AK for my 21 AR195. I have a small background with power sports and if any dealer voided your warranty because of a CJ your at the wrong dealer.

Rhyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
has anyone ever successfully used Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act for boats? People quote this on the camaro site I am on but there has never been a successful case for vehicles where that was used to try and force the dealer to perform warranty work on a modified camaro. the manufacturers have a legion of high paid lawyers and they seem to always use the "who knows how this effected other things" defense.

Rhyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that being said, has anyone been turned away from warranty repairs because they had this on? Seems like if so, it would be easy enough to remove before taking it in to the shop right?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
that being said, has anyone been turned away from warranty repairs because they had this on? Seems like if so, it would be easy enough to remove before taking it in to the shop right?
I don't even know what possible warranty issues you could even have. Both my local dealers sell steering kits so safe to say you will never get crap from a dealer.

Rhyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know what possible warranty issues you could even have. Both my local dealers sell steering kits so safe to say you will never get crap from a dealer.
good to know, after dealing with car warranties where they claim its voided if you use a different air filter or add a tach they didnt install for you, I am gun shy about warranties :)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
good to know, after dealing with car warranties where they claim its voided if you use a different air filter or add a tach they didnt install for you, I am gun shy about warranties :)
You had a dealer give you crap about a non-oem air filter? That way be the most ridiculous dealer story I have heard.

Rhyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You had a dealer give you crap about a non-oem air filter? That way be the most ridiculous dealer story I have heard.
Ya GM/Chevy has gotten stupid about mods. i was told by one GM VP its because of when the government took over briefly, one of the cost cutting moves was to make it so GM only paid cost to the dealers on warranty repairs, and let the individual dealerships decide if it was under warranty or voided.

As warranty repairs went from easy money to actually costing dealerships money, because it was taking space and time from their mechanics who could make more money on regular repairs now, and they gave dealerships the ability to decide, many dealers will jump on anything even remotely theoretically possible to get out of it now.

As another example, I bought my Camaro in 2012, it had an alarm on it about the gas tank gasket. the one they put in to vent fumes so you dont go up in a fireball if you get hit from behind. This was a gasket issue mind, on a vapor vent. No problem, I got it on the paperwork so I hoped it wouldn't be an issue.

i got it "fixed" then. it came back a few months later, took it in to get "fixed" it came back about a year later, (They had since discovered that whoever they bought the thing from was manufacturing them slightly off. so they were aware of the issue mind ) they took it back to the shop, they saw I had a tune on the car, claimed the warranty was void, because, they said, who knew what the tune (foreign software) did to the engine that might of caused a bad gasket,a gasket not on the engine, but on top of the gas tank, how a tune would effect that who knows,( mind you, it wasn't a racing tune, I just had it set to not use the stupid limited cylinder thing at stop lights) but they were all, it has a tune its voided. I stated look at your records, this was a problem when i got it. they were like oh.. ok we will fix it then. They obviously had put the car on the machine, seen the tune, and just immediately started screaming warranty voided..

Judging by the boards I am by no means an isolated case. The main problem is, the individual dealers decide so you can go to one and theres no problem, but go to another and they scream voided, and once they do its in the system. Theres places people drive hours out of the way because its posted they dont play those games.

The irony..the tune I had on it is literally one you can get the dealer to install at three times the price as a third party, but because they didnt install it it was foreign software :)

So ya, I'm a bit weary :)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Our local dealer actually sells them - it would be hard for them to turn anyone away....

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not boat related but I know Audi will flag your car if they find a tune.
Subaru is another one on modded STi or WRx
VW now will sell you an APR tuned car and still have warranty granted it's much more than base but it has warranty.

I learned as I got older it does not pay to mod if you want to keep warranty. Once warranty over it's fair game but it takes thousands to go 1 mph faster. Just buy faster ski or boat.

Look at Yamaha with the SVSHO and tuning with Riva maptuner, Dean's tune and others. If it's a dealer installed mod I would feel better knowing I can point finger at them but dealer will find way to cover their ass(bad TC, SC failures, cracked heads)

That's why it pays to turn a wrench and be part of forums to share and learn from others. Makes it more interesting than waiting for dealer to tell you what' others have already gone though and made threads to save us from stealership. Granted not all are bad but they are all motivated by making us pay and wait only to get it back in worse condition or not done right. Ruins everyone's spirit but theirs.

sorry for rant.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
haaaa That is so funny this is not new by any means but that entire subject was put to bed many years ago.
20 years of making jet boats steer and over 11,600 Yamaha jet boat customers. My personal warranty work was always covered, never a problem even had an engine covered. The federal laws are quite clear on this and I do ALL my own services as well so I can tell you even Yamaha executives have put my systems on their personal boats, simply put in order to not cover an item that had a modification done They must prove that the modification caused their part to fail and if they do they can only exclude that part they can not void the warranty.

Rhyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good to know, just gun shy. i have seen many suits fail over warranty voiding on apparently minor or unrelated mods. Also they know most people aren't going to pay the cost and time over relatively minor costs. incurring 5k+ in lawyer and court costs and spending days in court to force them to do a 1300 repair is not in the cards for many, including me :)

Thx for the replies