• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra vs JBP fins

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat is a 2020, but looking for advice from 2019 owners with the new keel and reverse bucket.
So I'm looking into both of these. I like the JBP fins with the lateral thruster combo. It will boost slow steering in both forward and reverse.
Now I've also emailed Cobra about their similar setup. They have told me their new AK ultimate fins you do not need the "fangs" for reverse.

So I'm looking for real time usage info from yall.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do water sports the Cobras are great, down at speed, really plant the stern down. I had those in my 2012 190, wouldn’t want to be without.
Not sure how the new AK 190s handle I suspect not much difference. Except they have lateral thrusters for reverse from factory.

Magyar86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Lateral thrusters don’t fit 2019+ boats. Hopefully they come out with them soon. I just ordered the vector x for my 2019 so we will see how they do and report back.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As I told him my system has the new super fins with the extra fin surface on top of the fin to give additional steering assistance in forward and reverse when the boat is off plane . The cobra systems are tempered aircraft aluminum , they are adjustable and do not hang way below the nozzle basically even with the bottom of the factory rudder yet they provide exceptional steering assistance at all speeds, in all conditions, in wind waves and current. .
I always give you a 30 day money back guarantee, if you put them on your boat and you are not happy with the results you can return them.
18 years of experience making jet boats steer and drivers smile, the innovator of aftermarket jet steering. The super ultimate AK-19 system would be the best $235.99 you ever spent on a new boat because that is what you get, a new boat !

Attachments

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm getting cobras but I don't feel I need any more help backing up. New buckets do the trick for me.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You don’t need the lateral thrusters for 2019+ models. The new bucket on 2019+ does basically the same thing.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
After a lot of reading and deliberation I ended up going with the Cobra Ultimate setup and have never looked back. My only real turn off to the JP setup was that it was not effective on plane at speed. I wanted response if I had to suddenly cut the throttle and still steer or I should say steering input at all speeds. JP may have updated their system to do this but not at the time of my purchase.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You don’t need the lateral thrusters for 2019+ models. The new bucket on 2019+ does basically the same thing.
Just not quite as good in my opinion.

After driving my boat (a ‘19 242) and a buddy’s boat (‘14 240 with lateral thrusters), his is much more responsive when pushing the rear around.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Really. Was always interested to see if it was similar.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Really. Was always interested to see if it was similar.
Well, you can see the physics of it. The stock nozzle is going to push thrust down and to the side. Which is better than straight down like the older style nozzles. But, compared to the JBP product that is actually pushing water at 90 degrees from the boat.... it better swing the rear around better. At least, that's how I look at it. :)

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm currently running the Cobras with fangs on my AR190. I like them. I have deployed all the time, so while running fast and slow.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just not quite as good in my opinion.

After driving my boat (a ‘19 242) and a buddy’s boat (‘14 240 with lateral thrusters), his is much more responsive when pushing the rear around.
I wonder about it, too. The 2014s have no AK though.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Didn't know the Cobra Ultimates basically had reverse features built in. They did answer my email very quickly, and that means alot. I'll be ordering them really soon

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Didn't know the Cobra Ultimates basically had reverse features built in. They did answer my email very quickly, and that means alot. I'll be ordering them really soon
The Cobra Ultimates do not have the reverse features, the stock reverse bucket was redesigned in '19 and is where the improvement. I believe the Ultimates reduce the new reverse buckets steering effectiveness. Just look at a set installed, they block the sideways thrust. I have the Cobra Jet on my 19 SX190 and had to change how I used reverse when I installed the fins. The forward motion benefit far outweigh the reverse degredation. Before Cobra Jets we used the no wake mode and just switch between forward and reverse quickly. With the Cobra Jet, maneuvering is very close to a stern drive. The reverse requires more thrust to steer so we no longer use no wake mode, but with the fins the no wake mode is no longer as necessary.

Working with Cobra Jet was great and would purchase from them again, just want to set the correct expectations.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Single engine, go with cobras. Otherwise you will get pulled around a lot when towing anything. Double engine, pick your poison.

Very interesting to hear that stock new buckets aren't as good as LTs. So that means that 19 and newer get shafted in that department because LTs aren't an option. Now I just have to get off my but and install those darn things.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All the new super fins have a larger top surface to increase the reverse steering as well as the forward steering when off plane.
Side thrust is a double edged sword I call my reverse REAL reverse. here is an example, I had a customer tell me he was trying to back his boat off the trailer with the lateral thrusters added and it would not move so he gave it some gas and the boat jumped sideways off the trailer he explained that he now has to sink the trailer deep enough to push the boat off and the same thing can happen at the dock etc also the reduced reverse thrust is reportedly making it difficult to back the boat when it has a lot of people in it as posted on facebook . So I focus on real reverse however I also focus on giving people a choice so most of my steering systems are cross compatible and I go out of my way to do that for people. As for twin engine boats I make steering systems that deal with all time steering even off power steering I know how to set the fins so that they do not create hard resistance in the helm at speed and make the boat handle in all types of conditions, yes I do have numerous styles of steering systems but this is what I started back in 2001 and this is what I stay focused on. So I now only sell the super steering and the vipers for Yamaha jet boats of all years and models.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR195 and after the first outing, i ordered and installed the Cobra Super Ultimates. Night and Day difference. Highly recommended.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Adding this for anyone looking in the future.....

Don't know why I didn't check my normal you tube before posting this thread, but here's a video on the Cobra Jet Steering for 2019 and newer boats. This is the AK19 system. In this video he clearly explains how it works in forward, reverse, at idle and high speeds. Needless to say I just ordered mine.