• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Communication Error: Check Keypad CAN

MrMelo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Both batteries are new and stay on a trickle charger. Took my 2018 242x to the dealership and they said it was throwing SCU codes 166, 184, & 191. They were able to clear codes 184 and 191 but not 166. They could not get the fault to replicate and said it was throwing a “ghost code”. Does anyone have a list of what these codes represent and a potential solution to this issue? Dealership mentioned having another boat with a similar issue and they thru all new parts at it (keypad, transducer, SCU, screen). They said they called Yamaha and Yamaha said it could be corrosion in the main wiring harness and recommend replacing the entire harness ($8k+). I’m a little worried but I think it might be a simple solution…

Attachments

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your house battery indicates 12.1v so you can start by checking that. Check the voltage at the battery and verify the battery is fully charged, then determine why there is a large voltage drop to your connext.

MrMelo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Your house battery indicates 12.1v so you can start by checking that. Check the voltage at the battery and verify the battery is fully charged, then determine why there is a large voltage drop to your connext.
Both batteries are less than 1 year old and were both good tested prior to start. Same issue if I have 12.7v or 12.1v on both batteries. If I turn the battery switches off & then back on after running for a little bit, the problem goes away. Dealer says they see SCU code 166. I don’t see any large voltage drops & don’t know what you mean by “why there is a large voltage drop to your connext”?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your original post says the batteries are good, but the picture displays 12.1v on the house battery which doesn't indicate a charged battery. If you check voltage at the battery terminals and it reads 12.7v and the connext display is showing 12.1v then there is a loss of voltage between the battery and the connext.

If I turn the battery switches off & then back on after running for a little bit, the problem goes away.
This also indicates to me that 1 of the batteries aren't fully charged. My suggestion is to check the battery with a voltmeter to see what is the actual voltage at the battery terminals.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Here is what @I_squared_r is talking about....

Depending on what type of battery you have, 12.1V under no load is 40 - 50% charge. When a lead acid battery drops below 50% SOC, you start to damage the battery and shorten its useful life the more that happens.

If your batteries are fully charged, under no load you should have over 12.4 - 12.6V. With the key on you will have some load but should be seeing more than 12.1V if your batteries have a good charge and can hold the charge.

You should pick up a battery load tester like one of these and verify your batteries are actually good under a load:

Your issue may not be a battery related issue but it would be worth verifying the batteries are still good under load..... age doesn't necessarily mean they are good. I have a battery in my car right now that is 5 years old that is fine but I have had a battery a year old that ended up with a bad cell and would not hold a charge at the levels it should.

Eliminate the simple things like battery charge and performance first. However, you could be seeing a large voltage drop if you have loose or corroded connections in your system (battery terminals, battery switches, grounds, etc.).

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 6.25.00 AM.png

Last edited:

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Here is a list of Yamaha Error Codes. They are for the Wave Runners but should be the same similar for the boats.

A 166 Code is MSLPS 2 Main Power Short/Ground Open so checking the batteries under load and then all of the main wiring connections as I suggested would be a good place to start.

Attachments

MrMelo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Your original post says the batteries are good, but the picture displays 12.1v on the house battery which doesn't indicate a charged battery. If you check voltage at the battery terminals and it reads 12.7v and the connext display is showing 12.1v then there is a loss of voltage between the battery and the connext.

This also indicates to me that 1 of the batteries aren't fully charged. My suggestion is to check the battery with a voltmeter to see what is the actual voltage at the battery terminals.
IMG_4390.jpegSame issue no matter how much I charge the batteries…

Attachments

MrMelo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is a list of Yamaha Error Codes. They are for the Wave Runners but should be the same similar for the boats.

A 166 Code is MSLPS 2 Main Power Short/Ground Open so checking the batteries under load and then all of the main wiring connections as I suggested would be a good place to start.
Incorrect. Those error codes are solely for wave runners and have nothing to do with the 242. I went by the dealership and asked them to print out the codes…
Also, I had the batteries load tested and they tested perfectly. No corrosion around any of the terminals, all terminals are super tight, all main wiring connections are solid. 🤙🏽

Attachments

Last edited:

MrMelo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
UPDATE #1:
I called Yamaha directly and they mentioned that my issue might be fixed by a software update. Apparently there is a technical bulletin out (B2018-007A) for Yamaha dealers to update to version 37 or 39. I’m currently at version 31. I’m waiting for my dealership to fit me in for this update to see if that fixes the problem…

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the update. I ended up pulling out the service manual for my 275 the other day and saw the codes were different. I was going to copy the pages for you but I got side-tracked.

Hopefully the software update solves the issue. If you have had the boat since new, interesting a software issue would rear its ugly head now but you never know.