• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Condensation in the RPM gauge

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have bit of a condensation in the rpm gauge. It's not too bad but still concerns me. Had this happen to anyone and if there is a fix for it? Thanks

Attachments

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happened in my 2015 ar240 and it fried the Guage which supplies power to other things. I was able to twist the face off and get to the insides to dry it pretty easy but it was to late. Also my gauge does look different so I don't know if yours will come apart the same.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Wow a 2015 and it has condensation already? I better go seal it up

scott1001001

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up my ar190 a couple of days ago, and I thought I noticed the same thing. My boat is in storage, so I can't check right now. How would you seal this? I may just disconnect the entire console and bring it in to the dealer.

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The gauge comes out real easy. Couple of connectors that snap right off then a big plastic nut you can twist off by had and it pops right out

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have bit of a condensation in the rpm gauge. It's not too bad but still concerns me. Had this happen to anyone and if there is a fix for it? Thanks
@blacksapphirez .... any conclusions on this? I notice a bit of this condensation on my '16 AR190 when we first get out in the sun, but it seems to cook-off during the day, but always seems to come back on the next outing...???

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez .... any conclusions on this? I notice a bit of this condensation on my '16 AR190 when we first get out in the sun, but it seems to cook-off during the day, but always seems to come back on the next outing...???
mine does the same thing doesn't seem to matter what the temperature is. It's annoying and a known issue, just not sure it's worth the hassle of going to yamaha and complaining

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Sorry got a 240 since then...

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never happened on my 2008 SX230 gauges. Have had 2 fogged gauges replaced on my 2013 242 LS under the YES warranty.

fiendi5h

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same thing on my 240. Eventually the gauge display died also. I had the dealer replace the unit

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure what the protocol is for refencing intelligent responses from thehulltruth, but I read this post from Jethro1 awhile ago, when I was looking into my tach moisture problem on my 242 LS ... his response is excerpted below

"The leak in your console is most likely NOT the cause of moisture in your instruments.

What happens is that moisture laden air flows into the gauge when the atmospheric pressure rises. Then, when the temperature outside of the gauge drops quickily the moisture that is inside the gauge will condense on the inside of the lens. Just like when water forms on the outside of your glass of beer when moisture laden air contacts the cold surface of the beer mug.

As noted, turning on the instrument lights will help to warm up the inside of the gauge and the water on the inside of the lens will evaporate quicker than it otherwise would. Another tip is to carefully drill some 3/16th inch vent holes on the back side of the case of the gauge. This will allow water vapor to exit the case more quickly (increased air flow) and will also help to reduce the temperature differential between the inside and outside of the instrument, which causes the problem in the first place."

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys... i have 2014 SX190 and although i didn't have moisture issue, my guages went out completely. Luckily they were still under warranty but the Yamaha tech said it is common that the gauges collect moisture and when they do they tend to go bad. If it wasn't for the warranty it would have been a thousand dollar issue. I read on another post about drilling a hole on the backside to equalize the inside/outside atmosphere of the gauges but i can't speak more about that. I wanted to reply to this post to bring it back up. My warranty expires early 2017 and i don't want to have to fight the same issue... If anybody has suggestions or thoughts i would sure like to hear it.